1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

This is about as cheap as it gets

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by naturecloseups, Jan 18, 2013.

1. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    After enjoying m4/3rds for more than two years for macro shooting and then sort of moving to Nex (adapted MAxxum/3rd party lenses) -- I relegated the E-PL1 to family portraits (an area so far served by the Fujifilm S100fs and Nikon film SLRs).

The E-PL1 coupled with the M.Zuiko 40-150mm/f4-5.6 probably is one of the cheapest m4/3 telephoto rigs you could buy. It turned out more than decent for photographying our 4&1/2 years old Kiddo. The light weight is a bliss.

• Like Like x 14
  2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Ah, NC, good to see you again :smile:. Been a while since we interacted on a forum. Looks like he's already learning the basics of keeping the camera parallel to the body of the subject :wink:. Which lens is mounted on that camera? And yes, the Oly 40-150mm looks pretty nice, I'm yet to try it though.

3. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Veeresh, good to see you here too. I cut down on my forums presence so I could focus on photography. Kiddo is still a few years away from appreciating why paralleling the sensor plane to subject plane is important :smile: For now he is busy learning manual focus. The camera shown is not an interchangeable lens camera, it is the Fujifilm S100fs, the best bridge cam that ever was this side of Sony DSC-R1 (and yes, I have used the Fujifilm X-S1 and Panasonic FZ-50, both very close seconds overall).

The Olympus 40-150 is more than decent as a lens. I have used it for macro once in a while with a Ø58mm Canon 500D achromat, but turns out it is more suitable for portraiture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That last shot is wonderful. I think there really is an initial rush of getting excellent results with a much lighter kit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    The last shot is too cool!

6. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Ah yes, I remember that camera. Quite an elusive one at that, haven't been able to find one for a while now. I remember the photograph you have made with the 40-150 and 500D achromat, it must be on this site.