1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Third Party Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Mar 11, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If there's one thing that I don't understand is the thought process that goes through the mind/s of a third party camera accessory manufacturer when they decide what they'll produce.

To wit, just about every week another manufacturer introduces a new wireless controller, flash or whatever to support Canon/Nikon etc, as if there weren't enough around already. But you won't find anything for m4/3s or the like. Such as here: http://www.lightingrumours.com/. Does Canon, Nikon etc really need another flash?

Then you find manufacturers producing yet another lens for m4/3s, always manual, but in focal lengths/apertures that replicate more or less what's already available from numerous others. Such as here: http://www.43rumors.com/mitakon-42-5mm-f1-2-review-at-photographyblog/. Why not produce something that's being asked for but not produced by the OEMs?

These are just two examples.

Are all of these third party manufacturers thinking that they are building a better mousetrap?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Easier to follow than to lead...

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Well, then there are lenses like the Kowa 8.5mm/f2.8 for M4/3. Almost zero distortion on an ultrawide prime is remarkable.

Or the Voigtlander 10.5mm/f0.95, another highly unique lens.

But they both cost almost $1500. So there's that.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, there are a few notable exceptions and they seem to be driven by the video market and their needs. In fact, when you look at the video accessory market, they seem to produce gear for just about every brand and there's no shortage when it comes to m4/3.

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    If you want to sell a lot of stuff, you need to be in a market with a lot of buyers. That market - for ILC - is Canon and Nikon. Sony gets a chunk, and everyone else is rounding error. As much as I wish our products had more accessory support, that's where it's at.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The thing that I notice is that most of these accessories, like flash units, are for DSLRs (Canon and Nikon don't have much in the way of ILCs). Do all of these different Chinese branded flash units for Canon/Nikon really have a sustainable market? I reckon if one of these manufacturers produced say a flash that was fully compatible with all m4/3 cameras (if that's possible), they'd probably sell more than they could make (until the others started copying them).