This could be goodbye olympus.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by medroller, Sep 6, 2016.

1. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2016
    Queensland ,Australia.
    The e-m10, e-m1, and just bought the e-p5. I've had trouble with every camera And two lenses. Olympus has always fixed them, but I have to send them to olympus and the turn around usually takes 5 to 6 weeks. Most of us only do this as a hobby and it's only a camera , but the cost of postage and down time is annouying. I was going to go back to canon or have a look at fuji. Maybe it's time to head back into film with my old reliable chinons and ricohs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Rob Campbell
    just curious: are you buying new or used?
  3. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    New Zealand
    Perhaps try a Panasonic instead? Some years ago the Panasonic camera's were rated by an insurance company as being the most reliable.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    I've owned several Olympus cameras and never had a problem. I'm currently using an E-PL5.

5. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Wow! Incredibly bad luck. Not likely the norm, but that's cold comfort for you. In my seven years of using M-4/3 equipment, I've only encountered one issue – the casing around the focus limiter button on my Panasonic 45mm macro cracked and started to come off. A bit of black electrical tape is working fine as a fix.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    This is a reoccurring theme and not just with Olympus cameras though from my personal experience which I have delineated here in previous threads, reoccurring issues caused me to sell my Oly E-M10 bodies. However, I hear similar, though not as frequent issues, with many of the recent cameras.

In the past I set out on trips with my Pentax K series digital bodies and one zoom lens and never thought of carrying a "backup". The thought of camera failure never came to mind. My first Pentax digital was a 6.1mp istDS which I sold to a good friend with around 80K shutter trips. He recently sent me a photo and I checked and that body now has over 90K shutter trips. The only issue is that the rear dial skips. My Pentax K-110D is still going strong after 58K shutter trips and though it sits for long periods of time between usage the battery depletes slowly. I have had no issue with my K-5 before I traded it off though the shutter count was relatively low and the K-5IIs that is still here is like new. So what is with the new cameras? I hate to be paranoid but I feel that there is some degree of planned obsolesce built into the new cameras. As the market for cameras is shrinking manufactures need to retain the interest of those still willing and able to purchase cameras in order to sustain their market share. Specifying, or what we called "specing out" components with a short life span has become common. From asphalt used on roads to components for cars we are not getting the best that can be hand as far as durability. And how do they know that a particular light bulb will last six years under normal usage? Why not make it last 10 or 12 or as one such bulb, over 100 years? In the days of film we purchased a camera body and except for the pretentious few who had more money then brains and just had to have the lastest camera model, ( and some of them never used them) that camera we purchased lasted many years. ( I still have my Pentax ME Supers purchased in the early 1980's and they work.) Despite defects, camera manufactures rely on incremental releases of technology to keep buyers coming back and nothing will change that but I think, such as in my case, when a consumer has multiple negative experiences with a brand they look elsewhere and the manufacture looses not only a customer but also a brand supporter.

When folks ask me about the Oly brand I tell them about my positive experiences with the camera and the good quality images I got out of them. They were the cameras that pulled me away from DSLR's and I did not even know I wanted to get pulled away from DSLR's. But then I also have to explain why I no longer have or use those cameras. My remaining E-M5 is still ticking away though due to the problems with it's siblings it no longer gets used much as I just don't want to be on the road someplace and have it quit working. I am not one who has to have the latest and greatest. My new car is now 19 years old and my two motorcycles are both 18 years old and my golf clubs were made when woods were really wood. As long as the products I purchase such as my cameras keeps doing what it did the first days I owned it, I am usually quite happy. However when the life span of a product is shorter than expected then I have issues with that manufacture. I wonder how many cameras Olympus would sell if they were forced to list defects such as pharmaceutical companies have to do when advertising products. I can see it now. Under normal usage, camera wrapper will start peeling off after 10 months or 10k shutter trips, shutter will quite working after 12K trips, LCD good for 6 months etc. Your mileage may vary.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    could be a good idea, I have read not only once that Panasonic bodies seems to be great build quality. Buy a used GX7 or something and give it a try.

(Personally I have not experienced, or heard from friends, issues of the Oly bodies)
  8. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Ouch. I've had problems with an EM5ii selector switch which was turned round in a week. Guess I got lucky. Eve since, Oly have been great. If I was you I'd write in. Oly are excellent for customer support. IMHO.
  9. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Which two lenses specifically? (I know on my older E-P3, it really doesn't like my Olympus 45/1.8, but works fine on the E-M5).

I've toyed with the notion of going panasonic especially as my first E-M5 (used) had to be sent in for a sticky shutter when I got it, and then it decides to die completely a couple months back (though the second E-M5 I got used as well with only 2k shutters still seems to be going strong).

I played with a Panasonic GH4 I checked out from school, while I like the video quality a lot more and some of the options in regards to videos, I found it's menu system and other aspects to be too cumbersome for me to get used to in just the short time (bout a week and a half) I had to use it. Plus the body doesn't have image stabilization built in.
  10. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2016
    Queensland ,Australia.
    Firstly, in all fairness to Olympus, they have always honoured warranty claims made by me with great service and never insinuated that I was at fault. Secondly, the long turn around time is due to the very slow postal service we have in Australia.
    Thirdly , there are little kids going to bed thirsty and hungry and I'm whinging about having to send a camera back to be fixed (Shame).
    Just to answer some questions-
    All the gear I've bought is new.
    Em10- faulty dials
    14-42 pancake- stopped turning on.
    40 -150 kit lens -focus issues.
    e-m1- kept turning itself on and off. Rear dial.
    e-p5 - rear dial stopped working.

Going strong.
    12-40 pro.
    75-300 zoom.
    And my OM10 with my old glass :bravo-009:. My Chinon is still working like new.

Lastly , Ive seen reviewers on utube like Darren Miles and Chris Nichols from the camera store wonder if the product they had was maybe just a one off lemon. anyway gents, thanks for the feed back, cheers.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    hmmm, that is a lot of camera failure but not totally unheard of
    I sent back to warranty one E-P5 for real dial and main switch, E-M5 for sticky shutter (not fixed under warranty, bought OS) and the E-M1 has also started to have read dial problems (partially cured with me spritzing it with contact cleaner).
    Now, makes me wonder if shooting at the beach has something to do with it? you know, all that salty air and such.
    Are you a beach shooter too?
  12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I think that Olympus is probably being a little cheap and buys cheap rotary encoders for their cameras, hence widely-reported dial issues. There is really no other plausible explanation.
  13. Koru

Koru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    My E-M1 has been by far my most failing camera ever, and I'm very careful with my kit. Over 2.5 years first problem, most of the buttons failed and they replaced faulty electronics. Next the back vinyl peeled off. Later, C-AF stopped working, so they again replaced the electronics. At regular intervals the back wheel functions irregularly, a well known problem. Happened again last week, and the rapid back and forth spinning of the wheel has fixed it again. Until next time......
    My Canon and Panasonic have never been sent back for anything. Luckily I took out a 3 year extended warranty for the E-M1 and it has always been honoured. It's soon to run out. Although I love the camera, a cupboard full of Zuiko lenses is the reason I have not switched.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Just out curiosity if one was to give up on Olympus what is the equivalent Panasonic for the Olympus OM-D EM-1 and for the Olympus OM-D EM-5ii. Starting to worry now about my EM-1 :) I guess I could get used to the lens turning the wrong way :)
  15. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles but my experience is the opposite so I am. Not sure that switching to another format would automatically mean trouble free. Have you not read how many people go through 3, 4, even 5 Sony lenses before they get one that is actually a good copy? If you ever get a chance - get in a year and a half old AMG Mercedes-worse squeaking than in a VW. Comes free with your $150k car.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2016
    Queensland ,Australia.
    I like the olympus gear and love shooting with the E-m1. I'm sticking to the micro 4/3 system, but I think I might see if I can have a play with some panasonics . Have a look see at the menu system, etc. I have been looking at some panasonic lenses, Which I'll buy shortly. Not because they are better or worse than olympus. They just fit my needs.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to the weekend to get out and about for some photographing.
  17. medroller

medroller Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2016
    Queensland ,Australia.
    I wish Toyota would make cameras. :biggrin:
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Ignoring IBIS, since not all Panasonic bodies have it, and assuming you want SLR style with the central viewfinder rather than rangefinder (which I guess you could call PEN F equivalent) then I suppose it is something like EM-1 = GH4 and EM-5ii = G7, but they certainly aren't exact equivalents.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Had 3 Olympus bodies. PM1, PL5 and now PL7. First two were used or refurbished, the PM1 had faulty shutter, which was replaced within warranty and the PL5 had a loose control dial (that i didn't bother to get fixed). PL7 is going strong, for 10 months now.
    Even on this forum, i see the tendency that users post Oly faulty bodies more often than panasonic faulty bodies. Curiously enough, all my bodies had that weight to them, and the feeling that the camera is unbreakable. Friends that use pro DLSR bodies (d800, 5d3) had the same comments regarding perceived toughness.

That said, i also had similar concerns, bcs i planned to order Oly body from abroad and had no warranty that way. I tried the GX8, but it just doesn't feel right in my hands. I think i'm sticking with Oly bodies, at least until i get burned for real.

Good luck with whatever way you choose @medroller@medroller
  20. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I know exactly what you are going through and I feel the same way. I've had issues since my first oly body, the E-pl3 which i had to get replaced 3 times due to lcd and button feedback problems. My E-M5 had the cracked bezel, sticky shutter, peeling paint after 5 days use, eyecup that kept falling off and sd card error problems. It got to the point that I dreaded picking it up and turning it on each time I needed to use it for fear of having something new go wrong.
    Luckily for me Olympus here in Hong Kong are extraordinarily helpful, particularly the CSR employee that I am in contact with for all my issues. They fixed everything within 3 working days each time I had a problem and even replaced the top plate when I complained about the paint peel. Unlike most of you, I don't have to send it in by mail but rather take a 40 minute bus ride to a district I visit frequently and drop it off for a few hours or a few days, otherwise it would drive me totally mad waiting more than a week to get my camera serviced.

After that I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back to Olympus but found an E-m10 kit on clearance for a good price. For the most part it was good but had the digital spirit level miscaibrated out of the box, something that took them five minutes to fix but really not something that should have slipped through their QC to begin with.

It's frustrating as hell because they make such nice cameras with all that fancy engineering that people who understand that stuff rave about but seem to overlook some basic things. I know no camera is perfect and there are some faults to be expected, but the frequency and regularity that they occur in Olympus bodies is a lot higher than I'm comfortable with. I usually keep a body for a few months and try to sell it on before the warranty expires, which is a shame because I wish I could have kept my E-m5 after they fixed all the issues it seemed like it could have gone on for a few more years without something else happening.
    Funnily enough, the two bodies I bought used, the E-pl2 and E-p3 both worked perfectly and had no issues for the few months that I had them.

For some reason, this week I talked myself into buying an E-m1 something I did not need or could afford. Also, I did this being well aware of it's many issues with the viewfinder, lugs, dials etc.. I took another chance on an Oly despite swearing off the brand two cameras ago.
    Everything seems fine so far, dials responsive, evf is clear of green spots but I do check the lugs everytime I pick it up and I will need to visit my pals at the service center again because, like my E-M10 it came out of the factory with a miscalibrated digital level. I'm not as pissed of about this as was the first few times, I guess after many years of owning Oly bodies I'm used to it by now, not that that makes it ok. I really like my latest body, I'll get to enjoy it and savor it as much as I can because I know it's temporary and I'll probably not own it for more than the 15 month warranty period, if it even lasts that long without any major issues. That's the attitude I've come to take with this company and their m4/3 bodies.