1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

This is annoying me...Image numbering

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by derelict, Jul 21, 2015.

1. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    Okay, on my Pentax DSLRs, I would take a few photos, they would get assigned a number and I would process them. Shove the card back into the camera, clear the card and then take more photos. The numbering would continue in order. My EM10, on the other hand, does not. So now I have a lot of photos with the same number and a (x) next to them (the x stands for another number). I know that in LR I could just change the numbering but I am lazy and expect the camera just to keep track of the numbering. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Custom Menu H

3. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Sounds like you may have the File Name option set to Reset instead of Auto.

4. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    Found it and fixed. Thanks much.

5. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Since changing to AdobeRgb, my Em5 has been randomly assigning file names starting with "P" and also underscore. Any ideas on why it would start producing both? Surely its one or the other?

6. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    Why would you switch to Adobe? Advantages?

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Why would you capture in sRGB when you can capture is AdobeRGB which is a wider gamut? You can always drop gamut to sRGB when you output from post processing to a jpg file or to a printer. Shooting in AdobeRGB goes hand in hand with the "shoot to the right" technique with the histogram. Capture and keep as much data in a shot as possible. That goes for exposure and color information.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Actually, Olympus cameras are good in this file-naming feature. My Canon DSLRs (60D and SL1) have a really pathetic system - you only have the ability to start over each time or continue on (like the minimal Oly options), but you cannot assign a new starting letter (or whatever). So there is essentially no way with those two DSLRs to avoid occasionally getting 2 same-name images, one from each camera. I have to manually (in a batch mode) rename all the images from one or the other periodically. VERY annoying!

9. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    Never thought about it really. I will change it and see if I notice any real differences fit me.

10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Custom Menu H - Page 91 in E-M5 manual

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why would you be concerned about either because it only applies to the JPEG output or embeds it in the raw which can be selected either way when converting the raw file?

12. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    If it's only for jpeg, than I do not care. I shoot in RAW and jpeg output is done through LR.

13. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Correct, the selected colour space only applies for JPEG images. The only reason to chose AdobeRGB or sRGB if you shoot exclusively RAW is if you prefer one name format over the other.

14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The camera uses the settings for color space and processing options to generate the jpg preview that drives the EVF and back screen and is the data used to create the histogram. I want the histogram to as accurately as possible to match the potential of the raw data. I will stick with the AdobeRGB space and Natural style for creating the jpg previews. Inside Lightroom I work in ProPhoto color space. it costs nothing extra to use the widest gamut in creating the jpg previews and in the post processing workflow. I drop to sRGB only when I print or export for the web or email.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/in-camera-color-space-for-raw-shooters.html

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You want the widest gamut to work with, but what is the gamut ability of your computer monitor though? Also, I thought the AdobeRGB was useful or meant for printing but not for general display.

16. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    You can easily get wide gamut AdobeRGB IPS external monitors. Granted some of the high end one can be expensive. As a product line, it it is hard to beat Dell monitors for value. You can get a good AdobeRGB monitor from them for less than $500.
    http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-9567.
    A 4K version is less than $700. http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=860-BBCD

But if you want a large 5K panel that is AdobeRGB, the price goes up....
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=UP275K3&s=bsd&redirect=1

17. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    But if you want to put your photos on the web or email them you will need to convert them to sRGB.

And there are many cases where people change their camera to AdobeRGB based on the advice that it is "better" without understanding all the implications in needing a colour-managed workflow and they end up baffled at the poor results with bad colours.

I recommend people stick with sRGB unless they understand exactly why and how they are going to handle the wider gamut and manage every step of their workflow correctly.

• Like Like x 2
  18. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I am 100% happy with sRGB.