Thinking of trading my Oly 12mm f2 for a 12-40mm f2.8...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Johnny The Greek, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 19, 2015
    As much as I love my primes, and will keep most of them anyway, I'm thinking of offsetting the cost of buying the latter with the funds I get selling the former. Sometime in the coming year I will either bite the bullet and buy the new E-M1 or else settle on the original model, and wanted a weather sealed lens to go along with it (the 12-50 is fine but clearly has inferior optics)

I'm just wondering if anybody was or is in the same boat, and what you ended up doing.

2. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Been there, done that, worked out fine for me!

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Whatever you decide, consider that if you're getting it new, getting the 12-40 as a kit along with the body is significantly cheaper than standalone.
    You might want to hold off for a bit as the new weather sealed Panasonic 12-60, though still a bit slow, looks to be a good quality lens.

4. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    I had the 12/2, now use the 12-40/2.8 - the zoom is far flexible and I think the IQ @ 12mm is actually a bit better than the 12 I had (primarily edge/corner sharpness). The prime makes a better astro lens but that's about it other than size.

5. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Also owned both, gave up the prime bc I needed the funds; the 12-40 is obviously much bigger/heavier, but it was a tradeoff I was willing to make for versatility in FL (+ weather-sealing). I suppose if money didn't matter, I would keep both...

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I kept the 12 after getting the 12-40 and still use it on occasion. There are times when I don't want the size and weight of the 12-40 but I do want the focal length. A 1 stop gain in speed is rarely a factor for me.

I will say that I think there's something about the way that the 12-40 renders things that I prefer to the 12. It's something to do with colour or contrast but I seem to have a slight preference for the 12-40 over the 12, 17 and 25 primes but I have kept all of my primes in that range.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I agree with David A on the 12 and 12-40. Kept them both, use the 12-40 more, but find that at times I still need the smaller prime.

8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Keep them both and wait a year. If after a year you find you haven't picked up the 12/2 prime more than once or twice, then go ahead and sell it.

9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    There are a few lenses that IMO are not really worth getting due to alternatives. When I first saw the 12/2 I really, really wanted it. But, after thinking about it, isn't the 12-32 just fine for my purposes? The answer has been, yes. As far as the 12-40/2.8, I never really liked that lens either. I would prefer to have a couple small primes or, 12-32 + 20/1.7 or 25/1.8 + 45. That's just me though. If you're looking for a one-lens setup obviously the 12-40 is the go-to.

10. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I went both ways, 12/2 to 12-35 and back to 12/2. The 12-35 has better cross-frame sharpness than the 12/2 due to the 12/2's field curvature (the 12-40 is even better at 12). However, I felt like 2.8 was marginal in a lot of situations for MFT, both in terms of limited ISO performance and DOF, and the size/weight of the lens almost demands an external grip, which puts the body/lens package out of small camera territory. If I'm not carrying a small camera, my thought is I might as well go back to full-frame for the better IQ. So I stick with a trio of primes on MFT (12, 17, 45).

11. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Embarrassingly I will take you one step farther 12 - > 12-35 - > 12 - > 12-35. Basically I really like and seem to have more fun at times with the 12mm (and other small primes) but find with multiple young kids I always go back to zooms. Young kids don't stay still and I end up getting frustrated at not having the right focal length to get the shot I want, or missing it while changing lenses. This combined with being too cheap to keep both for just a hobby means I'm back to the 12-35....for now:rolleyes-38:

12. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    It depends on your style of shooting I guess. I have the 25pl and the 45pl that cover most of what I do, I bought the 12-35 to cover the wide angles which I like to shoot, since the 12 is almost as expensive. I found myself missing wider angles, and using the other FLs at 25 and tele end, so went for a 7-14.
    Try and see what is best for you, today is really easy to swap lenses without much loss.

I also suggest you check the most used FLs (there's a nice little program for that) , it may make life easier for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.