This is NOT photography

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Kalifornier, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    We'd like to think they are not photographers but the viewer of the images doesn't know how it was made and will marvel and how nice their photographs are. Hopefully they will be called out on the various media sites they promote themselves on and are shunned out of the business altogether.

What is true is their behavior is criminal. I'd hope the authorities there prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law, confiscate their gear and force them to delete their online photo accounts effectively erasing them from the world of photography.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Totally agree. the more I looked into it, I also found out the famous shots of fishermen with cormorants spreading wings or fishermen throwing out fishing nets at sunrise are totally staged. In fact, they dunk the birds into water so it is forced to open its wings to dry out. Some people >(

4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

You know cormorants dive for fish right?

5. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    These are tied to a string, held by their neck and simply dunked. Big difference!

6. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Did you read the link or ... ?

http://petapixel.com/2015/09/21/the...en-getting-the-best-shot-is-just-plain-wrong/

bird trigger warning: this apparently caused a guy to eat a lot of crow

http://improvephotography.com/34785/dark-side-of-photography/

7. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Yeah, i read his article. And one of the comments, at the very end, by a bird ringer, sums it up

"Grabbing a bird by the neck is an akward an unnatural position that may injure the bird. Dogs and cats are completely different species, and their way of carrying puppies have been evolved through hundreds of thousands of years. To my knowledge you will not find any bird species doing the same thing with their youngs. And because of that they doesn’t have the same kind of loose and soft skin on their neck that puppies and kittens have.

I know there’s a lot of domestic birds beeing handled by grabbing the neck, but that doesn’t make it any better: it’s just not a recommendable way of handling birds, wild or tame.

One can also question if it’s a good practice to collect wild cormorant chicks from their nests to be trained for this type of fishing, but I’ll leave that for others to do.

I think that we as photographers should let this ancient (and well documented) practice die out peacefully and in grace, and not help sustaining perverted imitations of it just for the sake of getting our own images."

8. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Is he upset about dunking cormorants or ... is that like, other than the actual admission that there was no research, the biggest giveaway that there was no research?

9. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    I am not sure what the intent of the author was. But even I had a laugh at the 'holding the cormorants by the neck is the safest way' line in the rebuff and i am no bird expert. Well, we can sit here and argue whose intent was what. Bottom line: Saying 'hey, I don't abuse animals, I merely documented an old tradition in which it is a part' does not give you a free pass. By glamorizing and/or financially supporting it, you are perpetuating the problem. Like the people who buy tickets to bull fights or go to visit Indian temples that abuse elephants for their processions.

10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I don't know, it seems kind of patronizing? Like - you might as well say, "what would you know about caring for oxen, subsistence farmer whose family's entire livelihood is dependent on having healthy oxen?" Maybe they could teach bird-wrangler-on-the-internet a thing or two about cormorants.

11. Kalifornier

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Agreed! It is a gray area.

12. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1