1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

This one or That one? Part II (photo help, not gear)

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by WT21, Dec 11, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Set 2 A & A

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Set 3 A & B

4. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Bad links!

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks!

Dang nabit! They work for me :(

What are you getting? Is it asking for a password or something?

edit: I think I may have fixed the links?

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    B, B and A for me

K

• Like Like x 1
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The problem for me is that I can't really see both at the same time, which makes it hard to compare.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    B (I like the clearer reflection in the center), A (love the texture on the cap), B (the proportions of the chair looks more natural)

• Like Like x 1
  9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    A, B, A for me.

Set 1 - very close, so its just personal preference
    Set 2 - again, its pretty close - the sharp contrast of light and dark is good (wavered a bit between A & B for while but on reflection the white/black thing trumps the greys)
    Set 3 - don't like the clipped chair so prefer the first shot

• Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    WT21-

Photography is communications. Writers use words to paint a picture. Photographers use images to tell a story. The three examples (six images) each tell a slightly different story ... so it is difficult to say which image is subjectively superior because each image represents a different story even though it may be composed of similar elements.

As an example - #2:
    The upper most image has the pipe cap as the dominant element and the eye immediately focuses on the cap. Because the element isn't sharp one's eye then turns to all the other elements of the image seeking out a more defined element. As there isn't a more prominent element then one settles on the cap and the story to me is of the cap and how it physically relates to other elements in the room.

The lower image it is quite apparent that the cap is the principal element in the image (even through it is blown out). The story is the cap, the cap is there, the cap is in good shape, the cap is connected to the bottom side of a Tee and to a lesser degree the position of the cap to a valve.

So a bit of narrative with these images would help 'focus' my input.

G

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks Gary (and everyone).

I'm going to post all these in a series soon, but these were some ones that I got stuck on. I'm trying to see if I have a B&W "style" as it's kind of new to me to shoot this way. So, this pic isn't really a stand alone shot, which perhaps makes it harder to judge.

For my series, I think I prefer the second chair shot, but as a standalone, I think I prefer the first, but I was wondering what other people thought.

This is all very helpful!

12. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    AAA for me

• Like Like x 1
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    B&W style??? I think you need to start seeing in B&W. Your images are way too contrasty for a typically "defined" as good B&W image. There are times when high contrast works ... but as a general style ... mmmh ... for me it would be hard to call it a style.

Two tips for black and white ... remember that many colors which are distinct in a full color spectrum world look similar in a black and white world (i.e. red and green). In B&W, look for contrast to define edges and objects not color. (i.e. a rainbow or sunset may be spectacular in color but fail in B&W).

Read some Ansel Adams books and you get a better appreciation of B&W and all the zones and gray scales which make up the B&W universe.

G

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hi Gary,

Thanks as always. I may have mispoken, or used terms that mean something to you, but less so to me. Just toying with something, really. I'll pass on the Ansel Adams books. I'm just messing around at present. Thanks a bunch, though. Your posts always make me think.