1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

THIS AND THAT! My thoughts about m4/3 vs the rest of the world of cameras systems

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    It´s been awhile since I wrote something here. Been busy in the "real world".

I just thought that I had to write down my thoughts about the world of photography during this period of time.

We´ve been reading about full frame mirrorless; Sonys A7(r) and now rumors about Nikon entering small bodied full frame market as well. We also have Fuji updating the X-E series. Etc.

While looking at those systems, I find them tempting. But then I start to think about numbers. Add some lenses to those bodies and you need to have a hefty income. I have the Fuji X-E1 and X100s; I decided to not buy any more Fujinon lenses than the two that I have (XF18-55 and XF35) because of price.

Cost of a system is important to those of us who doesn't have a really big income or who hasn't won the lottery.

Cost of a system is one of the reasons why I love m4/3:s as a system. You can buy expensive m4/3 cameras like the E-M1 for instance but you can also buy an E-PM2 a lot cheaper.
    There are great lenses quite expensive but you can also find cheap tele lenses for instance.

One example; I wanted to add a tele zoom, I found the Fujinon tele zoom for my X-E1 to expensive (around 700€ if I remember correctly). Then I saw the m.Zuiko 40-150 for 115€. I bought the m.Zuiko and I am quite happy with the IQ for the money :)

One other reason for keeping m4/3:s as a system... Weight and size of course. I don't want to lug around heavy full frame lenses even if the bodies like Sony A7 are small bodies.

For me m4/3 as a system is a keeper. Even though I also use my Fujis. But m4/3 could be an only system too or complimentary. For me the price, weight and size are points that will keep m4/3:s as a system close to my heart :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I like using both M43 and Canon FF DSLRs. They're optimized for very different tasks but compliment one another well. While traveling I often carry both! And, yes, if I won the lotto I'd love to play with and own Fuji, Leica and Nikon systems.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The new Fuji XC50-230 is a bit cheaper at $399 USD..

4. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Agreed for all the same reasons :wink:

5. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    It is still more expensive than lenses like the m.Zuiko 40-150 :smile:

I like the possibility in a system (like m4/3) to get really dirt cheap lenses and get acceptable IQ as well. Fuji X system has got some cheaper lenses as of lately but not in level with m4/3.

6. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I think cost comes into it as there are some cracking bargins for m43 both in lenses and used bodies. I got a G3 with kit lens for £150 boxed and less than 1k shots, in a lot of respects its better than I could get from Nikon used*. The other lens I bought a 14mm as well cost £80ish and is a good lens. But my reason for going for the G3 over Sony or Fuji is weight, as much as I like what some of them offer the m43 lenses will always be that bit smaller. As well there are some lenses that I will eventually get that are superb; ok the Pan-Leica 25mm, I love the 50mm eqiv view. So though all the others have a lot going for them m43 has a lot of bargains and the weight advantage plus it is the most mature of the options with a great choice of kit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I attended a concert last night, took some pictures with my OMD EM5, and posted them to FB. At the concert, I noticed a professional photographer at the concert with his Nikon (or maybe it was a Canon) and some really nice looking glass. He too posted his pics on FB after I did. He did manage to get some nice shots (he moved around quite a bit while I mostly sat in one place), but so did I, and the quality of my pics, in many cases, looked much better than his. To be fair, it looked like he had a telephoto zoom and so probably had to up his ISO as his pics looked a little more grainy whereas I had all my fast primes (20mm, 45mm, and 75mm). I was really surprised at just how good my shots were compared to his. Micro Four Thirds takes a back seat to no one.

• Like Like x 5
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Don't hung up over this "we vs them" stuff....
    Just shoot and have fun..

• Like Like x 9
  9. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    My son just got married. I took my G5 and 45 and took some shots just for fun and memories. The two pro photographers were very nice and I avoided talking photography and especially gear with them, as I'm sure they get tired of relatives and friends like me talking photography to them while they are working. I did notice that they were using Nikon D800s and a 35 prime and a 24-70 zoom. I got some shots I like, but I would have rather had that D800 and 35 prime. I sure hope their pictures are better than mine.

10. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I like my m43 system because of its size, quality, and cost. It just about everything I want, and does it well.
    My other system is - wait, no - I've got only the one system.

11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    +1

12. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I sold/traded all of my other digital cameras and am totally m4/3 with one exception, my LX5. I really enjoy the size and versatility of the gear.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    This isn't a "vs" thread. It is a "THIS AND THAT" thread :smile:
    I see that I made the title text for the thread a little misleading.
    I just wanna highlight what makes m4/3:s for me a keeper in the midst of all the other systems.
    I also use my Fuji cameras and enjoy them very much.
    This is just a thread about the things that make m4/3:s great.
    There are other things that makes for example Fuji great; low light capability, retro feeling (the OM-D:s got some of this too) etc.
    It is just a thread about what makes a person still hold on to m4/3:s when so many other great cameras are coming out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

That Nikon 800E almost made me sell my Canon gear and switch back to Nikon. But then, I've been spending all my loose change on M43...

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmm.... Why do you lust after the big expensive large file D800... you got shots you like... you can get a 12-35 and a 17/1.8 for your g5 for way less than a d800 body alone... the D800 will not MAKE you take better pictures.. it might ALLOW better images in some circumstances... but at the end of the day it aint the camera that takes the memorable photograph... its the photographer

K

• Like Like x 1
  16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Sure, the photographer makes a tremendous difference, but can't we accept that the big, expensive D800 can do some things that my G5 can't? Don't get me wrong, I love my G5, but I don't have any problem saying I'd love a full frame camera too.

• Like Like x 2
  17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree wholeheartedly. The best camera is the one you have in your hand at the time. Over and over again I have seen talented photographers use very basic cameras to achieve stunning photos. The photographer matters more than the equipment - always!

18. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    That's true. If I'm in the forrest and I see a bear, if I only have my iPhone... I snap a picture of the bear (if I have nerves for it). Then I wouldn't think of which camera I have with me.
    But this is still a "This And That" thread... I just wanted to point out (maybe for myself) that to me m4/3:s is still relevant whatever comes out in the camera world.

I once sold all my m4/3:s gear when I went Nikon and then Fuji. I regretted that much. Today I have m4/3:s gear again and I believe that this time I'll never let the m4/3:s gear go.
    But as I written earlier... I'm shooting both Fuji and m4/3. I see relevance in both systems for me.

19. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I remember when 4/3 (not m4/3) was just released. I thought I would ditch my cropped dslr for those because of the size and weight but when I saw in real the lenses line up, the lack of super fast primes at the time, the smallish viewfinder compared to dslr I was put down... Rolling time as of today, I'm so happy with my gx7, 4/3 just needed the mirrorless and EVF tech we see coming today. What a great time to be in photography, and doing it on m4/3!

• Like Like x 1
  20. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    The reason I chose m4/3 and not a Canon or Nikon DSLR is mainly because of the size, good enough picture quality, versitality, being able to fit other native lenses or lenses from other systems and I like to travel light so it fits me.

We've come a long way, I started with the Panny GF1 and ever since, sensors that have come out have only gotten better and new features are continually added, the assortment of lenses have also gotten bigger with some really fine glass, I'm happy and will be staying with the system for years to come.

I occasionaly look at other offerings for example Sony with NEX's, they have great sensors, it's just when you look at the measurements between body and lens, the system just doesn't appeal to me, I think m4/3 has it right.

Sure people around me still buy DSLR's and look at me funny, like I have inferior gear, but I don't care, I'm happy with what I have and having fun shooting with it.