1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thirdparty Fisheye?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ssgreenley, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Hi everyone, whilst piddling about the internets, I found this:

http://amzn.com/B003EPX050

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? As I've never even heard of it I'm a bit skeptical...

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I had one of these on my E-3. Solidly made and good value for money. Manual focus by distance scale but the dof is huge on fish-eyes so focusing is not critical.

3. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I use it all the time with my GH1 for filming skateboarding. It's actually meant as a circular fisheye for fullframe film cameras. It does not have any asphereical elements. It's a great lens for the price, if you are willing to use it at f8.

Also I would pay maximum of 200€/280$ for this lens, the quality control in the Belarus factory is not the best… But this said, it's so ruggedly built that the used models are usually in very good condition :)

And keep in mind that the new native mu43 samyang 7.5 fisheye is going to be released in about two months. I will definitely buy it and sell my belome/bower lens…

4. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    Look at Peleng ones too, i used one for a while and they are a great lens. The prices are about comparable, but the Peleng ones seems to be better manafactured.

5. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    I love this forum! Thanks for the info, with the crop factor can you tell it was meant to be a circular fisheye or does it look legit? Either way, you're probably on point to wait for the Samyang.

I do have a softspot for things made by brutal communist regimes though...

6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Peleng is the model, Belomo the factory.

The 8 is commendably good if stopped down a couple stops (supposing you get one with the infinity correctly set at the factory). I had to correct the problem with an older Peleng 17/2.8 used on full format, which took shortening the T4 ring.
    Don't expect the picture corners to be razor sharp, though.

Two years ago, I tested a new Sigma 8/3.5 side by side with the Peleng 8. Flare, overall contrast were better controlled with the Sigma but it never got convincingly sharp. One of these high contrast, low rez lenses... Expensive, too. I kept the Belomo, and use it on both the full frame 24x36 and the :43:. It does a better job than my 7-14 for full 360° pans.

Other experience was with the Nikkor 10.5. It seems good... until you use it on film or any camera (like :43:...) which doesn't apply the heavy software correction it gets from recent Nikon bodies (and software). The color fringes on contrasty edges appear awesome :eek: Sold it with my D300...

Beware the Peleng is heavy, bulky on a :43: body. Ok on a Panasonic G1, unbalanced on a Pen (we'll see with the new grips...).

P.S.: Btw, and this applies to many other lenses : beware of the focus shift, i.e. don't focus wide open to close down and shoot at f/8 or darker. Use an EVF, focus at working aperture or close to it. Otherwise, you might err to conclude your lens is unsharp, or unadjusted.

PPS to ssgreenley : Minsk regime is brutal, but doesn't even have the excuse of being communist any more...

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hasn't the Panny one been selling for this price? I have it (got it used) and it is a FANTASTIC lens. Very small too!

8. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    I haven't seen the Panasonic at this price, but I'll certainly keep my eyes open! As for Belarus, let's just agree that we both hope that it will transition soon to a system that respects the rights of its people with an economic system that improves the quality of its fisheyes...

9. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Well it will have even more of that fishy distortion than a diagonal fisheye with an apsherical element. Not much though, but if you have the Belome/Pelen 8mm on mu43 side by side with a samyang 8mm on a aps-c, you can spot a slight difference on how it draws the image. I couldn't really decide which was better, considering things like curvature of lines and the general feel of the image. The samyang is of course a little bit sharper…

Keep in mind that this lens will not give you full 180 diagonal on mu4/3, but really close. I actually found the numbers somewhere before, but can't remember them anymore. Closer than the samyang 8mm on mu4/3. I guess this is due to different design and it lacking the aspherical element?

10. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Get me one of those, for that price!! Normally it's insanely expensive!

When I asked samyang when the 7.5mm would be released, they said within two months, but could not give me the price information. I hope it will be the same as the 8mm.
    Though it should be cheaper since it has a lot less glass on it… But I guess that will not be the case, since all other mu4/3 lenses do not conform to this logic!

11. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
  12. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    That Samyang certainly looks good on that Oly! Once it's released, we'll have it, the Panasonic, the Belomo, and the Olympus converter for micro four thirds. I wonder if there's really a market for that much diversity in a somewhat specialized lens...