Thinking of Prime 60 Macro or 75 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LisaO, Dec 19, 2012.

1. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    I've been thinking of getting one of the new Olympus primes, either the 60mm Macro or 75mm 1.8. They both appeal to me I want a relatively long, fast sharp lens. I know the 75 is bigger and more $$. Anyone else with a similar dilemma?

Also has anyone found good lens hood alternatives, I hate that Olympus sells these expensive lenses and then wants another $80 for a hood you can't even find.

Thanks Mu4/3ers
  2. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I want both but my wife doesn't agree with me ;)
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

First step... figure out what you want to shoot. Then the decision will be obvious. 75mm is not a Macro and 60mm isn't as fast.
  4. usayit

75mm and 60mm use a pretty common filter thread size. You can find inexpensive hoods that screw on the filter threads.... some plastic and some metal.
  5. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    The 75 is at the top of my wish list so for me it would be a no brainer. Do you shoot much macro? Do you have the lighting equipment to do it properly?
  6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    I shoot macro sometimes and have macro lenses for my DSLR but they are big and heavy. At one time I had the Panasonic/Leica 45 macro but sold it in favor of using a manual focus Nikon Macro 55 via adapter to m4/3.

To me the 75mm 1.8 looks quite nice, focuses pretty close but is big and heavy for a M4/3 lens.

I was really wondering if anyone has found good eBay copies of the OEM hoods for 1/8 the price. I really think they should be included with any $200+ lens.

I have lights, tripods, reflectors etc. I don't know how much I would use the lens as a macro vs just as a longer lens.
  7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    The 60mm is pretty versatile and can also do as a very good portrait lens. Drive up your ISO and it can shoot with indoor lighting. Pretty damn sharp, better than the 45/1.8 and 25/1.4. Only flaw I've noticed is that oversaturates reds.
  8. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    Depends on how important macro is to you as others have said. I've literally just bit the bullet on the 60mm macro minutes ago. Having heavily used and abused the 12-50mm macro function over the last 4 months or so, much more heavily than other styles of photography, and seeing the reviews and some of the forum members pictures, I couldn't wait any longer.

On the down side, I'm hoping the mrs won't notice £400 quietly slipping out of the bank account less than 2 weeks before we move house...bad timing? Always.
  9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I'd say the biggest differentiator between these two lenses (leaving aside build quality) is going to be macro vs. regular tele and f/2.8 versus f/1.8 aperture.

What's more important to you? Melting the background at f/1.8? Macro capability? How important is price?

They're both very sharp lenses with good optics, so the reasons to pick one over the other are pretty much determined by what you want to do with it. The 75mm isn't going to get you close-up shots, and the 60mm macro isn't going to get you the super shallow DoF of the 75mm.
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Change the wife then :wink:both lenses are excellent and must have ones hahahh
  11. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    I wouldn't worry about the DoF difference between the 2 lenses, both will provide verry shallow depth of field. The 60 is around a stop slower but it allows you to be closer than the 75 which will get you a shallower DoF.

Here's the 75mm at f1.8:
    Subject distance 14 ft
    Depth of field
    Near limit 13.7 ft
    Far limit 14.3 ft
    Total 0.56 ft

Here's the 60mm at f2.8:
    Subject distance 10 ft
    Depth of field
    Near limit 9.66 ft
    Far limit 10.4 ft
    Total 0.71 ft

The DoF is very close and isn't a very big factor IMO. To mess with more check out Online Depth of Field Calculator
  12. usayit

75mm has 9 aperture blades
    60mm has 7 aperture blades

might be worth looking at more than paper specs and examine samples of how the OOF specular highlights and bokeh look like.

In the end... its all about what you want to shoot. Not sure about the 60mm but in general macro specific lenses also tend to focus a bit slowly
  13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think a plastic hood should be included with every lens! Come on the chunk of plastic probably costs $2 to make. As for copies I just checked and found one or two for the 75mm at half the price that Olympus wants but none for the 60mm{they will come soon!}.

I too would love to have the 75mm but the price is too high{IMHO}. I am seriously considering the 60mm but it will have to wait for awhile at least. I just bought the Pany 20mm - Merry Christmas to me!:biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Joe_B

Joe_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis, California
    Olympus 60mm - Great for Macro and non-Macro

Here is a link to a great non-macro image with the Olympus 60mm f 2.8 macro - - I think it is an excellent example of how good the Olympus 60mm is for non-macro use for portraits. Open this image by Morten Westergaard in Flickr at the original size and check out the quality of the detail in the girls left (our right) eye and eyebrow.

Image removed

All sizes | E-PL3_2012-11-27_PB273087-Edit.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The examples on the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro Image Thread are the reason that I decided to go with the Olympus 60mm before the Olympus 75mm.
    I am currently waiting on the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 that I ordered.
  15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I dont really accept that argument. In any case wouldnt the Op be better off then with a 45/1.8.

Subject distance 8ft
    Dof 0.51ft

Subject distance 10ft
    Dof 0.79ft

So with the 45/1.8 you can be the same distance from the subject as the 60/2.8 and get more in the picture with the same Dof or you can be closer and get the same subject as the 60 with a narrower Dof.
  16. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    I wasn't making an argument, just saying that I don't feel the depth of field differences to be significantly different. The 45 is a fine lens but not one of the ones the OP mentioned so I didn't look at it. I used to take portraits on with my 50f1.4 instead of my 85f1.8 because by getting in so close you achieve shallower DoF. This could be simulated on m43 by getting the Voigltander or PL 25 and just getting closer to your subject. However, these lenses weren't mentioned in the OP and if all we want to know is which lens makes the shallowest DoF then just plug them into the calculator and poof, there's your answer. This is a discussion about the characteristics/qualities of the lenses and I only made my post to help the OP not get hung up on the DoF differences.
  17. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    How dare you limit your intended responses to only what being asked! Being serious, I ended up keeping the 60mm f2.8 as the sharpness is really close between the 2 lenses and I do not shoot indoors too much (75mm is good for portraits with low light). Price was a factor too, in that I'd rather have a $500 lens stolen than a $900 lens--heading to Colombia and Ecuador soon.
  18. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Both will do portraits but which one I would chose would be based on what else am I likely to use it for. Portraits and Macro 60mm, Portrait and Sports (Especially indoors) 75mm.

I'm lucky enough to still have my Tamron SP90mm f2.5 Macro from my OM1/3 which with an adaptor is stunning as a macro where MF is not an issue and the 12-50 that will do close focusing too. Obviously for me I would go for the 75mm but for you??
  19. usayit

Oh... and I forgot to post my default answer to threads regarding lens and portraits.

Get the cheaper of the two lenses and put your money towards LIGHTING. Even a basic "student" set will take your portraits farther than any particular lens could ever.