1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

This or that?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by soma, May 15, 2011.

1. soma

soma New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2011
    I'm trying to save money and from what I hear, the sharpness of the lumix lenses are much better than the olympus. So I decided to buy either a e-p1/e-pl1 with a 14mm lens from panasonic to take advantage of the olympus in body stabilization and the sharpness of the panasonic. This will cost around 600 dollars. I'm a sucker for aesthetics and the e-p1 though lacking many things, is still pretty.

Is this a good choice or should I just go for the e-pl2 or gf2 kit?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you can find them used, mixing and matching could be fine, otherwise, you're probably better off getting the kit and adding the lenses to that later.

That said, I don't understand the EP1 in today's market ... More expensive, but not as good controls, image quality, or IS as newer, cheaper models.

Also, I find it interesting that you talk about sharpness/IQ of Panny lenses, then pick one of the "dogs" in the lineup...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I agree with you. The E-P1 is easily the best looking camera in the group. The E-PL series "lost" the cool look of the original. The E-P1 is easy enough to find to find used. I'd pick it up with the collapsible zoom and and keep an eye out for a used Panny lens.

I sold my e-p1 around a year ago, because i wanted the speed of focus of the Panasonic that the Oly lacked, but I still miss it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. soma

soma New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2011
    I'm not sure what dog you are talking about, is it the 14mm? Although I would love to get a 20mm, the prices right now are outrageous, not to mention they are also very hard to find.

In one of Steve Huff's reviews, he said that the 14mm panny was much sharper than the 17mm olympus. Here is the image http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/100cropsvs17-680x612.jpg

I can only guess that the 20mm must be even sharper.

I really do like the e-p1 body and I can find them cheap for around 200-300 dollars. I would much prefer the e-p2, but they are even more expensive than the e-pl2. I agree with everything you say about the e-p1 and I think those are some major flaws.

5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    wait for the g3

• Like Like x 1
  6. soma

soma New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2011
    I hear it's a good camera. Not the size I'm looking for, I would rather get a dslr if I was aiming for something like that.

7. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Are you talking about the size or look of the G3? The G3 IS small, doesn't look much bigger than the GF1 and is significantly smaller than a DSLR.

8. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    It's definitely smaller than a dslr. It's more like a gf1 with the evf on it. I currently own an E-PL1 and while the image quality is very good (especially with the 20mm) the autofocus is sometimes painfully slow especially when shooting kids. I've been thinking about getting the G3 because I'll get faster AF, a built in EVF, an updated sensor and I like the swing out LCD as well.

If i do get the G3, the E-PL1 will probably become a dedicated Pinwide camera - I use the Pinwide *a lot*.

• Like Like x 1
  9. soma

soma New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2011
    Interesting, is it painfully slow even with the new 1.4 firmware?

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The slow AF is as much the original kit lens as the body, but the Oly AF is slightly slower than the Panny bodies with the same lens.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fotofotogger

fotofotogger Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    I own the e-pl1 with a lumix and the olympus 14-42 and i must be one of the few that really like the olympus kit lens -- maybe my eyes are bad or my standards are low (lol....) but in terms of IQ i have taken good fotos with it. It is slow and hunts for focus alot but so does my lumix lens.

Thats my 2 cents .....which my be only woth 1 cent......lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A lot of people feel the same way as you. The bottom line is that all of these are good lenses, so when you force reviewers to pick the one with less sharp corners, it doesn't necessarily mean we're talking about a bum lens.

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    By "dog" ididnt necessarily mean "bad" - just not as good as others in the lineup, especially at 14 mm focal length.

15. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The difference regarding sharpness is very much exaggerated by many people. The 14mm and 20mm have no problems regarding sharpness, but this is also true for the 17mm. The differences between a disciplined and a sloppy shooter regarding sharpness is much more significant. And there are so many other important qualities of a lens besides sharpness, such that I do not understand the very common fixation on sharpness alone.

16. soma

soma New to Mu-43

Mar 16, 2011
    Your profile pic says it all.