Thinking to take Zuiko 12-40mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rezatravilla, Mar 13, 2014.

1. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Hi all,

need advise. I'm thinking to buy zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 by selling all of my lenses including the 17mm f1.8 and add some money. What makes me doubt is, does the DoF between f2.8 and f1.8 were so different?
    Actually i like the character of 17mm and the bokeh is smooth. Do you have any samples comparable bokeh between them? Why i'm interested with 12-40? well i already tested it's amazing lens. You can do macro, landscape and portrait.
    I'm using EM5. I noticed that when i put this lens on EM5, the weight balance will more heavier on lens. That's why i consider to add vertical grip once i bought this. Need advise all. Thanks.

2. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    You can shoot 17mm at 1.8 and 2.8 in order to see the difference. For me f2.8 on a mu43 sensor is a bit borrying (at least if you talk about general shooting like inveronmental portraiture, kids, family, though I'm sure it is ok for the street or documentary). I had the same question you have and decided to keep my 17mm 1.8 for now. This is simply because it spends most of the time on my camera and I like this lens' caracter at f1.8. Also it is very compact, which is nice for traveling. In another thread it's been discussed already that you'd still need to complement 12-40 zoom with a fast wide prime (for indoors and nice rendering, be it 17mm or 25mm). Perhaps it depends on your style of photography. I like environmental portraiture and f2.8 simply won't work for me. For this specific reason I will be bying PL25 over OLY25. Even 2/3 of a stop make a great difference on a mu43 sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    yeah that's also what i think too actually. 17mm f1.8 has some character that i love. But for all around purpose 12-40mm f2.8 is also so tempting. hard decision hard decision :tongue:

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Try the lens out before you buy a vertical grip. I found after testing with and without the vertical grip that I prefer it without. On the E-M5 with the HLD-6 and 12-40 that my fat fingers are a little to fat and I have very little space to hold the camera properly. I've found the J&B grip gives my fingers more room and you may prefer that. I personally settled on a Gariz half case for the E-M5. It adds just a tiny bit of depth to the thickness of the camera and makes the E-M5 much easier to hand hold with this bigger lens. YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Hi, apa kabar!

For me the 12-40mm is very front-heavy and uncomfortable on a gripless E-M5. When you're shooting it's fine because your left hand is under the lens, but when you're carrying it whether from a neck strap or one-handed in your right hand it's very awkward. You might consider the J&B or Really Right Stuff grips to avoid that discomfort. They don't give you the portrait grip like the HLD-6, but they give you more area for your right hand fingers to hang onto.

But personally I wouldn't give up the 17mm f/1.8 for the 12-40mm f/2.8. That's more than a stop of light, which depending on your shooting situation could be a big deal. If you need the convenience of a zoom and don't mind giving up more than a stop of aperture, the 12-40mm f/2.8 is a great lens. I can't speak for you since I don't know how you shoot, but I'd rather get rid of the 14-42mm and pick up a 45mm f/1.8 instead. That leaves you without a 14mm or wider, but the 14mm f/2.5 is a fun lens that can be picked up for cheap. The 12mm is great but pricey and might not be in the budget.

• Like Like x 1
  6. andrehoban

andrehoban New to Mu-43

Mar 9, 2014
    At f2.8, this lens is amazingly sharp from corner to corner starting from 12mm all the way up to at least 25mm. The next data point is 40mm and the sharpness of this lens really falls off by then. This lens is sharper than the Nikon and Panasonic versions. On a FX sensor, f2.8 is too shallow of a DOF for event shooting so I usually stop down to f5.6. With the larger DOF of the m43, f2.8 is imminently usable for DOF so it is excellent this lens is so sharp. Also, with a 2 stop aperture advantage, I can keep the ISO 2 stops lower. Since the best FX sensor is ~1.75 stops better for ISO, you get a ~.25 stop cleaner image using the m43 camera kit. From 12mm to 40mm, f/2.8 to around f/8 or so it's great. [​IMG]After f/8 one starts getting diffraction, but results are still good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bucky

bucky New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2012
    I sold my 17 f/1.8 when I purchased the 12 - 40.. Yeah I guess f/2.8 is bit "boring", but I in no way regret selling the 17mm.. I was never happy with the sharpness of the 17 mm compared to the 25 f/1.4 and 45 f/1.8. I took the 17 mm on a recent trip to Disney and was really disappointed with the 17 and happy with the 25. The 12 - 40mm is pixel sharp between 12 - 25.. 17mm was always an akward focal length for me.. The 25 is great for all types of portraiture.. I guess 17mm is good for environmental or group portraiture, but you can still get good bokeh at f/2.8 with adequate separation between the subject and the background.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Already tried but somehow the balance is quite odd. Hmmm i will try with J&B Grip later (borrow from my friend) :biggrin:

Oh hi, kabar baik! :thumbup:
    Yes i think i will try with J&B Grip. Hmmm actually there are many alternatives . First getting 12-40mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8. Keep 17mm and gets 12-40mm by selling 14-42 and 40-150mm or get 12-40mm f2.8 and 9-18mm. hmmmm I think i will get 12-40mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8 which is also a deadly combo :drinks:

YES! this is the most interesting 24-80mm focal length i ever see. It's also can do macro which is good for product photography. Very all around lens. No need 60mm macro since the DoF also the same.

I think i will get 45mm and 12-40mm. It's a deadly combo :2thumbs: