1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Third party flashguns for Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, May 15, 2012.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Don't know if this is the right section, because the same question may apply to Panasonic also.

Is there any experience with flashgun options other than original? And what those would be? Major shortcomings, problems, etc?

Thanks in advance!

2. DFP

DFP New to Mu-43

May 2, 2012
    I use a metz 48 and a metz 38.

48 is cheaper and more powerful than the oly fl50r, works fine (even remotely)

38 was £40 second hand. Head points up and down only, and doesn't have and controls on the head (but can be controlled from the camera) and doesn't go remote. Makes a good fill light (and was cheap).

No complaints with either.

3. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    Are you trying to do wireless TTL, or do you want to go full manual?
    When I first started with flash, i bought a TTL compliant flash to get me started. It's helpful. I recommend the METZ brand as well, as they are high-powered and are nicely constructed. Only problem is the controls for it kind of suck since you need to press 2 buttons for some options.
    after that I jumped to Manual flashes: Yongnuo 560EXII. I use the Yongnuo triggers (502n) as well to fire off my flashes, and the work wonderfully. The controls on the Yongnuo manual flashes are superb, and responsive. Only issue i've had is that the LCD screen isn't so visible on a lightstand 7 feet up, but I can live with that.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Manual or TTL? Hotshoe or Off-Camera? Bracket or stand? PC Cables, Radio, or Optical triggers? What kind of light modifiers? How many do you intend on using at a time? Budget?

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Thanks for the feedback!

To tell the truth, I have no need using a flashgun with the E-PL2, but the chance that I move to the OM-D in the future (and need wireless and more than one flash for some projects) make me ask this.

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Coming back to the subject to ask your opinion on the Yonguo YN560-II and RF-603 kit. Something I don't quite get is, are those "universal" units, or there is a model for a specific camera brand?