"This is Nokia's Lumia 1020, a 41-megapixel Windows Phone camera"

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by voltcontrol, Jul 11, 2013.

1. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    "This is Nokia's Lumia 1020, a 41-megapixel Windows Phone camera"
    Article on The Verge:
    This is Nokia's Lumia 1020, a 41-megapixel Windows Phone camera (updated) | The Verge

"Nokia's PureView camera on the Lumia 1020 will include a Xenon flash and F/2.2 lens, alongside a new Pro Camera application and the company's OIS stabilization. The camera app will provide access to white balance, ISO, focus, shutter speed, and other settings through a radial menu-like interface."

[​IMG]

Leaked UI shots:
    https://twitter.com/vizileaks/status/355106327216934912/photo/1

https://twitter.com/vizileaks/status/355224142024421376/photo/1

BO2XUruCUAA9PHG.

BO4CeaGCMAAdXFk.

Bring it on!

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Funny - I thought this was a Mu43 site???? we seem to be depreceating into everything but.

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yes, but there is an interest in high quality phone cameras here as well -- and no 4/3 sensor options. :)

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    This was the phone I've been waiting for. A Nokia 808 but with a modern phone around the camera module. But now I have to wait to see what the the Sony Honami has to offer. Two great choices, Windows and Android. Apple is missing in action.

Nokia Lumia 1020 EOS vs. Sony Xperia Honami: Comparison on Upcoming Camera Devices [PHOTOS] - International Business Times

The Nokia has the better sensor. The Sony is better in everything else. If the Sony is waterproof like high end Sony phones tend to be, that would be the clencher. Also, in a very unlike Sony move, Sony is quite hacker friendly for it's Android phones by actually supporting third party development of alternate firmware for it.

5. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    "Micro Four Thirds User Forum > Other Discussions > Other Systems"
    Well, you could skip the 'other systems' section which is reserved for systems other than μ4/3 if this post that is about other systems annoys you.

My intention was to share what seems like a quite an interesting development in the world of the smartphone with regards to the integrated camera of this new Nokia. Sorry to anyone who feels I've messed up their forum experience with this post, this was definitely not my intention.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I wouldn't worry about it all. See this thread.

https://www.mu-43.com/f35/why-mft-users-so-insecure-49131/

7. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut

I'm also interested to see if the rumors about a Nikon smartphone camera pan out, and what sort of camera the next Nexus will have.

I think that this really could speed up the end of P&S cameras, especially if you include what Samsung has been doing.

8. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well I personally find some of Samsungs offerings a bit odd, especially the Galaxy S4 zoom, which sensor is a bit too standard, and lens that protrudes a bit much for the average user. The Galaxy Camera is no better as it lacks calling capabilities in the North America. Their only real compelling Galaxy camera imho is the Galaxy NX.

That said it would be interesting to see how this compares to the Galaxy Zoom and Camera, especially since this has a 2/3" sensor. I take that once the 41mp(well 38mp cause of crop factor), is downsized to 5mp, it's noise performance would be equal to(or close), to say something like the Fuji XF1?

9. sammaritan12

sammaritan12 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2012
    I can't wait for a time where there is optical zoom in a smartphone the size of current phones (maybe just a bit bigger).

10. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    There is one phone that I know of that has optical zoom:
    The Samsung SGH-G800. It has 3x optical zoom. This phone was released in eleased in 2007 and my GF had one.

Optical zoom on a phonecam sounds like a 'next level' feature, but not too great (camera)software on the phone totally killed any advantage that the optics of the camera could have delivered on this specific device.

11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Right. That's it! I'm selling all my m43 gear and moving up to a Nokia! They are mirroless you know!

12. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut

I'm waiting for a FF phone camera. :biggrin: