1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

THIS AND THAT! Conclusion and questions about Fuji and m43

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    This thread comes as a reflection, based on my "THIS AND THAT! Personal review"-threads.

Since I acquired the OM-D E-M5 things has started to change.
    I use three cameras now; two Fujis (X100s and X-E1) and the E-M5.

------

I've been shooting these cameras in different combinations; sometimes all three, sometimes just two in different configurations (lenses and bodies).

------
    My conclusion based on my personal needs:

Fuji X100s
    This is my closest friend! The camera I always grab when I go somewhere. Due to no lens changes, the flat profile etc. This camera lives on my body and I'd never sell it (maybe change it to a X200 or something similar in the future).
    I love the limit with a fixed lens. And the sensor in it!
    The X100s is a great companion to a system camera. It can serve as only camera in some situations too.
    Conclusion: X100s will stay with me!

OM-D E-M5
    This is a great little system camera! It endures hard weather with the right lens (I tested this during a scout camp). Many of the lenses are quite cheap too. Many good lenses as well.
    I love the AF-speed and the IBIS! This is a practical and versatile camera body and we all know how versatile the m43 system is!
    I definitely need this camera!
    Conclusion: OMD-EM5 will also stay with me!

Fuji X-E1
    This camera body is not a definite keeper for me at this moment.
    It seems like I either grab the X100s or the OM-D, or the X100s and the OM-D. The X-E1 has not had a lot of action since the OM-D entered my photographic life!
    The XF35 and even the XF18-55 are fantastic lenses for sure; the promise great IQ when you nail the shot. But the practicality of the m43:s system with the speedy OM-D body combined with the great compact X100s is really all that I need.
    Conclusion: X-E1 with both lenses could go.

--------
    My question to you, fellow forum members:

The X100s gets 60%, OM-D 35%, X-E1 5% of photographic action as of now.
    This leads me to my big question...

Should I sell my X-E1 with lenses and stuff to finance an expansion of my m43 gear?

The rules for this though: no more money from my salary should go towards camera gear (as I have this one year spending break!). Only sold camera gear can finance new camera gear.

My thoughts about the m43 gear I would like to have:

If I could sell all Fuji gear except the X100s; I would like to go for the Panny zooms: 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8.

If I'd go for these two; I could sell the m43 lenses I have now as well as the two Panny zooms covers all my needs. Of course I would not get much from my m43 lenses as they are the cheap ones.

--------------

My needs could be best covered with the X100s and OM-D with the two Panny zooms. A simple setup but with great quality lenses! And my OM-D would be weather covered with all its lenses.

------------

Now, are my thoughts logical or not?

THIS AND THAT! has come to this point... X100s and OM-D are needed but X-E1 not so much.
    Please help motivate me. Am I on the right track or not?

2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    If you aren't using a system get rid of it. It's not gaining any value. Either get some new M4/3 gear or keep the money in an account dedicated to photo gear so it's there when you need it.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Maybe if you haven't got the Fuji 35mm you could try it : I found it the most satisfying (wdie-open) and best IQ in a little in-shop test. The zooms do the job but such things are available in m4/3rds too.

4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The fantastic little OM-D really messed up my mind :smile:

I really didn't believe that m43 has come this far.
    The X100s is a awesome camera in it own right though, compact and great IQ.
    The X-E1 is definitely redundant at this point. The OM-D in tandem with X100s is my pair of working horses.

If I go through with this though, I'd need lenses that can keep up with my Fujinon lenses. Any suggestions? I mentioned the Panny zooms, but anymore that I could consider?

5. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I got the XF35, it is a fantastic lens. But I don't use the X-E1 much. So it stays at home.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I got the 12-35 recently and it's fantastic on my OMD. No complaints at all (except that it's not f1.8!). I've got a 17 and 45 too, but they're not seeing much use since I got the 12-35. I may offload them.

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Sounds like you already made your decision. :)
    I sort of know the situation you are in having recently added X100 to my m43 setup . It is nice but quite slow and somewhat unreliable / inconsistent. I can tolerate it in a single camera but it would get old really fast if I spent a bunch on additional lenses.

8. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I owned an X100 for about 18 months and an X100S for about 2 weeks. I loved them despite their quirks, but I'm all-in now for m4/3 for personal use (still have FX Nikons for professional use). What about ditching all the Fujis and going all m4/3?

