This strikes me as an interesting addition to the population of adapted lenses.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by GBarrington, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just bought a cheap c-mount APS-C 50mm 1.8 lens for adapted use. It's actually pretty darn sharp in the center and improves once stopped down. I wouldn't be surprised if this lens was actually decent.
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I have the original one from canon and it is not that useful as you can not control the aperture. It is like a fixed 1.8, good for some things, not for everything.

Unless there is some trick to stop it down that I do not know.
  3. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Get a adapter with built in aperture, you can find them on ebay.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, except the aperture in the adapter leads to poor optical performance. The location of the iris in a lens design matters - a lot. Using an external iris in the adapter increases lens aberrations. Example:

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Buying one to put on a speedbooster, probably not to actually use it but rather to see how degraded an image I can make before it becomes useless by putting sandpaper to it.

Sort of a cheap lens to use for sandpaper torture tests, who is with me?
  6. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    With the wide range of classic manual focus 50mm's I don't really see the point, is the EF 50 pretty much the same as the FD one anyhow? But given there are a ton of M42 FD MD and L39 50's that can be had for a couple of drinks with no issue stopping them down it seems a lot of work to get it to work. I am keen on the FSU Jupiter 8 and the Helios 58mm both are pretty direct copies of old Zeiss designs with bags of character.
  7. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Well, he asked for adjusting the aperture, and using the Nifty fifty i dont think imagequality was the number one prio here :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    OK, good point! Personally though, I think I'd avoid EF for adapted lenses. There are a whole bunch of 50/1.8 lenses to be had for very cheap that would be easier to use I think. Getting an adapter with an iris in it just to use the Nifty Fifty feels like it might be a bit self defeating :smile:
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Not to mention the EF adapters with apertures cost just as much as an even better legacy 50mm f1.4 does in the first place...