1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thinking out loud - 2nd body?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Omni, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I recently picked up an omd em5 as my 1st micro 4/3 camera and I'm having a lot of fun. I bought the body only and picked up a 20mm.

The 20mm is a great lens but I'm probably going to buy a 25PL for it instead. Which leaves me with what to do with the 20?

Overall I think I want to keep it but my mind has started wandering about what to do with it. Maybe pick up an old gf1 or an old ep1? I've never used either one and this would be more along the lines of a fun 'toy' to play around with.

Or maybe I'm out of my mind and I should stop spending $ and sell the 20?

2. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I have different suggestions:

- If you like primes, and like wide, i believe you can find a GF3 + 14mm at the price you get selling your 20mm

- If you like primes, and like tele, i would buy a PL1-PL2-PM1 and a 45mm

- If you like zooms, wait. when G5 starts to flood the market, keep an eye open for an used G3 + kit zoom or, if you want an all-in-one lens, a 14-140.

either way, my suggestion is to sell the 20mm. Is difficult to find and has a great resell value, and will not have much different field of view than the newer 25mm.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I actually own three different Oly camera bodies, but only carry two at a time. I like having different lenses mounted on each - usually a 20mm and the 45mm. I can still swap in a longer or shorter lens, but these are the two I use most often. It also provides a backup in case one body goes down for any reason. You can get an E-P1 very inexpensively (and own what I believe is a classic camera) or an E-PL1 which is very highly regarded. There are frequently very good bargains here in the buy/sell area. :biggrin:

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    How do you know you will actually like the 25mm over the 20mm?

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sell the 20 and buy an EPM1 and a 14mm :)

6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Well, I own the 25mm and I still like the 20mm f/1.7 with my GX1 as a slim and trim m4/3 kit. Toss a 45mm f/1.8 in my pocket and I've got a really nice duo for stuff like hanging out with friends and getting some candid portraits and environmental shots. It's also great for situations where I'm not necessarily expecting low light so I'll be shooting with a zoom primarily. I can use the 20mm as a backup, and it's tiny and small so I don't mind tossing it in my camera bag or pocket.

In general my advice is if you think you'll find a use for it, why not hang onto it. If you're sure you won't use it (or you find yourself not using it after a while) then you may as well sell it and put the money into something else.

7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Unless you have other lenses for your OM-D, I would sell the 20mm and get another lens in a different focal length range as opposed to getting a second body. Of course, the addition of a refurbished E-PM1 from Cameta would mean you'd also add a 14-42mm which could be useful on either camera

8. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Thats a good question. I only have the 20mm right now - but the AF simply isn't fast for what I want to use the OMD for - taking pics of my nonstop moving 2 year old.

As of now - I sold everything - cameras and lenses and only have the OMD with a 20mm.

I kind of want a secondary camera that I'm not using to take pics of my kid - something else to mess around with. I'm leaning towards the old EP1 just because I'm still wrapping my head around the Oly menu's and hoping maybe I could learn them better on my 2ndary camera so that I will learn how to use my OMD better. If that makes sense?

But yeah - maybe selling the 20 and getting another lens in a different focal length isn't a terrible idea either.

Thanks for all the input guys.

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I say sell it.

IMO, if a purchase (or keeping something around) is not driven by a photographic need, then you should sell it and put it towards something that does fill a need.

This is unless your intent is to simply accumulate gear... (nothing wrong with that.. I do that too).

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    There are three reasons to get a second camera body, IMHO:

1) If you use it for work, it makes sense to buy a second identical body. Have two different focal length lenses, one on each body. Just to give an example, I'd very much like to be able to afford a second OM-D and have them fitted with Oly 45mm + Oly 75mm.

2) If you want a backup for whatever reason, it is better to get a camera with IQ as close to your #1 as possible, while being more economical. For the OM-D this would be something like a G5/G3 or a GX1.

3) If you need a second body for "special purposes", you pick a camera that fits the description. For example, I have an E-PM1 as second, for use in Street Photography and as a "always carry along" camera that I would mind so much if it got damaged, stolen, etc, as my OM-D.

Bear in mind that a used E-PL1 or GF-1 (or even refurbished) is almost dirt cheap at this point. And, TBH, IQ is the same as with all newer Pens and GFs.

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You should be getting a second lens, not a second body.

12. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I bought a second body for the purpose of not having to constantly switch my primes around and to have a camera to give my gf when we go out taking pictures. The only things the GX1 really was lacking that I wanted, were the IBIS and weather-sealing. I don't plan on ever getting rid of the GX1 as it is a great performer and due to the fact that the price of these things has dropped quite a bit in recent months.

I too thought about just getting an EPL-1 or GF1, but wanted something equal to the GX1 in performance (mainly just ISO). Therefore the only real options for me were the GH2 and G3, neither of which met my main goals (see above). It seems like for you keeping the 20mm and having any of the smaller bodies would give you a nice pocketable camera. However, I would probably acquire at least another lens before doing so. I have 4 native lenses and five Minolta lenses so a second body was really becoming a necessity for me (I have only one zoom the 7-14).

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm curious - why so positive?:confused:

14. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I continue to be amazed at how effective the "Leica" branding is when it comes to the Panny/Leica 25 "lux". :rolleyes: Everything I've read suggests that the Panny 20 actually has better performance... It's also tiny in comparison to the PL/25. As for the autofocus speed, hmmm... My 20 is plenty fast for me -- but then again I'm an old fart that cut my teeth on manual focus lenses! :biggrin: