1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thinking of getting the EM5 MK2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Hdale85, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    So I'm possibly thinking of getting an Olympus camera, possibly the EM5 MK2. I'm going to set a budget for lenses of around $800 dollars and I'm just curious what you guys think I should get in that budget? I definitely want a prime lens, and we're going to be going to Virginia beach and some other places for vacation this year, I like a lot of landscape shots and what not but I also have 2 kids and plan on shooting action shots of them as well as video of them with the camera. Are there some good lenses I can fit into this budget and get awesome results?

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    There are very few bad lenses available. Questions about specific lenses might be easier to answer.

If I were spending ~$800 on lenses, and I wanted to cover the range of photography you've described, I'd look at...
    • Panasonic 20/1.7
    • Olympus 45/1.8
    • Olympus 40-150/4.0-5.6
    In fact, that is the same three lenses I first bought when I got into Micro 4/3.

Lenses are very personal choices, dependent not just on what you photograph -- your examples -- but how you see and like to compose. You may not learn the last part until you've experienced a plethora of lenses. I know I had no idea. The three lenses listed above will give you a great starting point for learning what your preferences are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richantablin

Richantablin New to Mu-43

Dec 25, 2014
    I think the EM5ii is a good choice. I have owned and returned the G7 and GX8 (both = fine cams!) But i ended up keeping the EM5ii. I use the Lumix 14-140, but would recommend the wx-resistant Oly Superzoom. Then I would add a normal prime. Eventually u might add the 45 and a wide angle option; I would say try 2 fisheyes: the 8mm body cap if u only have $100, or the Samyang/Rokikon 7.5 if u must have more sharpness. Keep in mind that about 4x a year Oly will give an extra 20% off all their refurbished gear. I have owned about 15 different m4/3 lenses, including the 3 excellent Sigma f2.8 primes. Not a bad one yet (-:

4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have the EM5-Mk2. It is a nice camera.

I would get a used Panasonic 12-32mm (the little mini lens). This is cheap and gives you a nice 12mm lens.
    Try the Oly 17mm or Panasonic 20mm for a nice versatile prime.
    Get the Oly 45mm for a great cheap portrait lens.
    Try the Oly 40-150mm for your longer zoom needs.

This gives you two lightweight and cheap zooms to cover a wide range of conditions and adds a nice verstaile prime for lower light situations as well as a cheap prime for portraits and bokeh.

I have owned all of these lenses and they treated me well.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I would look at picking up one of the f/2.8 zoom lens (either the Panasonic or the Olympus), and then a prime lens depending on what focal length you prefer.

6. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Thank's guys, I just want to make sure I get decent performance for my budget and that I'm spending my budget wisely. I'm looking at around 1800-2k all together and weighing both mirrorless and DSLR options. I'm not sure if there is a cheaper body that takes really good images and still does video really well freeing up more room for the lens budget? Seems like spending less on a body and more on lenses is generally the way to go but not a lot of mirrorless options that do good video and pictures it seems?

7. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

When it comes to video I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. The older Olympus bodies like the E-M10/E-P5/E-M5 only let you do 1080/30 which is fine in the US, but it can cause issues in the UK with mains flicker (we need 25/50 frames per second). The quality of the video can get a bit challenging when lots of movement is being captured e.g. running water or trees blowing in the wind. Something like the Panasonic GX7 (really any Panasonic cameras released after the G5) would give excellent video results and focus peaking. The disadvantage with Panasonic is that you would need a stabilised lens to get nice, smooth shots. Really you would want to pick up the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 with a GX-7 to get stabilised video and a wide aperture for indoors use. When it comes to image quality I think you'd struggle to see any difference between an E-M5 and an E-M5 Mk II! At higher ISOs like 3200-6400 there is a slight difference with newer cameras, but not much. As an example, this shot is ISO 3200 on an E-P5 (same sensor as E-M5 and E-M10):

image.

8. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    If you don't know which prime would suit you, start from the 12-35 or 12-40. When you see which focal length begs for wider aperture, get a prime. I'd done that if I had the experience at the time.

9. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Yeah the image stabilization was one of the main things I like about the EM5 M2, and I know I wouldn't really notice an image quality difference between the EM5 and the newer Mark II I mostly was considering the Mark II for the video features.

10. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    The mark II really does have very nice video, MUCH better than my EM10mkI (which is probably comparable to the original EM5). Perhaps consider a refurb Mark II from the Oly refurb store (none available at the moment but I think the usual refurb price is about $720 Reconditioned Cameras - Outlet | Olympus). There is a good chance Olympus will have a President's Day weekend coupon, making the refurb price even more attractive if they restock the Mark II by then. I managed to get one with the Cyber Monday coupon for less than the price of a new EM10. Mine looked new and had a very low shutter count. Buying refurb could save you enough for a prime lens, and an extended warranty is available to purchase. I know some people prefer to buy new, however. If you are considering a refurb, be prepared to pull the trigger immediately if a sale is announced. Sign up for the Olympus mailing list to be notified of sales. The best stuff goes very quickly.

I tend to agree with others above that the 12-40 2.8 or 12-35 2.8 zoom would be a great first lens for you to get, especially if you don't know what focal length suits you best. For outdoor daylight shots the quality is going to be very similar to a prime. Indoors you may still want that faster prime. Once you have used the zoom for a while you will have a better idea which prime would suit you best. With kids you will probably want something that will work well in tighter indoor spaces and will let you get both kids in one shot. The 15mm or 17mm might be good choices for that, or one of the 25mm if those are too wide.

11. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Seems the MK1 EM5 is 720 on there, kind of doubt the MK2 would be the same?

12. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    So lets say I go for the MK1 EM5, and grab a 12-40 F2.8 Pro, and a 40-150 F2.8 pro. and the 45mm f1.8 prime? Used/reconditioned prices on all that I'd be really close to my 2k mark (about 100 bucks over). Would this be a good option? Or am I throwing money away on the Pro lenses?

13. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    The mkI's at $720 come with the 12-50 lens, body only is $480.

I checked my mkII receipt and the refurb price (body only) was $719.99 and I had a $20% off coupon which gave me $144 off that price before tax.

14. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Yeah I noticed that after, sorry lol. Although BHP has the MK1 body for like 380 brand new.

15. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Yeah, better deals on new right now for the mkI.

Though the 12-40 is definitely worth it, I would wait on the 40-150 PRO if I were you - it is a very large lens by m 4/3 standards and unless you are sure you need a very good telephoto zoom I would wait. You could try the cheap 40-150, which is currently on sale for $100 and is surprisingly good for such an inexpensive lens. It is much smaller and lighter weight and you could get a sense of whether the PRO version is worth it to you. A lot of people here seem to keep the cheap version even after they buy the pro since it weighs practically nothing and is great for travel. I have the inexpensive 40-150 but do not need that focal range often enough to warrant buying the PRO version. Your mileage may vary.

16. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Yeah, I was figuring at used prices it wouldn't be hard to get my money back if that were the case.

17. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Another thing to consider when weighing the mkI vs. mkII is firmware updates. It seems unlikely that the mkI will get any more significant updates, whereas the mkII most likely will until there is a successor model, which could be a couple years. The recent 4.0 update to the mkII contained a number of useful new features. If I were in your shoes, knowing what I know now about my own shooting style and needs, the advantages of the mkII (better video, wifi, focus bracketing, faster shutter, silent shutter, and more) would be worth the extra money to me, especially if a refurb deal on a mkII is available. However your situation may be different, and there is certainly a very good argument to be made for spending the $ on lenses vs. bodies.

18. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Hmm.......such a pain picking stuff lol.

19. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    You know I think leaving the expensive 40-150 off is a good idea, for one I should likely leave some budget for extra batteries (or the grip) and some filters, bag to carry all this stuff in etc.

20. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I love my EM5 ii + 12-40.