Third party battery for OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ampl465a, Sep 29, 2012.

1. ampl465a

ampl465a Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Anyone using the eBay batteries and any issues. I believe they cannot be charged with the OEM charger and that they have a higher output. Thanks
  2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Some of the third party batteries have swelled due to overheating while charging (due to the fact they don't have the same level of protection as the OEMs, and/or using cheaper cells.

The OEM charger is design to detect the additional safety electronics in the five conductor OEM battery, and thinks the battery is defective if the charger doesn't detect the safety circuit in the third party battery.

Japanese safety laws have changed regardiing rechargeable bateries, and that's why the three conductor BLM-1 was replaced by the four conductor BLM-5 in REGULAR FourThirds.

Third party manufacturers (not in Japan) don't have to follow those laws, and that's why they can get away with less safe products.
  3. ampl465a

ampl465a Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    But don't they have their own chargers?
  4. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    I've had absolutely no problems with the Wasabi batteries from Blue Nook. Had them for my EPL1, EPL2, and now for the EM5. Comes with charger and car cord, will charge the original batt's as well.
  5. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, if you get a third party battery you need a third party charger too!

Many third party chargers can also charge the OEM batteries, but it's not recomend.

In any case don't leave one of these batteries charging unattended.
  6. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    I've been using third party battery from eBay seller 'carbest2011' for several months now. No problem other than battery life seem a bit shorter than OEM, still not bad considering the price tho. Yes, they cannot be charged using OEM charger, fortunately the third party charger that comes with it [which I like more than OEM charger because it plugs straight to wall without cable thus less messy] takes both OEM and non-OEM without problem.
  7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I bought a pair of the Wabai-branded batteries and charger that I bought from Amazon this summer because I couldn't get the Oly batteries. They worked/are still working just fine, though they don't have quite the same runtime as the Oly batteries.
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I'm using the Wasabi batteries from Blue Nook (from Amazon). The kit comes with two batteries, a plug in charger, and an automobile adapter for the charger. Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Olympus BLN-1, BCN-1 and Olympus OM-D EM-5: Camera & Photo

The Wasabi charger will charge the Olympus OEM batteries, but the Olympus charger will not charge the Wasabi batteries. The Wasabi charger does not have a cord; it has a swivel plug to connect to a wall outlet.

I have the Wasabi cells mounted in my OM-D grip and when the charge starts to run low it is noted in the viewfinder; however I can't comment on how accurate the "battery gauge" is - when it shows "low" I remove the battery and replace it.

I can't give a "photo per charge" report. I just returned from a four day trip and used the OM-D each day, but didn't start out with fully charged batteries (OEM or Wasabi) so any counts wouldn't be accurate. (Also I rarely "chimp" and do not use the view screen except for accessing the menu system; I use the viewfinder for framing shots and that has an impact on battery life. I also don't power the camera down unless I'm changing batteries or cards, or taking a lunch break, etc.). On my trip I did need to swap out a battery each day, so it was good to have spares available. I'm a light shooter, and took fewer than 250 shots during the trip.

I've been very well satisfied with both the batteries and the service from Blue Nook. I've seen no reports of the Wasabi brand cells overheating or swelling.

I'm comfortable using the Wasabi cells, but have no experience with other brands (disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Wasabi or Blue Nook). Of course each user must decide for her/him self on the risk level of using non-OEM gear. YMMV.

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I'm using third party batteries and charger from ebay too. They have no brand name.

They will not charge in the Oly charger, but come with their own charger and the Oly battery will charge in it. However, the no-name charger will only charge the batteries up to 8.4 volts. The Oly battery will go to 8.6 volts in its own charger. The different voltages probably means a different battery chemistry and possibly a different charging algorithm.

My no-name charger does not shut off the voltage after the battery is charged, while the Oly charger will. This link suggests that cell life is shortened if kept charging for long periods.

Although batteries have safety circuits that should mitigate overcharging, I will play it safe and charge the Oly in its charger and the no-names in theirs.
  10. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Same here. Great capacity, no issues.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Chris Pringle

Chris Pringle New to Mu-43

Nov 27, 2012
    Thinking of pulling the trigger on the Wasabi kit (2 batteries + charger.) Does anyone know if using such third party batteries void the Olympus warranty? I've several threads about using these batteries, but no one has raised this point.
  12. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    If a third party battery damages the camera, you can bet your bottom dollar that Olympus will NOT warrant the camera.
  13. Chris Pringle

Chris Pringle New to Mu-43

Nov 27, 2012
    Yeah... decided not to take any chances on this pricey camera and went for the genuine Olympus battery as a back-up.
  14. Naftade

Naftade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Munich, Germany

Hi, just wanted to tell you that there are now batteries that charge in the original charger and also show their capacity quite precise.

the "dot.foto" battery bln-1 cost me around 20€ and works fine. Just a little shorter battery life than the original.
  15. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Wonder though if it actually has the extra safety circuitry built in, or if it just fools the charger.