Thinking of getting rid of my EM1's... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gryphon1911, Feb 11, 2017.

1. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Well, to be fair I was talking about the "DSLRs like the D500" in my post (I didn't say all DSLRs) and this thread is about him thinking of changing from M43 to a D500 - so it's all about the context.

Let's not fall out over some nuance stuff :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Agreed, note to self, must stay away from the other forum, it makes me crabby :)

3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Double your lens coverage with Metabones. Good for travel so you can use same lens for both cameras.

4. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    I wonder why someone would buy all that equipment and sell it all because of hockey games? In my opinion it is not just CAF problems that make the media not optimum. What you really need for optimum sports photography is a full frame and a high speed telephoto. To get narrow depth of field and you can truly get in close with facial expressions,geometric contortions of players seen at high shutter speed. M 43 is not and never will be the preferred media for sports action photography. Your equipment will be massive and you won't want to take it on a Sunday afternoon walk. I would at least keep the EM-1 mkll,so as not to take such a financial beating. And keep some fast primes. Don't just settle for the kit lens.

5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    This really says it all.

If I was worried about the ability of my equipment to deliver results that would maintain my income, then the obvious - and only practical - solution is to get equipment that's better suited.

I really don't enjoy the subjective experience of using a D/SLR anymore, but fortunately no one is paying me for my images, so I can stick to film rangefinders (be they 35mm or MF) and mirrorless cameras, since there are no strings attached.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It wasn't "all because of a hockey game"...the hockey game was the "straw that broke the camels back". I've been struggling with this for some time and given what i shoot - I really wanted the m43 gear to take front seat. For most things it can, but for sports and weddings, it falls short, makes my job more difficult.

I've been running EM1.1 and EM1.2 for years with the 12-40 and 40-150 PRO lenses and all the fast primes....so I'm not making decisions on running something with kit lenses.
    I've no problem taking the PENF I am keeping on every day carry....but I also take the Nikon Df with me. Size is not an issue for me, might be for some.

We will also need to disagree regarding m43 not being optimal for sports photography. I find the only thing that it is lacking in right now is the AF performance in low light where I need it the most. problem is, that m43 may not ever solve that problem or it might be another 3-5 years until Olympus gets it right in an EM1 mark III....I'm not willing to wait that long. I've given them plenty of years to get where I needed it. It's just not working out. I love m43, especially Olympus' implementation of it - just not for my professional use. I gave them more than the "college try".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    Low light is probably the key. I am finding that my new EM-1 Mk II is just nailing the heck out of BIF. I fear that the sensor size of M-43 may eventually present a tech barrier to low light performance. It has proven so so far.

8. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    BIF is not one of the things that I do, so that metric is not something I consider, although I know that some do. For most things, I'm fine with the m43 sensors up to ISO 6400, especially street shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Off topic, but I reckon the PenF and DF would make a very classy and classic looking duo!

*heads over to the camera po.rn thread to see if Andrew has already posted such a pic. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    If 80% of your keepers were from the D500, then it did four times better than your EM1. I can't say I see any discussion to be had if your goal is to get the best shots in the most efficient way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Would love it if you shared your settings, tips and techniques. My E-M1 and I have not fully clicked for BIF. I tend to reach for one of my Nikon bodies when I am specifically shooting BIF, but still want to work on my technique with the Oly.

Thanks,

--Ken

12. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Oh, my....they do! They do!! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    In general the bird needs to be in the sky without lot of stuff in the background and sufficiently close. A dot in the sky flying in front of trees will not work.Big water birds work best.I don't use high frame rate,because I don't want to edit a hundred frames. I have had good luck with my EM-5 II with SAF because it will acquire focus very rapidly. Focus by half press with bird in focal box and fully press instantly. Works shooting out the window of a car and gives surprisingly good results for scenery,houses,boats and big animals. I have not messed with CAF on EM-5.

On EM1 MkII, I still just take one shot at a time. Put on CAF and enlarge the focal box so it covers several center squares ,not just one square. Hold shutter half down and point at bird. The bird will actuate one or more squares . Fire repeatedly and many pictures will be in focus. I have tried using CAF for everything but it will lock on stuff that you don't want. Cut back to just one square to cure that.

I have used Canon with big lenses for BIF. It is no picnic. You have thermals at low angles and it is hard to get good focus. The background interferes. It is hard to acquire your subject. You need tripod and heavy equipment. I use back button focus for best results.I keep hearing people crying the blues and blaming M-43 cameras with bad CAF. I really don't know what they are talking about. It is never easy for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    If you really want to get rid of your E-M1s, I'll happily take them. Can I send you my address?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Sure, I'll give you my paypal address and ship them out as soon as I receive sufficient payment! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Koru

Koru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    For several reasons I decided not to buy the E-M1 II in December, in spite of using the E-M1 since its inception. I bought a D500 instead.
    I have been using the D500 exclusively since. I like the body, love the transition from highlights to shadows and the ability to shoot in very low light, and pull detail from the shadows when needed. It gives me total confidence, both physically and in image capability.
    No need to mention AF for fast subjects, it has all been said.
    However, the other day I pulled out the E-M1, put on the 40-150 pro and really, really enjoyed the experience. A beautiful combination.
    Luckily I am not a pro, and can use what I want, when I want, and have decided I will not be selling my Olympus gear. Might even get an E-M1 II in time. Probably will.
    Horses for courses and different magic in both.
    Cheers,
    Don

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    For some reason this makes me picture two hot super models slung on each arm like a boss! Haha

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Everyone should be packing a Supermodel on each arm. Im sure mine will arrive at some stage. Wont they?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    This is 2017 and you should qualify that "Supermodel" statement as either Male or Female.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    Do not sell your 40-150 F2.8.When you get your new EMi MkII you will be very pleased.