THIS AND THAT! A little personal review of my two camera systems

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I´ve been trading camera bodies and buying some lenses quite fast paced in during a short time period. I am officially putting myself on a 1 year "camera buying" break! I have over stepped my camera budget a little (and to keep my wife happy too); there will be no more gear buying for a year at least!
    The one thing I'll still buy is a spare battery for my OM-D but that's it.

During this short period I've managed to correct some "camera mistakes" I've made; like when I traded the Pany G3 for a Nikon D7000. After that experience I've learned why I love mirrorless cameras! The D7000 is a good camera but DSLR:s are not for me anymore. I want to stay in the mirrorless game for many reasons. I don´t shoot much sport so the OM-D speed is sufficient for me and the Fuji X cameras IQ is more than enough for me.

Now I need to learn how to use the cameras and the lenses I have! That is the great thing with a purchasing break - you have time to learn your existing gear!

In this thread I´m going to post images of my gear and my two bags for my two camera systems. I´m also going to write about how I use the different parts of my camera kits.

My camera system is two parted; the m43 kit and it´s bag based on the OM-D and the Fuji X kit based on the X-E1 and X100s. These two systems complement each other and serve different needs.

Now I am going to post a few image posts and write about the gear I have :)

2. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    My two bags for my camera systems

Ironically the Olympus E system bag is for my Fuji X system, but the lenses are bigger.

The smaller bag can take all my existent m43 gear (that I´m stuck with for at least a year from now).

I have also the original X100 leather case that I use for my X100s (traded the X100 for the "s"). I usually carry the X100s just in it's own leather case like a "tie" hanging down from my neck.

Attached Files:

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    My X100s - my compact "snap-shot camera"

The X100s serves as my compact camera. It is my "tie" that I almost always carry on me. It is 100% silent and is my stealthy option when I want to shoot without people noticing me. Often in close situations when siting close to people for example when eating out with other people etc.

I have the WLC-X100 (Wide Conversion Lens) that make it wider and a third party lens hood.

Sometimes I just travel with the X100s if I want to go as light as possible; no need for a bag, spare battery in a pocket.

The AF is faster than the X-E1 but not OM-D fast. Good for the "35mm" feeling when for example doing street. Great also when you want limitiations for a different kind of creativity for your photography.

Attached Files:

4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    My Fuji X system

My full Fuji X system. The X-E1 is my Fuji X system camera body.
    I have the Fujinon XF35 f1.4 and XF18-55 f2.8-4 lenses. And an external mic for some video recording needs.

This is my "full frame"-like camera. I got to the XF35 lens when I need that "bokeh" and low light situations (MF as AF is bad in low light).

I use the X-E1 for creative photography; art, buildings etc. Not so much moving subjects due to not so fast AF (I got the OM-D for faster paced photography).

I mostly use the XF35 on the X-E1 but sometimes the zoom lens when I need different focal lengths in a situation.

When I use the X-E1, I also use the X100s in tandem; specially if I use the XF35 as I then have two primes with 35 eq and 50 eq focal lengths.

I´ve decided to not use my Fuji X system for telephoto needs based on the fact that the Fujinon telezoom is so expensive (I got the m.Zuiko 40-150 R really cheap!) and the not so great AF.

5. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    My m43 kit

My m43 kit is based around the great OM-D E-M5.

I have the m.Zuiko 12-50, 40-150R and the Sigma EX DN f2.8 lenses.

This is my go to camera in bad weather (then used with 12-50 lens), nature, fast paced photography (children and my cats), video needs handheld (the IBIS!) - I forgot to take a picture of the SEMA (adapter and external mic), I got this for the sound during video recording.

As I wrote - the m-Zuiko 12-50 is on in bad weather and also for macro photography.

The m.Zuiko 40-150R for my telephoto needs.

The Sigma EX DN f2.8 for inside photography and when I require some "bokeh". This is a cheap but great lens!

When I use the OM-D I also have the X100s in tandem... I recently got reminded how great it is to have at least two cameras with you when I recorded a band playing; during the last song the battery in the OM-D died (as I have only one) - I could quickly turn on the X100s and continue to record!

6. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Conclusion

I love to use both the m43 kit and the Fuji X kit!

To me they complement each other perfectly.

The OM-D:

Great AF, great IQ, cheap but good lenses (and some really great!), customizable, the best IBIS around, versatile, great nature camera due to weather sealing, light to carry.

The Fuji X system (X-E1):

Not so good AF, great IQ (low light and dynamic range), good lenses (some really great) but expensive, old style retro handling (aperture on lens), great "Film Simulation" JPG:s...

The Fuji compact (X100s):

Middle ground AF (between the OM-D and X-E1), great IQ, great for creativity due to fixed lens limitation (there is the Conversion lens - so there are two focal lengths), most silent camera - great for stealth, quite flat due to the lens, good for portability as you don´t need a bag especially if you have the leather case...

------------------------------

There are a lot to write about these systems and cameras. I am glad to be able to use both Fuji and m43:s.

These are my kits right now and it is going to stay this way for at least a year. I still don´t master them all so it is positive in this way that I have time to learn the lenses and cameras I now have.

To me the Fujis and the OM-D is the perfect match with their both respective strengths. It is a match made in Heaven!

7. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    Great series of posts. Thank you for taking the time to put this all together.

I just traded my X Pro 1 + 35 for the OMD + 14 and 17 and am happy with the setup. I also own an original X100 which I /think/ I'll keep. Time will tell.

8. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Great setup, but do you have time to use those all cameras?

9. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Yep :smile:

In some events I use all three. For instance in one event, a church conference that included both music programs and speakers, I used all three.
    My OM-D on video recording duty, X-E1 with XF18-55 and X100s for photography duty. During the different seminars I used the X-E1 for photos and OM-D recorded video. While I was mingling during the breaks, I used X100s due to stealth (100% silent) to take snapshots of people.
    The 3 camera setup was great for that event! And I could carry all 3 around my neck with my Lance camera straps, no problem with light cameras like these!

When I go out I usually choose a camera or more depending on the situation. For outside duty I mainly choose the OM-D due to weather sealing and the longer lens (m.Zuiko 40-150 /m.Zuiko 12-50 if it rains!). I don't have a telezoom for my Fuji X-E1.

If I go to a dinner or something. Then I want a stealthy camera - only the X100s then.

For low light situations, then X-E1 with XF35 f1.4.

And like I wrote, in some situations I'll take all. Sometimes OM-D + X100s.

Next week I'm going to be a leader in a camp for youth. I will only bring the OM-D with me. Because of weather sealing... It is a sturdy little camera that can handle camping life!

10. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I need to set myself a one year reminder and look at your equipment then. GAS is a very alluring temptress!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

11. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Yep, GAS is tempting indeed... You can fast loose your way.

I have actually put a note in my calendar saying: "Camera and gear acquisition stop!". Everyday when I look in my calendar (iCal syncing to all my devices) I read that note. It is there for one year!

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Ramirez, I enjoyed a vicarious ownership of the camera and lenses you showed. It helps solve GAS problems. Thank you for a very nice and informative post.

13. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I really enjoyed reading your posts. I have an EM-5 and was thinking of a used Fuji as a backup. Your posts make me think on I'm on the right track.