You could use an EPL5 or EP5 with a 17/1.8 as your compact, take-everywhere, X100 replacement, then for a more complete system you can bring the OMD and 2.8 zooms. That way everything is compatible with each other and they all have the same sensor so images match perfectly.

9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I bought an X100 (the original not the X100s) to be a compact to complement my mu-43 kit. I have the "pro" mu-43 zooms and the 7-14 and sold all my primes. I have just a GH1 and GH2 now. The G1 and the 14-45 kit zoom are in my camera collection now.

Really looking forward to the X100 as a "simple" but "versatile" option for those times I want to shoot a wide angle prime. 90% of the time I had a 17mm f/1.8 or 20mm f/1.7 on my cameras when I shot a prime so the Fuji is a great fit for that.

I think there's room many of the systems depending on how/what you shoot. The big issue right now is "System Overload" with too many competing for too few buyers in a still somewhat down economy and at a time when the iPhone seems to be enough for many.

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Your idea makes a lot of sense. It really is quite wasteful to have 3 camera bodies all declining in value.

The 12-35 and 35-100 are an excellent combination. I have 4 friends who only have these 2 lenses and dont intend to but any other. Their prices have each dropped US$300 to US$400 from introduction. The 35-100 is an amazing piece of engineering and remarkably small - it is unlikely any APS-c system will be able to match it.

If I was to add one other lens to that combo it would be the 7-14.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Dunno if they are logical, but I went a similar route. Decided I don't need multiple systems, and MFTs is my system of choice. The AF performance and lens selection alone makes it an easy choice for me. I also like the X100s and see myself using it quite a bit.

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Ramirez
    I agree with many other members that its useless to keep three camera bodies . I will make it simple .. U have Fuji X tran sensor in X100s which has an Exellent lens attached to it . MFT is the most underestimated format of current digital era. Many serious photographers dismiss it without trying and novice photographers dismiss it after trying . The current generation of MFT is as good as any APSC camera . I do lust after FUJi especially for different sensor output .. Not better or worse just different and I satisfy that by buying X100 again and again . Just sell XE1 and Fuji lenses . Get 12-35 and 35-100 and enjoy . If Fuji comes with something exceptional with next offering .. U can make a switch . Never let gear overburden you to the point where it starts giving headaches . I picked up EOS M with 22 mm .. Played with it and its going back .Anyway great write up .. Go ahead and sell your XE1..
    Cheers

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's a funny thing, Bhup - with a Sigma DP2M in the mix, the Fuji sensor output looks just like the E-PM2 output to me.

14. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I don't think you'll go wrong with selling the X-E1 and XF lenses and getting the 2 Panny fast zooms... maybe later add the 7-14.

The only other lenses I would consider if faster primes were your thing are the PL25/1.4 (instead of the 12-35) and 75/1.8 (instead of the 35-100).

15. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Maybe I found an area for the X-E1 and the XF35 lens after all

I just went out in our garden to shoot with my X-E1 and the XF35 lens (two photos from inside, one of my cat). SOOC. I´ll add the photos here:

Attached Files:

16. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Fuji X-E1 and XF35 for art photography

I think that the XF35 combined with the X trans sensor really renders beautifully.

After some thinking I arrive at this:

Fuji X-E1 with XF35
    Art photography. Objects that doesn't move. Like my garden for example. Sleeping cats etc.

X100s
    Still my everyday camera, my "tie".

OM-D and m43
    People and animals that move. Bad weather photography. Etc.

-------------------------
    My conclusion for now:

I'll keep all my existing gear. But I won't expand the Fuji gear as the XF35 really is all that I need for art.
    I'll keep on expanding my m43 gear (when the time for my "spending break" ends).

--------------------------
    Thank you guys for you input here! It is great to have people to correspond with before making hasty decisions :smile:

17. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I can't see anything in those X-E1 photos that couldn't have been done equally well with m4/3s.

18. Bhupinder2002

19. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    OH YEAH! WELL CHECK OUT THESE PHOTOS TAKEN WITH MY NEW X100!

Um, wait, I don't have it yet. I'll argue later... :rolleyes:

20. Bhupinder2002

:wink::2thumbs: