This was a hoot!

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Gary Ramey, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Okay so hike only about a mile from the house. Find an nice owl. Pull up to shoot and realized I left my SD card back in the reader..grrr. Hike back, get card, then return. Owl is now gone. A little discouraged, I began looking around and found two yearlings sitting in the dense part of a pine tree. After some stalking, I managed to get a somewhat clear view of one of them. :biggrin: So taken with OMD, 50-200 with 1.4TC

Attached Files:

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Nice shot! I admire your persistence.

How's the performance of the 50-200 on the OM-D? I assume AF is slow, but how usable is it for your purposes?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw that you addressed my question in another thread.
  3. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Thank you. So far, I'm not a fan of the AF with legacy 43 lenses. I was so disappointed in their AF performance I have pretty much upgraded my entire 43 glass to newer M43. This zoom is the only one left in my collection. Now that I've learned how to use it with the OMD, I'm happy with it. It only takes a flick of a finger to focus manually so it is usable. Additionally, the magnfication feature allows you to manually focus on a narrow area like the eyes which should improve static shots. For moving subjects...I usually prefocus on a spot and hope I get it right.
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  5. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    No one gives a dirty look like an owl. Great shot.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
  8. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    A hawk or eagle would never sit still for this!:wink:
  9. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Juan...haha. Hey I got my 150-500 in the mail. Now I'm waiting on the adapter. I should be able to field test next Saturday. Maybe see if I can catch Momma Owl in flight.
  10. poisson rouge

poisson rouge Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
  11. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Nice shot. I like the placement of the owl in the frame. I went on a couple mile hike at the Peaks of Otter in VA when I was dating my wife a long time ago. On the way there I bought some film for my camera, and realized after we got to the top I left the film in the car, though I had my camera and lenses. I didn't go back down. She still married me, so it probably wasn't because of my photographic skill :)
  12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011