1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

thinking of Olympus 25 but the PL25 is tempting

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 12, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    First off, I realize the Olympus is neither announced no even a sure thing but I am very attracted to the idea of it. If there IS a 25/1.8 coming in around $250 and sharing lineage with the 45/1.8 I can see it being a very good lens indeed. I have undergone an m43 purge in a sense getting rid of most of my m43 gear (for a variety of reasons). I decided to stick with my E-P1 and GF2 and the P14/2.5, O45/1.8 and want to fill in the third spot with a normal prime. I sold the P20/1.7 I have had for some time (and liked) mostly because I want something with faster AF. Since I got my NEX it has taken over any MF duties so my m43 gear is the compact AF kit. I suppose I could have kept the P20 but sometimes you just gotta move one and try new stuff. FWIW the P20 is much quicker on the GF2 than the E-P1. If the O25 does not materialize I figure Panasonic may update the P20.

I was all set to wait out a possible 25/1.8 then I started thinking that the PL25/1.4 is very appealing (albeit larger) option. Here is the question, does anyone use the PL25 with an E-P1? Is it faster than the P20 was? I am gambling that if Olympus does bring out a 25/1.8 it'll have similar AF performance to the 45/1.8 which is pretty decent on the E-P1 (and terrific on the GF2). FWIW there is something liberating about heading out with an E-P1 and P14 or O45 and nothing else. I don't miss any of the gear I cleared out. I have decided to put the burden of better pictures on ME being better rather than my gear.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I hear you. I had the 25/1.4 in my shopping cart on B&H today, but I told myself to have a little self control and wait and see what Oly does with regard to a 25/1.8. I've owned the Summilux, and it is a great lens, but for somewhere around half the price I'd definitely go with the Oly if it performs like the 45/1.8.

FWIW (very little, I imagine) I felt like the 25/1.4 focused more quickly on the E-PM1 than did the 20/1.7.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I didn't feel that the gain in AF speed on the older Oly bodies was siginficant vis-a-vis the PL25 and P20. that was my impression on the E-P2 and E-PL1 anyway. In good light where the camera operates the lens partially stopped-down, there is a distinct lag as the aperture is opened before focus is obtained. It's this two-stage process that seems to slow it down. In lower light when the lens remains fully open it may be better. Everything happens much faster on the newer models, especially the E-M5 which is more likely to leave the lens wide-open in brighter conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep, that's pretty much what I figured. I was at BH today as well I just didn't bother putting it in the cart though. An Olympus 25 at half the price with some of the same characteristics as the 45 would be nice. The 45 does very well with the E-P1 (albeit a bit noisier than with the GF2 with which the 45 is wonderful). It helps that my NEX is taking up the slack for my normal lens needs. The NEX-C3 and my Konica 24/2.8 are filling in admirably. In fact, the P14 has been a bit of a surprise, I am finding it a very fun lens to use and in some ways more useful (at least right now) than the P20 was. Off topic, but I have been seriously thinking about the WA attachment for the P14 as a fun little thing to play with.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I was thinking it would be that way. I figure it'll be nice on the GF2 (even the P20 is acceptably zippy on a Panasonic body) but I am keeping the E-P1 and using it so I'd rather the lenses play nice with all the bodies. The O45 does.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Playing the rumor game with Olympus is dangerous indeed ... Their rumor-market time is longer than any company I've ever seen (except maybe Panasonic for us in the States).

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    No doubt.

Since selling the 25/1.4 and then the 20/1.7 and then the 19/2.8 I've found that I'm pretty happy with just the 14/2.5 and 45/1.8 (+ the 12-50). If I really felt like I had a gaping hole at 25mm I'd pony up the cash for the 25/1.4 today. But I feel like I can wait. That always works out so well... :wink:

8. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    It's the best 50mm equivalent lens I've used and I've used just about all of them.

It's not about the sharpness but the rounded detailed resolution. Just something that makes me look at images longer.

Attached Files:

9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Having both the PL25 and P20, I'd consider the Oly 25 IF it was the same size as the 20, with the same AF speed as the 25, and performance IQ wise in the same department as either.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Personally, I find the rendering characteristics of the Pannys more pleasing than the Oly lenses (though I prefer the Old bodies over the Pannys).

• Like Like x 1
  11. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I know we are only talking about rumors but if the Oly 25 is priced around $250 I doubt the quality will be equivalent to the Oly 45, it will probably be similar to the Oly 17 which is decent but in no ways great.

12. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    If it were F1.8 it might be optically superior sooner since the design would be less demanding.

13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    not again, silver lens? hehe... I'm still on the verge with the pana-leica. :biggrin:

14. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    As someone who owns, shoots with, and loves the Pana-Leica 25mm ... I say you should wait.

I shoot with Olympus Pen bodies (E-P1, E-PL1s, E-P3 and E-PM1). The Panasonic lenses focus slower on Olympus cameras than Panasonic bodies. As much as I love my 25mm lens it takes a fraction of a second longer to get AF lock than the Oly 12mm, 45mm or even the plain old 14-42mm IIR "kit lens."

Sure, the 25mm isn't "that" slow on modern Oly Pen cameras, but it is noticeably slower (worse on my older E-P1 and E-PL1s). Of course, when you get focus the image quality is fabulous.

Bottom line, if the rumors are true and Olympus releases a 25mm f/1.8 lens this year then chances are good that it will focus faster on Olympus bodies than the Pana-Leica 25mm and it will be cheaper. Oly usually makes GREAT optics so I doubt it will be worse than the Pana-Leica at equivalent f-stops. Yes, if rumors are true then it won't be as fast in terms of wide-open aperture (f/1.8 vs. f/1.4) but faster AF speed and lower cost are big advantages.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have NOT found the PL25 focuses slower than the 45 1.8 or the kit on the long end. Also, it would be important to compare them at stopped-down, vs. wide-open.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    With the Leica DG Summilux 25mm, you'll also get a hood and carrying case..:wink::wink::wink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Same here, haven't done any official testing but nothing noticeable.

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes well that explains the $300 price difference. :eek:

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The Oly 25mm price has not been confirmed. Then there's the M. Zuiko 12mm and 75mm both without hoods and carrying cases...

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    After testing and thinking a bit, I'll alter my comment.

First off, with an AF lens, it was dumb of me to talk about testing it stopped down, as the lens AFs open anyway, then stops down for the shot. Having said that, I tested lenses open and stopped down with no noticeable difference in AF speed.

On the 45/1.8 -- no m43 AF prime I have used has led to more AF frustration than the 45/1.8. It has hunted some times, but mostly I have missed more focus on this lens than any other prime (some zooms have been worse, but not primes). I sold it, so no longer have it to test, but if the key is fast AF = missed AF, then I don't care that much. I've had 2 of those lenses.

I test the PL25 against 2 Oly lenses. Unfortunately, I only have Oly zooms, so it's all I can test. I tested against the 9-18 and the 14-42 ii R. To my surprise, the 9-18 was SLOWER than the 25 to lock AF at the 9mm end. I thought it would have been quicker. It was as quick, and maybe even a bit quicker, on the 18mm end. It might be because at 9mm, perhaps there was less contrast in my test scene to lock onto. The 14-42 kit AFed at the same speed as my PL25.

I did not time it, so if there's a fractional difference, I wouldn't know it, but in terms of noticeable difference, that's what I tested. These were all shot on EPM1s, as that's all I have. Of course, the AF on the EPM1 is very different than on an EP1. Send me your EP1, and I'll give 'em a test :biggrin:

Any rate, hope that helps in some way.