THIS AND THAT! Gear for "Hybrid Photography"

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I have had a period of strong GAS temptations... The "full frame" monster has been lurking around with the announcement of the Sony A7 and A7R cameras.

But today I had my OM-D EM-5 with me on a conference that went on for almost a whole day. I sat a bit way from the speakers and decided to give my Sigma 60 f2.8 a go because of the reach and a little bit better light gathering then my standard 40-150 m.Zuiko lens.

I must say that I got clean and good photos, sharp without blur. IBIS helped a lot. I had my ISO limit at 2500. This was no sport event so the people did not move fast. I seldom shoot sports inside. So for me, I think, that the new m4/3 sensors are all that I really need. For high ISO I have my Fujis but the AF isn't as fast there. I have put the "full frame" monster aside for now at least.

-------------------

My real question is this:

I am going more and more towards "hybrid". Video and still images combined.
    Should I really look at the Panasonic GH3 or G6 to complement my EM-5? I have the lenses (Olympus ones and Sigmas). Stabilization isn't a concern as I would film on tripod.

I have a small "hobby" business and I want to offer "hybrid photography and eProducts" to clients. I know how to create eProducts (I am teaching it on evening classes).

Until now I have used my Fuji X-E1 (because of 24p) and EM-5 when filming handheld (because of IBIS).

Would the G6 be sufficient to complement my EM-5? I know that the G6 have manual controls during video recording and focus peaking. But the codecs aren't as good as on the GH3.
    With the GH3 I could grow more...

------------------

Should I:

Buy Panasonic G6 now? I can afford it right away. I was pondering about G6 before, but did get the EM-5 instead when I came back to m4/3. I would keep EM-5 for photography and handheld video recording.

Save up for the GH3?

Or use the combination I have right now (X-E1 and EM-5) for video recording? And maybe save for one of the PRO lenses for my EM-5?

Please help me out - what do I really need to get this hybrid thing going?

2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Go ahead and start with your current camera. If you find that you need more video capability then get the GH3. I just attended a couple of workshops/seminars on hybrid photography. One of the products used was Flixel Pro. The current version works with the iPad (which I don't own). A desk top version is due to be released soon, but only for Apple computers ( which I don't have either). I also saw CS6 used to create eProducts. For $150 a year ProShow Web is available.

Mike

3. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I vote for the GH3. With the Zuiko 12-50 you already have you would enjoy the same weather sealing you have with that lens on the OMD E-M5 as well.

I have a pair of GH3's (my main focus is on "motion picture") and just picked up an OMD E-M5 (used from the "buy/sell" forum on this site) to supplement them when I have to go handheld or have the camera in motion.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You already have the gear - what are you waiting for? Start doing some projects now and the experince will help you to define your future needs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I took advantage of the 200€ Cashback for the Panasonic Lumix GH3 and ordered one!

Lately, because of GAS, I have been tempted of this and that; Sony A7, Olympus Pro Zoom, OM-D E-M1 etc.

Then I saw that I could have the GH3 for around 800€ (with the Cashback that Panasonic offers). I just pulled the trigger!

I been wondering now more "sober" about my needs. I already have great still cameras in my E-M5 and my Fujis. What I really need is a great hybrid tool.
    I am teaching "Hybrid photography" through my own business; I live in an area of the world where hybrid isn´t known - here people are shooting more traditionally; cameras for still photography and video cameras for video. I am also offering hybrid photography and e-Products through my business; I haven´t had many customers yet though as hybrid isn't known here. My local newspaper interviewed me about hybrid photography for some time ago. I am kind of a pioneer here in my area of the world.

So these are some of the points that lead me to this conclusion.

I am not in need of the coming GH4 with 4K possibilities. Also the G6 was somewhat limited compared to the GH3 (lack of mov format for instance).
    With the cash back the GH3 come close to the G6 in price. The price point and the features I get are also valid points for my conclusion.

Well, now I am waiting for my GH3! Will it be my main camera or my second in my m4/3 system? It will be interesting to find out!

6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Yes! I even got the green light from my wife for the GH3 :smile:
    This means that I will not cancel the order for the GH3.

All other things that I tried to acquire, or convince myself that I needed was pure GAS. Sony A7 while nice would have been the wrong move for me; to few lenses out and I already have a lot of m4/3 lenses. The Olympus m.Zuiko 12-40 f2.8 while nice would not have been needed for me (because I already enjoy my primes and prefer them over a zoom); I ordered it but cancelled.
    I don´t need the OM-D E-M1 as I don´t have any 4/3 lenses and I am pretty satisfied with my E-M5 with the gip. I also don´t need to upgrade my Fujifilm X-E1 as I am satisfied with it and the X-E2 update is only evolutionary. I also have the X100s with the latest Fuji technology; so I am satisfied with my Fuji gear,

What isn´t "pure" GAS (maybe some GAS though) is the GH3 order. I really need it because I want to evolve in videography (for hybrid mainly). The Fujis and my E-M5 as we know are a little crippled video wise. I don´t need 4K yet so I will not wait on the much more expensive GH4. This order for me is logical. My GH3 will also serve as a companion for my E-M5 during photo sessions. I have a lot more m4/3 lenses than Fuji lenses which make this logical too.

And the killer aspect of this deal is that my wife is willing to model for me when training my video skills (video graphing people) :smile:

Now I have peace in mind; I am going to relax and wait for my coming GH3!

7. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Finally, long after I created this thread & Poll - the GH3 has arrived!

Today I got my package!

My "hybrid camera" that will allow my other cameras to stay as "still cameras" :smile:

My Panasonic GH3 will mainly serve as video camera but sometimes also for ordinary photography.
    As I will mostly use the GH3 on tripods (I don´t have any stabilized lenses); I also ordered Lance Loop Camera Neck Straps to easily take of the straps so they won't be in the way when the GH3 is tripod-mounted.

I am still waiting for my SD-card that I ordered for the GH3, so I haven't powered it yet. I think that the SD-card will arrive tomorrow. But I like the feeling of holding this camera; it feels so rugged and a perfect size (with it's grip) - I won't need the battery grip at all (like with the OM-D E-M5).

Here are two pics of the GH3 and Lance Camera Straps for it (I didn't take the time to do a proper unboxing set as I was to eager to open the package):

Attached Files:

8. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    A quick observation about using the GH3 compared to my E-M5 and my Fujis

Today me and my wife were visiting some friends of ours. We ate dinner with them.
    I had my GH3 with me instead of my other cameras.
    The strange thing was that my whole intuition with the GH3 was totally different then with any of my other cameras - instead of taking photos (like I feel is natural with the Fujis and E-M5) I recorded video clips!

I recorded videos of their children playing and so on. I showed the videos and everyone liked them.
    I even got myself gig - recording video for a birthday party for a kid (one of theirs) :smile:

The consensus is: with the GH3 I feel like going for video instead of photos (like I feel naturally with my other cameras). This is also the purpose behind me buying the GH3 - to let my stills cameras (E-M5 and Fujis) be just for photography and my hybrid camera (GH3) mainly for video.

I've already started to enjoy my GH3 - it is a great complement to my other cameras!

9. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Gratz on ur gh3
    I do photo and video on GH3 since 5D2 is too big/heavy for general everyday stuff. The battery life in GH3 is massive compare to other mirrorless especially in video, one battery can last me whole days of videoing

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Thank you! I really enjoy my GH3. I´ve noticed the massive battery life; it feels like the battery life of my former Nikon D7000. I don´t think that I will need a spare battery anytime soon.