This Is How Olympic Swimmers Really Look While Diving

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by dtchan, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    • Like Like x 5
  2. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    a-ha!! those for real?:eek::eek:
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  4. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    But did they (the divers) win a gold???? Funny though!

Aug 24, 2010
  6. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Halfway to having Innsmouth looks XD
  7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Real or not, this is hilarious! Thanks for sharing!
  8. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    Putting the curiosity hat on and sketching some numbers...

From the 10 meter platform (at which I'd say all those photos were taken), let's say one dive takes just over one second (gravity = 9.8 meters per second). Let's say some of those divers are trying to rotate three or four times in that second (do they do quads?). Four revolutions per second yields some serious force. There's more calculations one could do, but I for one am in total awe of those guys/girls.

Oh, and what an interesting change in the perspective of the photos - normally, we look at the blur of motion followed by the entry into the water.
  9. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    let's hope they do not ban photographer in the diving arena... (after this) haha
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Seriously funny! :biggrin:
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually 9.8 m/sec/sec so for 10m ~1.4 sec except for the little jumps they make which usually brings the total up to ~1.9 seconds. Recall the distance covered is g/2t^2 so t=sqrt(2*10/g) plus the little bit for some jumping.

Hitting the water at ~18 m/sec (40 miles per hour) is no joke. A belly flop from 10 meters would likely be terminal.

And yes they do quads and even 4.5 's !

As an aside as a practitioner of physical arts I'm amazed at the amount effort that goes into unneccesary motion. If anyone can explain or hypothesize how such dramatic facial expression aids in the performance of the dive (are any other art) I'd be very interested to hear.