THIS AND THAT! A personal review PART 2

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Ramirez, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I wrote earlier a little personal review of my two camera systems (Fuji X and m43 based on the gear thats in my signature). This is part 2 based on a field test with only the OM-D.

My first personal review of my two systems is here:

The field test
    I took part of scout camp for 6 days, out and about in the nature. Some of these days were very rainy.

The equipment
    I decided to leave my Fuji cameras at home due to no weather resistance.
    The OM-D E-M5 served as my only camera.
    I used all my lenses: m.Zuiko 12-50, m.Zuiko 40-150 and Sigma EX DN 30 f.2.8
  2. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Some photos...

I don´t know if I have permission to share people photos, so I share the non-people photos instead.

Attached Files:

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    My conclusion

My conclusion based on this field test

I love the Fuji JPG:s and the X trans sensor. The Fujis are great cameras when doing art photography when the target isn't moving.
    I still like to use my X100s most if I'm in a restaurant when absolute stealth is needed.

Don´t know what to make of my X-E1 anymore though. The OM-D is starting to take over as a system camera :smile:

Preferable camera based on this field test

Due to the rainy weather, the OM-D coupled with the m.Zuiko 12-50 was a joy to use (look at that rainy beach photo!). I did not have to worry about my gear!
    One of the kids in the bus, when we went back from the rainy beach, asked if my camera still was operational. It was drenched in water! I just turned it on and the kid was amazed :smile:

During this scout camp there where a lot of movement (=action shots), the OM-D worked great! I even used the Face detect AF and it worked great too!
    No way I could have taken as many keepers with my Fuji cameras.

Overall conclusion

The fast AF of the OM-D and the rugged build (coupled with the splash proof lens) provided me a system that I could rely on.
    Most of the time I carried the OM-D coupled with the m.Zuiko 12-50 hanging from my neck carried by my Lance Camera Strap; no need to put it in a bag even if it was raining!

When it got darker I used the Sigma 30 f2.8. And sometimes the m.Zuiko 40-150 when I needed tele.

But the m.Zuiko 12-50 won my respect. A cheap lens with many features. A great option if you want some weather resistance and don't have the money for the Panasonic 12-35 or 35-100 weather resistant lenses.

For me I wouldn't want to go on a scouting camp without some weather resistance. I also need the AF capabilities of the OM-D and an EVF.
    For this kind of photo work I rely on the OM-D instead of my Fujis.