1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thinnest mft lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bmlsayshi, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bmlsayshi

bmlsayshi New to Mu-43

Oct 31, 2011
    Hi all,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a super thin lens for my E-P3? The thinnest one I have is the Panasonic 20mm 1.7.

*Don't get me wrong, I already love how portable this system is and don't mind carrying it with me everywhere, its just that I feel it could be even more portable.

2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    The 17/2.8 and the 14/2.5 are both smaller than the 20/1.7.

3. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    The Panny 14mm is smaller and thinner than the 20mm. I have never seen the Oly 17mm so I an unable to compare it to the two Panny lenses.

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Thinnest m43 lenses:

14mm Panasonic, 21mm
    17mm Olympus, 22mm
    20mm Panasonic, 26mm
    14-42mm Panasonic X, 27mm

and then there's a big jump to 40mm+, starting with the 12mm Olympus

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Panny Leica 25mm f1.4 = 55.4 mm
    Olympus 45mm f1.8 = 56.0 mm

I only put that up because so often people claim the PL 25/1.4 is sooo damn massive that it's impractical. Actually, it's not as HUGE as some suggest.

Yes it is 15mm wider, but given that your camera is twice as wide again, width or diameter isn't so much the issue, it's length or protrusion that is the real issue and as you can see, the petite 45mm Oly is actually longer than the 'way too big' summilux.

• Like Like x 1
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hmmmm, this response could go right into the dirty-minded gutter, but I think you have a good point that the length is probably the more important dimension. :biggrin: I think the width is more of a visual thing. Also need to look at the weight, though, where the PL25 is nearly 2X as massive as the Oly 45mm, rightfully so because of the build quality. Maybe the 12mm is closer in weight, but it somehow still feels a lot smaller, to me, than the PL25.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Lol.

I should've put a parental guidance warning at the top of that post !!

But going back to the 14,17 and the 20.
    It really is amazing that we can have such great lenses in such small a size, not to mention all the other great lenses we have.
    All that talk on other forums about the mu43 system being a dead end road to me is load of bollocks. Mu43 is great !

• Like Like x 4
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :2thumbs:

It is pretty amazing kit available for us m4/3 cult members! I mean, seriously, if both companies stopped producing today, we would still have an impressive ecosystem of bodies, lenses and accessories.

Oh yeah, and that 14mm is ridiculously small. I really love it on my E-P3 and works great on my wife's E-PL3.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Actually, I think you've misread the specs: the 45mm is only 46mm long: Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

Even smaller than you thought!

10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
  11. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    So here's a stupid question: How come a 20mm lens isn't 20mm long? Or why aren't all 50mm manuals all 50mm deep, or even close to the same?
    I'm sure there's some perfectly logical explanation for it, but I was under the impression that focal length was the distance from the front element to the focal plane/sensor. Is it the rear element?

Curious,
    Acer

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    With a simple lens (a single element) the focal length is the distance behind the center of the lens where infinity is focused. With simple compound lenses the focal length is usually measured from somewhere the middle of the lens.

It gets more complicated. With a long lens, 400mm for example the lens needs to be 400mm (nearly 16 inches) from the focal plane at infinity, further to focus closer. Additional elements can be added to create a telephoto design. This physically shortens the lens bringing it closer the sensor without changing the field of view. Now the focal length is measured from outside and in front of the lens.

A very short wide angle lens may be impossible to get close enough to the sensor. A retrofocal design moves the lens further from the sensor while retaining the same field of view.

Fred