This might be a topic already covered that I overlooked

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Mathom33, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Mathom33

Mathom33 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    This might be in the wrong section... Feel free to move to the correct one.

I know that our cameras can use almost any lens with an adapter. I'm also aware that you lose autofocus with adapter lenses. When I first bought my GX1 I read somewhere that Olympus lenses could be used and they retain the autofocus function. Is this a correct statement? I've stuck to panny lenses but want to venture out and try some oly lenses. I just don't want to worry about the loss of autofocus.

Is there an adapter that is required to Oly lenses on a GX1?
  2. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Any m43 lens will work on any m43 camera. Does not matter about what brand. If not an m43 lens, then you need an adapter and in most cases auto focus will not work.
  3. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Your Panasonic camera can use any Micro 4/3 lenses with autofocus abilities and still retain those abilities. This means that with your Panasonic camera, you can use Micro 4/3 Olympus lenses and still have full autofocus abilities. You can also use certain Sigma Micro 4/3 lenses and also have autofocus abilities. For any of these lenses you WILL NOT need an adapter.

What you probably are referring to is that your camera can also use lenses that are not Micro 4/3 mount. For example, you can take a very old (~30 years old) Konica Hexanon AR lens and, with an adapter, you can mount it onto your camera. This lens however will be fully manual (focus and aperture) as these lenses were made so long ago that autofocus was yet to be invented. You can also use modern lenses such as Canon or Nikon (which do have Autofocus), but once again you will need an adapter for them and you will lose autofocus abilities with them.

So in summary, any native Micro 4/3 mount lenses that have Autofocus (Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma, etc) can be mounted on your camera WITHOUT an adapter and you will still be able to use autofocus (if the lens has that ability).
  4. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I suspect the original poster might be (unknowingly?) asking about the Olympus four-thirds glass. In which case, the answer is yes - you can adapt 4/3 lenses to ยต4/3 bodies and retain the autofocus. It's not a cheap option though.