1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Thom Hogan Barely Recommends The J1'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Dec 12, 2011.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do you think he could really "not recommend" something from Nikon? Would have a significant impact on his cash flow I reckon ...

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Actually, Thom has been openly critical of Nikon quite a number times - basically whenever they have deserved it. And Thom was an early adaptor of micro four thirds. So I'm not suprised by his candor. But given the raves the 1 series has received generally so far, it's a bit of a surprise he's not as impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes. Thom has NOT recommended Nikon bodies - First one that comes to mind is the D3000 :smile:
    Next question? :wink:

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I looked at the Nikon 1 system but I was not impressed overall. Just so you know I started many years ago on a used Nikormat and have been a Nikon fan ever since. To me the 1 seems like a "Hipster" device. I would have said entry level DSLR but they priced it too high for that.

I have never used it so I can't say for sure but it seems like nothing more than a coolpix point and shoot that you can switch lenses on{all 3 of them}{yes I know there is an F mount adaptor}made in flashy colors and overpriced by 25%.

6. iau

iau Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    I was very disappointed when the small sensor size Nikon 1 were announced but some surprisingly good reviews (Steve Huff and Bjørn Rørslett at NikonGear) convinced me to try it out. Got the J1 w/10mm as the V1 is too big and IQ should be about the same. I agree with Thom on several of his points - especially the handling, but overall I like the camera very much.

To me it is a replacement for a P&S. For someone stepping down from a D3s I guess the V1 seems small, but I only have a D7000 and also use a X100 "in between" the P&S and DSLR. Had a GF1 for a while, but let it go when I got the X100. Then bought the GF3 because I wanted something smaller, hated the shutter sound so I got a LX5. Hated the shutter lag so I got the J1... The idea of being able to use my Nikon lenses with AF also had something to do with it.

I often think the manufactures goes wrong when believing that these cameras are for people upgrading from P&S. They make them dumbed down because they don't know that it often is more advanced users/enthusiast looking for something pocektable. People discussing these cameras also seems to be coming from a DSLR or other system camera. The main thing I miss with the J1 is the DOF from the X100. But I still have the X100... Oh, and I hope for some good primes to come in 2012.

Now I'm also very tempted to get the GX1 although I don't need it. I have my DSLR system that I "love", but prefer to use the smaller cameras.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I suspect that Thom Hogan's target audience is very different than Nikon's target audience for the 1 system.

Only time will tell.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    He is right about the grip. My biggest complaint with the e-pl3 is that it has none.

In regards to his complaint about he differences in UI, he's wrong. While there should be some familiarity between products, UIs should be designed to be useful and easy to use for the intended audience. I've played with the j1, and its nice for what it does.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    C'mon now, just look at the mode dial. Do you really need to go any further than that to see that this is a P&S? Not even a replacement for a point-and-shoot - it is a point and shoot, with interchangeable lenses.

There's no PASM, there's just Stills and Movie mode, with a couple extra "smart" auto modes thrown in - like the most basic of point-and-shoots. Sure, you can change exposure and stuff "manually" - through the menu system just like any other point-and-shoot.

I don't know why people think that having interchangeable lenses makes a camera not a point-and-shoot. The term "point-and-shoot" defines how the camera is made to be shot, not what lens is in front of it. Though I must say that the lack of focus rings on the lens does also lend itself to a point-and-shoot function.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Parts of the review reflect the same reasons why Nikon has never really had good traction in the high end point and shoot market.

• Like Like x 1
  11. iau

iau Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    Not sure if your reply is meant for me, but what I meant was that I want to use it instead of my P&S. Something I can get in my jacket pocket when I need both hands free and something that doesn't scare people off if I bring it out in a social setting. I do not need interchangeable lenses (and never said so), but I want a small compact camera with a good lens. The slightly bigger sensor is a plus but it's more important that it is more repsonsive than a regular P&S.

I usually set the mode dial to A(perture) and leave it there.