Thinking of upgrading from my GF3

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by bbig119, Dec 5, 2013.

1. bbig119

bbig119 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2012

I've had a GF3 for a year and a half now. I'm pretty happy with the camera, but don't like having to dig through menus to get a manual controls, find myself wishing for a viewfinder sometimes, and get annoyed when I try to take pictures of my 2 year old nephew and the camera can't focus fast enough.

My wife and I are expecting our first child in March, and we are thinking of upgrading the camera from the GF3 to something that addresses the issues I mentioned above. I've blindly assumed that I will just move into a DLSR, but I'm curious if maybe would be making a mistake if I didn't consider some m4/3rd bodies.

I've currently got the 14 mm, 20 mm, and 45 mm primes as well as the 45-200 panasonic. I should also point out that upgrading need not mean that I sell my current gear. I do like the compactness of the GF3, I just get annoyed with some of the limitations/features.
  2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    An "inexpensive" way to test the waters would be one of the several OMD E-M5 bodies that are being offered in the buy/sell forum at enticing prices. I just picked up one with very little use on it mainly for use when I have to have video in motion. The 5 axis image stabilzation helps a lot there.

The lenses you have will work fine on those, another option would be a GH3 body or the new Lumix GX7.

In your situation I would look hard at the GX7.
  3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The PM2 will be a huge, huge upgrade to the GF3 and only very marginally bigger. They are giving them away for $350 with a two lens set right now.
  4. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    For compactness and value, this is the best option. Viewfinder attachments can be had for cheap. However, this body also has few manual controls.

For AF performance, the best bodies are the G6, GH3, GX7, and EM1. They have a very fast 240hz AF processor which gives them an advantage in low-light focusing and precision. Coincidentally, they all also have EVFs and a large amount of manual controls. For single-shot focus, the latest bodies will have an advantage over most DSLRs in focus speed. If you want to use AF-C, though, the DSLRs beat every body other than the EM1.
  5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    The EM-5 ticks all your checkboxes. It's what I would get if I were you.
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Can you afford the GX7? I'd wager that would satisfy the size requirements and be future-proof enough to keep you happy with it for a good while. The GX series does really well with lots of accessible controls. The EM5 might be a good deal right now, but if you're used to the size of the GF3 it might be a little unwieldy?