1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thinking of going Olympus (again)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Dec 20, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been an adapted lens shooter for several years now and as such have been using Sony and Fuji camera (primarily for the larger sensor and smaller crop). With my eyesight not what it once was I have been thinking for getting back into native lenses. I love the Fuji lenses but the cost is a bit prohibitive and I am not a fan of the Sony lenses. I do remember really liking the Panasonic P20, P14 and PL 45/2.8 macro quite a lot. To that end I have been thinking I'd like to pick up another m43 body again. Originally I was more a fan of Panasonic bodies but I have been looking at the Olympus OMD E-M10 as they are going for very good prices this holiday season (and kind like the design) and I was wondering if folks see any huge disadvantage of going for the older E-M10 as opposed to the newer mark II (about $150 difference)? I ask because I just came off of selling my NEX 6 for an a6000 only to find that I didn't like the a6000 at all.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    You get a few more things with the e-m10 II like 5 axis ibis instead of the 3, electronic shutter (1/16000), better viewfinder (2.3m dot vs 1.44), more video options and AF targeting pad. If you think you might need any of those things the Mark II might be the better option.

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The things that I find most compelling about the mark II are the better EVF, 5 axis IBIS (although I have no doubt the 3 axis on the E-M10 is also very effective) and the redesign of the control knobs on the top plate. Whether those are worth another $150 I am a lot less sure of. That's most of the cost of a used P20/1.7.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    dixeyk, not sure if you are interested in used bodies, but E-M10s can be had for <$300. If you wait for an Oly refurb sale they are right around $300 as well. I made the same comparison you are and could not justify the extra cash for the mkII version, especially for my non-primary camera.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had that thought. Of course the E-M10's are also on sale a number of places right now so even new they are pretty cheap. It would be my primary camera (at least for now). I have returned my a6000 and my only camera at the moment is a Fuji X10 point and shoot. Then again I may just use the little Fuji all winter and see what shakes out by Spring when it's not dark and raining all the time and I'm going to be itching to get out more and make images.

6. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Not to detract you from Olympus as I am heavily invested myself, but I should point out that when it comes between investing in lenses or camera bodies I will always invest in lenses. Camera bodies quickly depreciate as camera manufactures come out with new models every 9-12 months and use incremental updates to entice buyers into buying the newer models. Though some dispute me, I call it planned obsolesce. Lenses however hold their value much better. While I consider it spending money on camera bodies, because a smaller percentage of the cost can be recouped, I consider lenses, especially the pro quality, or fast f1.2 - f1.4 lenses as an investment because I can get a higher percentage of my investment back from such lenses than from a camera body. The Fuji lens might seem expensive and require a higher initial investment but they will hold their value longer than any camera body including Fuji camera bodies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, I have no system now but I do have a collection of nice legacy glass. If I had the funds I would probably grab an X-Pro 1 or X-E1 and 35/1.4 and not look back (best lenses and best IQ by a significant margin). I do like m43 cameras and lenses but perhaps starting with a new format is not the best option right now. One disadvantage to m43 is that it is not a particularly good option for using with adapted lenses and despite my wanting AF I know that I will want the option of using adapted glass now and again.

8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    What are your priorities for a camera system? What do you need the camera body to do? What features do you need/want? How large of a size and how much weight are you willing to go for in a kit, not just the body or lenses, but both along with needed accessories like lens adapters?

How much are you willing to pay?

Your eyesight not as good as it used to be and thinking about native lenses – I’m guessing this comment is about focusing lenses. So maybe you should look for camera bodies that can zoom and use split screen or focus peeking.

Difference in cost between EM-10 and EM-10 II – What are you willing to spend? See the first paragraph above? If you choose wisely you have more likelihood of using the equipment rather not and then getting rid of it for something else.

BTW – when you’re buying a camera body, you’re not just buying the camera body – you’re buying into a system. So consider the whole system.

I’d have to disagree, in less than two minutes I found over two dozen lens mount adapters that are available now for m4/3s bodies.

Canon EF/EF-S, Canon FD, C-Mount, Contartex, Contax G Pro, Contax N, Contax/Yashica, Deckel, Exacta/Topcon Pro, Fujica X Pro, Konica AR, Leica L39/M39, Leica M, Leica R, Leicaflex, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya ZE, Minolta MD, Miranda Pro, Nikon F, Nikon G, Olympus 4/3s, Olympus OM, Pentex K, Pentex M42, Pentex Q, T-Mount, Yashica 230 AF,

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    With all due respect I have logged many hours shooting tens of thousands of images over the past several years using several dozens of adapted lenses on m43, Sony and Fuji and my experience is that m43 is less than ideal for adopted lenses. Just because the adapter is available doesn't mean it's a good option. In fact the best option for adapted lenses is Sony. The combination of the larger sensor, and far better focus peaking make it an ideal digital back. The one area where m43 is a better option with adapted lenses is long telephoto where the smaller sensors 2x crop means you can pick up relatively fast 200/2.8 for a song and have it give you the equivalent reach of a 400/2.8. Add IBIS to the mix and that gives you a significant advantage. Of course I don't shoot long telephoto. For me the weaknesses of m43 with adapted lenses far outweigh the advantages.

As to your suggestions about how to go about choosing a system, I don't buy into systems. I find the notion ridiculous. Cameras and lenses are tools. I make images with them. I would no more commit to a camera system then I would buy into a system of wrenches or cast iron pans. Tools have different strengths and weaknesses and the most important thing about any tool is what you do with it not the tool itself. What m43 offers is compact bodies and lenses and at the present time my needs are such that having a compact kit would suit my needs pretty well. At another time I may prefer a point and shoot, APS-C or FF. If you look at my Flickr stream you will see images created over the past few years with everything from small sensor compacts to cameras and lenses from Fuji, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic with ten times as many lenses (both native and adapted). I doubt you could tell one from the other without looking at the EXIF. It doesn't matter what I use, I try to figure out what the tools does well be what it doesn't and then make images I like with that tool. I am thinking about buying an Olympus OMD E-M10 (some version of one at least) and a few lenses and that is it. I am most definitely not buying into a "system".

I know what I want. I want a comfortable small camera and a lens or two that I can use to make the images I like. The Olympus would work but so would any number of options out there. I'm looking at the Olympus because it is a great deal right now and I like how compact it is. Now if you have experience with the E-M10 or the mark II I would love to hear your impressions of it.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The Em10 is a great little camera with IQ comparable to the other OMD. I'd pick up the the non-electronic Oly grip for $50. It weighs nothing and really helps the ergonomics. I'd get a refurb Em10 from Olympus for the price. If you spend the money on a new one, I'd go for the em10 II for the better IBIs and other features like focus stacking. It's a fun camera to use and there's some nice and inexpensive primes for it.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm leaning toward the mark II because if the better (and slightly larger EVF) and the control layout which seems to be a step up over the original. The 5 axis IBIS is nice but I've never found IS to be a must have. Good tip on the grip. I was thinking that it likely needed one from the times I have handled the original E-M5.

Lens wise I would grB the P20 to start. It would serve a vast majority of my needs and should be pretty cheap used. Banding issues with E-M10 would be a pain.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Don't underestimate the IBIS. Olympus has a good implementation of this. Very helpful in low light as it can say you a few stops of iso which really helps with noise. What lenses are you considering?

13. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Yes, that's really good advice about the lenses. Plan your lenses first then the cameras, that's how I started with m43.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you want to get back into M43 for native and adapted glass then get the E-M10 II. The better EVF and current implementation of focus peaking is worth the extra cost. You get the option of different colors, plus the ability to adjust the intensity of the peaking. Also Olympus has implemented a 0 sec. anti-shock to both single and continuous shooting as well as an electronic silent shutter. If you were only shooting native glass, I'd say get the mk. I, but since adapted glass is also a consideration the mk. II is the better camera in that regards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well I had quite a few m43 lenses when from my time shooting Panasonic cameras. My top three would be the P20/1.7 (version 1), P14/2.8 and PL45/2.8 (I know the O45/1.8 is a lot cheaper but I really hate that lens).

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's a nice trio. I had the 14, 20, and the one you hate at one point. :p

17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I won't use adapted glass with the Olympus. I will use either Sony or Fuji for that. The Olympus would be for native glass only. I don't like adapted glass on m43. Been there, done that. I realize support for it has improved since I last shot m43 but the strength of m43 is its catalog of available lenses, compactness and fast AF. I'd rather stick to what m43 does best and not try to make it do stuff that is better handled on another platform.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Okay I guess hate is a bit much. I just don't like that lens as it has a fairly long MFD and I like to get close. It never was a good fit for me. It certainly was sharp and had nice bokeh...the build quality OTOH was hilariously cheap. The front ring kept falling off. I much preferred the PL45.

The 14/20/45 are a pretty useful set of focal lengths. I'm not much for zooms. On occasion I use them and they can be handy but I typically prefer primes.

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well I don't dislike IBIS. its one of those things that if it has it that's great but I've lived without it for so long that I can also do without.

20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    In that case get an E-M10 mk. I, best bang-for-the-buck M43 body in my opinion right now.