This that or both?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by mallmand, Mar 14, 2014.

1. mallmand

mallmand New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2012
    I have seen several member mention shooting an em1 and gx7. As of Monday I will be in this camp and wonder what value others have seen in a panalympus cross kit. I plan to leave my 7-14 on the gx7 and 12-40 on the em1 for a killer walk around set up in Nepal next week. Anyone else carry both brands?

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    I do, but my G3 is soon to be a backup body to a pair of lightly used E-M5's. But, I like features that each brand offers, and tend to use the models accordingly. And, I still have an interest in the GX7, so I am pretty sure that I will remain brand agnostic for some time to come.

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    I like having two bodies for two reasons: backup on trips or at important events, and having two lenses mounted and ready to shoot without changing.

I have the E-M1 and GX7 kit. The E-M1 is my "serious" camera: it has a L-bracket for tripod use, is weatherproof, love the focusing, EVF and IBIS. I'll take this if I'm going to shoot something. The GX7 is my carry-around camera - it's in my bag every day. I love that it's lighter and smaller (no EVF hump, no l-plate), and the tilting EVF is great for shooting grandkids.

If Olympus had a camera with the GX7 specs, I would probably have that instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I like having a dual body kit, but unless one does something significantly better than the other (which, with the GX7, could just about be argued for the 7-14; for me it's the A7r, which definitely adds something different) I prefer to have two identical models. Muscle memory is the same, they're easily and fully interchangable, and most importantly they use the same batteries and chargers.

I don't really feel there's a huge difference between the two in terms of ease of carry. I have the RX100 if I want something that's actually pocketable, for when I go out without a bag. If I have a bag with me the difference between an E-M1 form factor and a GX7 would be too small to make the difference. GM1, maybe.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I liked having one camera from each brand because each does things differently and they have different strengths and weaknesses that balance each other out. There are also some small lens compatibility issues that exist between Panasonic lenses and Olympus bodies which are not present on Panasonic bodies. Presently though my GH1 is getting a bit old and while I still love it for a lot of reasons it sometimes disappoints me and lacks a few of the mod cons I have come to enjoy. The problem I found with Panasonic is that there wasn't really an upgrade path that gave me the features that I wanted in a body style/size that I wanted and at a price that I wanted to pay and so I ended up with an E-P5 to shoot alongside my E-M5. This combination makes sense for a number of reasons but I still like the idea of teaming a tilt-screen Olympus with a flip-and-twist-screen Panasonic.
  6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    You might consider the GM1 rather than the GX7. That body combined with pancake lenses make a really compact package. Otherwise the GX7 is a good companion to a pro body.
  7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have 2 G3's, an EP1 and an EPM2, I am pretty easy going when it comes to using either which ever I can get for a good price as all the 16mp bodies seem quite useable. I don't have an issue with diff layouts apart from zoom direction as I pre digital days had all sorts of bodies; Canon FD (motor sport) Leica and Fuji MF RF Urban, Deerdorf and Yashicamat for portraits. The Canons were replaced by OM after some A hole stole them.
  8. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    "panalympus", that could catch on! :smile:

I have the E-M1 and GM1. For a secondary camera, I wanted something very small to use with fast primes and when traveling very light, as well as to carry with a normal zoom when using the E-M1 for something more specialized (macro, long telephoto). I chose the GM1 over the E-PM2 mostly because of its silent electronic shutter option and the ergonomics (I prefer the button placement and wanted an add-on grip). I do wish the GM1 had IBIS though (I'd be okay with a slightly larger size if necessary). So I don't see any problem choosing one from each brand if that best meets your specific needs. I do agree with mattia though that if I was shooting events or something like that I'd rather have two cameras that were identical, or much more similar.
  9. mallmand

mallmand New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2012
    Well two weeks in nepal taught me my lesson, the em1 is so complex and capable that I wish I would have spent my time mastering it's capabilities rather than gaining competence on both cameras. And the gx7 feels like a toy next to the em1. Image quality was all but identical, but the em1 hardware performed masterfully in so many situations. I have now sold the gx7 and all pany lenses and am building my Em1 understanding and a oly lens kit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mu-43 mobile app
  10. mallmand

mallmand New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2012
    Incredibly beautiful place to take photos though!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mu-43 mobile app

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1