Third Party Lens Hoods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Replytoken, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    When selecting a third party lens hood, should you select a hood that claims to work at the actual focal length of the lens, for example, 14mm, or one that is designed to work at the lens' effective 35mm focal length, 28mm in the above example?

--Ken

2. SnapDuck

SnapDuck Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2012
    N. California
    I have a third-party lens hood for the 12-50mm. As far as I can tell it is an exact copy minus the silver coating on the exterior surface and the flat black coating on the interior. Even though the internal surface is not coated flat black, it is not shiny and has not caused any problems with flare. The cost of this lens hood was approximately $12.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think the answer is "it depends." If it's a lens hood that's sold as a replacement for an OEM m43 lens, then use the actual focal length. If it's a universal lens hood, like the various rubber ones sold on ebay, then assume the specs are for FF, and use the 35mm equivalent.

Actually, unless it specifically says its for a 4/3 or m43 lens, I'd use the 35mm equivalent length.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    This is what I thought, but was not certain. Since we both drew the same conclusion, I am going to follow your advice.

Thanks,

--Ken

5. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Hi-jacking slightly, is there something I need to look for then when buying a lens-hood? I was going to buy the metal one with cut-outs from one of the various ebay sellers, for my 20mm panny, but if it's going to interfere with the picture, it's not even worth the £4.

6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I can't see it interfering negatively in any way picture-wise. FWIW, I went with a rubber hood because the focusing mechanism of the 20mm lens would be directly 'hit' if the hood received a knock. A rubber hood would minimise the shock. One thing to check is that when the hood is screwed on it doesn't prevent the lens from 'parking' properly when the camera is switched off. I used an glassless 46mm filter ring first but that may not be necessary depending on the construction of the hood.

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    See if the seller lists what focal length the hood was designed for. If its is designed for a longer lens, then it could block some of the image. If it is designed for a wider lens, then it may not be as effective as needed. Sometimes it is assumed that a generic hood is designed for a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera when no specific data is provided in writing, but I would not make that assumption unless you have some other data to support that assumption, or you are willing to "put your money down and take your chances".

--Ken