1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

This might has been asked before but...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Truebeam, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Truebeam

Truebeam Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    San Francisco Bay Area
    What settings do you use to export image from LR so you will get the best result (without loosing too much details and sharpness) while uploading here, or anywhere on the web, e.g., Facebook, Flickr, 500px...Many thanks in advance!

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I never upload anything directly from Lightroom. I always export a full sized JPG to a folder and then adjust size etc in Photoshop to suit the medium, and then upload.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I use 1600pixes., to 2400 pixels on the long end, sharpen for screen, 300dpi and around 80% compression .jpg (or whatever it's called)
    I think AMin said 1600x900ish was ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    That seems like double work. Why not just use an export preset (web, email, print etc) in LR and export to a folder? Why bother w/photoshop to resize (unless you need to do PP there)? Just wondering. Seems unnecessary.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I just prefer it that way. I use LR to make the RAW adjustments and PS for final touch-up etc.

6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    In LR 5.5:

ProPhoto RGB, Limit file size to 300k (this overrides and greys out the Quality slider)
    Resize to fit 1200x1200 pixels
    Sharpen for Screen, Standard amount

This works for all of the forums I post in, but was originally set to work for Nikonians.

For Flickr, I use sRGB and a Quality of 60.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The amount of detail and sharpness are directly related to the options you choose when exporting. It will take some experimentation, but you'll have to figure out what works best for your workflow.

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    If I understand correctly, sRGB would be a better choice for use on the internet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I've read that as well, and I'm can't remember why I specified ProPhoto, or whether I simply made a mistake. I guess I should try both and see what I think.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    sRGB is the only colour gamut that you should use for the internet, as monitors differ so much that using ProPhoto can lead to all sort of visual changes. ProPhoto is fine for your own monitor, especially if you do printing, that also applies to AdobeRGB.

11. Truebeam

Truebeam Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thank you all for your input. I also discovered that Nik has Output Sharpener where you can choose which format you want your pictures to be sharpened for. Just started to watch some tutorial on youtube. Anyone has any experience with Nik Output Sharpener?