1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Third-Party Horizontal Grip for OMD (with forward shutter button)?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by loko12345, Dec 10, 2012.

1. loko12345

loko12345 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2012
    Hi all,

I've looked around but couldn't find an answer. I really like the looks of the horizontal portion of the HDL-6; I wouldn't need the battery pack and I think it adds a bit too much bulk IMO. Unfortunately, the Olympus version is very expensive if I will only be using the horizontal portion; additionally, the Olympus version requires that the grip be removed to replace the battery. I'm also a little concerned about the wear and tear involved with constantly removing the grip to change the battery; can't be good. What I do like about the Olympus is the re-positioned shutter button; much more ergonomic IMO.

I have looked at more affortable third party options, and thankfully some come with only the horizontal grip portion and allow for changing of the battery without removal of the grip! BUT, the ones I've seen don't have the re-positioned shutter button, which I like in the Olympus version.

You can see where I'm going with this. Are you aware of any third-party horizontal grips that will add a forward shutter button like the Olympus button and will also allow for the removal of the battery without removing the grip? Thanks!

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Nope. (Not at this time.)

3. loko12345

loko12345 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2012
    Thanks, that's what I thought, but just wanted to confirm. I guess I will have to go with the Olympus option, even though I'm not too thrilled about the potential wear & tear of removing the grip to charge/replace the battery.

4. dfreezy

dfreezy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Doug
  5. macboy001

macboy001 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2010
    Wairarapa, New Zealand
    Regarding the HLD-6, I moved the battery to the external battery compartment and have never removed the HLD-6.