Third party batteries

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by TheHandyAndy, Sep 3, 2011.

1. TheHandyAndy

TheHandyAndy New to Mu-43

Sep 3, 2011
    Hi, I am looking at spare batteries and was wondering if anyone had tried a 1500mAh one (the ebay.co.uk seller ecell_accessorize sells them) or should I just save up and get a genuine one?

Thanks
    Andrew

2. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Do a search here and you will find all sorts of information, mostly good and accurate.

The downside of third barty, quality batteries is the fact that these are not coded so you do not know the remaining charge and most manufacturers void their warranties if they find out you have used third party batteries. This matter is a simple case of what you pay is what you get.

Best regards,
    Tom

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I agree with what Tom said in most cases... a lot of junk out there.

I did have very good luck with Wasabi Power brand batteries for my Oly's. They are 2000mAh and seem to last longer than my original batteries... quality seem to be equal to the OEMs as well.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another vote for OEM batteries, here. Yes, it's possible you may find high-quality, aftermarket batteries that work well and save you money. The problem is, you don't really know what you're getting and there are the potential complications outlined by Tom above. Really, I think you'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run by just sticking with the camera's own branded batteries.

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I've had good experiences with Uniross and Duracell batteries in E-520 and E-P1.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Go for the third party

I bought two third party batteries for my E-PL1 and they worked as good or better than the OEM. I sold that whole kit.

I bought two extra third party batteries for my E-Pl2 (two are cheaper than 1 OEM battery) and these have worked great. I cannot tell the difference from the OEM batteries.

I bought mine on Amazon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Some third party batteries are chipped.

I have a BECAM one for my GF1, and it works fine

• Like Like x 1
  8. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010
    Seattle
    I ordered the Wasabi charger and two batteries that indicated as a direct replacement
    for my Sony NEX-3, both of them got a camera error saying: "Battery not compatible, use correct battery" This probably has to do with the Infolithium piece that communicates with the camera....

9. corona

corona Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Drats, would have been nice to find this out a month ago ;-)
    I oculd always use another good battery though, could you tell me where you got your BECAM one from?

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Booth in the electronics market in Seoul Korea

11. corona

corona Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ah,
    Well I didn't exactly have plans to head to korea any time soon, so I might get around to trying a random online guy with that brand. Or I'll make do with what I've got, a real one, a dodgy aftermarket, and a second dodgy aftermarket that's already in (slow) shipping. Thanks for that though.

Cheers,
    Andrew

12. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't know if I agree with that when it comes to batteries, the 1st party ones here are excessively overpriced and you certainly do not get your moneys worth...

As to the 3rd party ones, some are fine some are not, mostly (on various cameras) I have had good luck with 3rd party batteries..

BTW I think my current 3rd party one is chipped as it is showing me the battery level..

13. Andrew, purchased an aftermarket battery for the GF-1/G2 from bestbatt.com. There is a UK bestbatt.com. Assuming same company.
    Chipped & fully compatible with the latest pany firmware update. 1st unit shipped was DOA. The USA store sent a replacement. Good customer service. So far, the replacement unit is charging up and holding a charge just as good as the OME battery(5 months, ~5 charge cycles). The aftermarket and OME battery are of similar age and have about the same number of recharge cycles.

My previous experiences with aftermarket batteries has been negative. Fine new, but shorter life regarding number of recharge cycles. Time will tell if the lower cost was a true savings.

14. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    The Olympus BLS-1 battery covers such a wide range of models, it's kind of hard for third parties to royally screw it up.

Now when you start messing with chip lockouts, constant revisions and hardcore proprietary practices *ahem sony cough* that's when things get sketch.

15. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    I got a couple of Maximal Power batteries in Amazon for my E-PL1 and E-P3, to replace the BLS-1 batteries, and they work perfectly well. No problems at all.

Gus

16. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I'm using 'Blumax' batteries for the G3 (three of them cost the same as one Panasonic battery), they feel well put together and last at least as long as the original battery.

I would buy originals at £30 a pop (which would surely still be a healthy profit margin) but not the £60 Panasonic want.

17. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    As has already been said you get what you pay for my second battery for my GF1 is a hahnel which works just as well as the Panasonic battery that I got with the camera. if I was getting another one then I would happly get the same again. Seems to last just as many shots and hopefully will continue to do so. Shows how much power left. :2thumbs:

18. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I bought 2 "Power-Mart" that have a 1 year warranty to be 100% compatible, from an eBay Store that sells this kind of stuff as business.... I have had no issues at all. same power output. I have gotten over 400 shoots off them most of the time. It shows the power bars just fine on my G3...

19. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Same here. I find the Maximal Power batteries (Amazon) last longer than the stock BLS-1 battery. Absolutely no problems.

20. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    +1 for Duracell. The original Olympus battery was way too expensive.