Third party battery for GF2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by turbodieselvw, May 17, 2012.

1. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Does anyone know if it is safe to use third party batteries like the ones sold on eBay go the GF2?
  2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I use 3rd party batteries on all 3 of my m43 cameras, the GH1&2, and GF3. Some are better, and some are worse.
  3. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Fantastic. I'm going to have to try some out. Thanks!
  4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I use plenty of 3rd party batteries as well. As has been said, some are good and some are not. It's a gamble. On whole more are good than bad.
  5. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
  6. Computer Controlled

Computer Controlled Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Larry Kleinke
    I looked into buying another battery for my GF2 this afternoon as i had forgotten mine in the charger at home. Once they said "$65", i said put it back. Panasonic is high thinking they can get $65 for a battery. That is ridiculous! Complete rip off. I'll be buying 3rd party batteries off of E-Bay for sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    I bought 2 extra batteries for my GH2, stuck with Pana branded ones as they seem to be 1200 mAh instead of 800 mAh for the 3rd party ones (at least all 3rd party ones that I could find). Thats 50% more juice which is considerable IMHO... Don't know if thats the same for the GF batteries though.
  8. bee

bee Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2012
    I was under the impression that 3rd party batteries if they are not partially decoded won't work in the Panasonic charger. Even if they are partially decoded they wont show a battery life indicator which will cause your video file to get lost if the camera dies when recording. Is all that a myth? Is anyone running 3rd party batteries that are fully functional, and what brand do you have?
  9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have all 3 types - undecoded, partial, and fully. The undecoded ones only work on my GH1 with the hack. My GF3 batteries are fully decoded, but my GH2 are only partially decoded - they work in the recharger, but do not meter in-camera. some of my batteries are by a company called Upstart.