This is a Mustang?!

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Walking around town, I ran across this.
P5010013.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P5010014.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a Mustang?! My eyes are bleeding, how can I unsee this? Help! All is lost!!

John M Flores

Super Moderator
It was a bold move by Ford to use the Mustang name on their first EV. And it makes sense that their first EV is an SUV shape, since they are so popular. I've heard good things about the car, and I wonder if it would have gotten as much attention if they had named it the Aerostar, Taurus, or some other Ford name?

Mu-43 Legend
It was a bold move by Ford to use the Mustang name on their first EV. And it makes sense that their first EV is an SUV shape, since they are so popular. I've heard good things about the car, and I wonder if it would have gotten as much attention if they had named it the Aerostar, Taurus, or some other Ford name?
Oh! This is serious!?!? I thought this was a joke and someone just did a custom front grill.

Yeesh. Mustang = wild and free. SUV = suburban living with kids and bills.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Pathetic swine that the Ford marketers are. I hated it when I first saw it and it hasn't improved. Unforgivable and indefensible.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Oh! This is serious!?!? I thought this was a joke and someone just did a custom front grill.

Yeesh. Mustang = wild and free. SUV = suburban living with kids and bills.
Guess where all those guys that bought Mustangs 20+ years ago to be "wild and free"? They're in the suburbs with kids and bills!

Mu-43 Legend
Guess where all those guys that bought Mustangs 20+ years ago to be "wild and free"? They're in the suburbs with kids and bills!
That was like 55 years ago and they’re in rocking chairs now :)

but it looks like a run of the mill Kia. Not worthy of the name IMO

davidzvi

Real Name
David
It's a brand now, not just a model under Ford.

Hey now! My first car was a '65 Mustang.

Of course by that time it was just a 9-year old car.
I had a chance to buy a 65 fastback in the late 70's. An all original burgundy with black interior. Just has a little pop dent in the front quarter. It only had like 30k-40k as I recall.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
It's a brand now, not just a model under Ford.

I had a chance to buy a 65 fastback in the late 70's. An all original burgundy with black interior. Just has a little pop dent in the front quarter. It only had like 30k-40k as I recall.
My dad and I bought, fixed them up, and sold them. Back then $150 for one that needed work, and $4-500 for one that was in good shape. The coolest one we ever had was a '66 convertible, candy red with a black top and a red 'pony' interior. Wood grained steering wheel and window cranks, a herd of mustangs racing across the plains embossed on the seat backs and other various interior appointments. Sold that one for $600. What's it worth now? North of $50K I reckon.

Also had a '69 Mustang with a 302 Boss, 3 speed stick, and...are you ready? A factory bench seat with a fold down arm rest. Only one I've ever seen. That 3 speed stick and bench seat made for some fun dates!

And on the same chassis I had a '68 Mercury Cougar.

Mu-43 Legend
I’m a bit more partial to the 68 Camaro. Just based on looks. Someone (a garage mechanic working on my then keep) offered me one in good shape with updates maybe around 2010 or so for I think it was $20 something thousand. I was too busy. I think they are a lot more expensive now.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
The guy selling the 65 I was looking at was selling it to buy a Shelby GT 500. I think he was asking $2,500 or $3,500? But it's been too long for me to really remember or remember the exact mileage.

But I remember that a few months after buying he did something that resulted in an engine fire in the Shelby, not pretty.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This article quotes Ford's Global Brand guy for e-vehicles as saying they chose Mustang so this vehicle would stand out in crowded e-vehicle field. Pretty weak rationale if you ask me, but I've talked to many, many marketing folks in my life and I seldom have known what they were talking about.

road&track article

If you consider the Mach-E vs some of the hideous 'stangs of the late 70s/early 80s I hardly think it's offensive. Maybe all the lesser Mustangs just make the others all the better. Not that those mid-to late '60s Shelby GT500s need much help.

Mu-43 Legend
Well, aside from my old guy routine around the name, my only other comment is <<yawn>>

the renewed Bronco is frankly more interesting to me than this also-ran

Latest threads

Top Bottom