1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thinking of trying a G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WT21, Nov 21, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm thinking of trying out a G3. I have an EPL2 + VF2 and an EP1. I really like to have the VF2, but get worried about knocking it off. Plus, I downloaded some G3 RAW samples, and it seems to me that G3 RAWs are easier to work than Pen RAW files. The ones I downloaded seem to hold together better (when lifting shadows, or doing major tonal adjustments in B&W).

My question for G3 owners -- what do you think about the grip? It just looks odd in the pictures.

I'm really interested in feedback on just two things -- the grip (especially compared to an EPL2, which is a form factor I love) and working the files in RAW (if you happened to have worked both G3 and Pen RAW files).

p.s. I've already researched the touch screen, battery life, etc. Just looking for input on those two things above.

Thanks for any help!

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I do not have any problems with the G3 grip. It's actually very good, my right middle finger fits in there properly so that my thumb works the back controls and the index finger on the shutter button.

It's maybe as big as the grip on the E-PL1, but with a more comfortable (ergonomic?) design (at least for me).

• Like Like x 1
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I find the grip OK as well, which kind of surprised me given it's size & shape. I'm not real thrilled with the button layout in general, but I may not be giving myself enough time to adjust to that.

WT21, my G3 is for sale if you are interested. It is in nice shape. Black. Best way to to evaluate is to "buy and try". :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Can only comment on the grip, but I think the size is pretty good. I think it forms very well to a natural hold. I'm not a big guy though, so I can see it being a problem for those with larger hands (not necessarily specific to the G3, but anything this styled).

I do wish it were textured like the GX1. That looks like it'll be even nicer.

Unfortunately, I can't really recall the E-PL1 much. Just that I was not thrilled with its build. I will say I felt the GH1 was very awkward to me. Like I needed to have my fingernails digging into it or something.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Having owned the G1 and G2 before it, I thought I would have a problem with the G3's grip. But it works out just fine. You simply grasp the camera in a slightly different manner without really even thinking about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I don't like the grip at all. It just doesn't feel right in my hand, especially when trying to use a heavier lens like the 45-200 or 14-140. I can "one-hand" those lenses on the G2, but the sculptured grip of the G3 just doesn't have enough of a lip at the top for a sure-handed feel.

I'm considering selling the G3 in the next few months; it just doesn't get out with me like the E-PL2 does. And if I spring for the E-P3....it's all over but the shouting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I love the grip and general handling of my G3.It IS different.You don't have the space to grip with all of your fingers, but since the camera is so small and light, you don't need the full grip to hold it securely.I find all the manual controls very easy to get to by touch without having to use the touchscreen.Very large hands may have a problem though.Since getting the G3,I have'nt touched my Ep-1 or D90.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I found the g3 grip too small when I first got it, felt ok in the shop but after using it all day my hand was starting to cramp. The I realized that I had the hold it with both hands and it's been fine since.

I think I'll sell it in a few months too, and go for something slightly smaller and made of metal like the gx1 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I loved the IQ of the G3- but it was too small for my hands.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    1) IMO, the advantage of m43 format is not ergonomics, it's size/weight. I've had G3 for a while and while I definately prefer E-PL2's grip, it didn't really bother me and I'm currently using gripless E-PM1.

2) Don't be deceived by some studio raw files. G3's somewhat inconsistent and unreliable metering also affects raw files (not just jpegs).

• Like Like x 1
  11. robertmwilliams

robertmwilliams Mu-43 Regular

I had the G3 until last week.
    I found the grip too small from me especially when using legacy glass (my Micro Nikkor 55mm Macro mainly) for any extended time.
    The grip on the E-PL2 or better yet the G2 are better IMHO.
    Also the raw files from the G3 while being very sharp and detailed, had too much grain/noise for my taste that required cranking up the noise reduction in LightRoom past 40 when ISO was 800 or above.
    I sent it back to Amazon.com and went back to my E-PM1 with the VF-2 for now.
    However others love the G3 and produce awesome work with it.

12. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    At first I though the G3 was going to be a little small for my liking after the first day of using it I found the handling very nice. The only thing I would change is the recessed function button and maybe a better feeling adjustment wheel.

13. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    I dislike huge grips ala GH series so G3 grip is great for me.

But best to try it out for yourself.

14. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    The grip is fine in my opinion. I also have a G1 and GF1 and find they all work well. As to RAW, I don't bother since the G3 is exceptional at in-camera processing You can adjust the camera to get exactly what you want and still have plenty of leeway to easily tweak the jpegs it produces.

15. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    I like the feel of the GH2 better than the feel of the G3, but size & price kept me at the G3, and I think the GH3 is coming soon.

16. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I considered buying a G3, but didn't like its ergonomics and ended up with the GH2. IQ-wise they're very similar and both very good.

17. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I'm in the same boat between my E-PL2 and the G3. I do feel that the E-PL2 is better to hold because of the grip and because it just feels better balanced.

However, even though I have the E-VF2, I shoot with a wireless strobe trigger a lot and HATE to have to choose between a viewfinder and the trigger. I'm willing to have a bit less comfort w/ the G3 in order to have both.

That said, does anyone want to trade their G3 for my excellent condition E-PL2 + E-VF2 + extra battery??

PM me!

18. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I have the admittedly imperfect LVF1 for my GF1, but found it was not the limitted resolution of the LVF1 that was annoying - indeed, it functioned fine for the intended purpose - it was having to put it on and take it off that was annoying. It is such a joy to have the G3's beautiful, large, clear EVF present all the time.

Having owned the G3 since July of this year, I can tell you that it readily becomes "well balanced" with use and easily operated without taking your eye off the viewfinder. Compared to the G1, the G3 has fewer buttons, but just the right number of buttons (with two of them progamable) that you have access to everything you need without resorting to the menues. This means there is no need to put on and take off reading glasses to find buttons or page through menues.

19. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Yes, the flat function button but otherwise after shooting with it on 10 day trip using a Y strap--love it more. I come from G1 and GF1 but before, FF Canon for years but admittedly haven't shot much with it since getting G1 Dec 08. I may add another m4/3 body down the road but quite happy with G3 right now. I shoot only in raw.

20. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Just ordered the G3 from Panasonic ($449, body only) as a
    replacement for one of my G1's. I wanted to try some video
    with my legacy lenses yet didn't want to spend all the $$$
    for the GH. Should receive it this week..... :biggrin: