1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Third Party Thumb Rest For Panasonic

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Guilhelmus, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Guilhelmus

Guilhelmus New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2012
    I currently have a Panasonic G3 camera which has a very annoying design fault, namely it is all too easy to operate some of the buttons below the built in thumb rest. As a result I often find that I am inadvertently shooting at a absurdly high ISO setting or have changed the focussing method. At one point I even discovered that I had altered the daylight white balance I habitually use to a custom setting with way too much magenta, something which required several different key presses!

It occurs to me that a third party thumb rest to move my thumb further away from these controls might help prevent this happening so frequently and recently came across the Lensmate range. Unfortunately there is nothing in that company's catalogue specifically designed for Panasonic cameras, but I did wonder whether anyone has experience of using a third party product, Lensmate or otherwise, on a G3?

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I don't know anything about 3rd party products, but you could probably DIY with some sugru. https://sugru.com/

3. Guilhelmus

Guilhelmus New to Mu-43

Aug 12, 2012
    Thanks, I've not heard of this before. It's not what I had in mind, but I can see that it is an alternative approach.

It puts me in mind that when 3D printers become more mainstream, we can all start making custom accessories for ourselves. :smile:

4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I used to make a lot of camera and darkroom accessories in my shed from bits of plasic and metal.
    Yes a 3D printer would produce nicer results, if they don't need to take a heavy load. But you would either need to be skilled in 3D modelling or need to find someone, online perhaps, who has the same situation and is sharing the model file. I'm sure after a few months you will have run out of things to make. And, after doing bits for friends and family, the machine would sit idle. The alternative is to send it away for printing. Just like we did with film and negatives in the old days. Then we rushed out to buy colour inkjets when they came out. Til the print head dried out. Now I order prints online. My online service shows the price, as well as the cost in inkjet cartriges. Reminding me that their 7cents per print is good value.