Thinking of getting rid of my EM1's... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gryphon1911, Feb 11, 2017.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    So, I've had a few days to think about this, I'm a hair's breadth away from selling my EM1.1, EM1.2 and PRO lenses.

I think the hockey shooting was the wake up call. When I looked at what came from both systems, the Nikon was the clear winner. I've about 80 "keepers" from both cameras combined and 80% were from the Nikon.

I was hoping and praying that the Olympus system would at least match Nikon, but that is sadly not the case. The gap has lessened, but that is about it. I'm sure it is a bit unfair on done levels to compare the Nikon D500 to the Oly EM1.2, But we are talking the very best of one system to the #2 of another.

I'm trying to find a good reason to justify keeping the m43, and I will keep the PENF and some smaller kit lenses for.my personal use.

Really the only thing that I'd miss is something on the long end, and I've got a good line on a used Nikon 200-500/5.6 that could fill that void.

Other than that, I might be missing the video end, but the D500 can do 4k.

I know this is my decision, but I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone could think of any other reasons that I have not considered and should before making the sale.

Thanks in advance.

2. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Do what makes you happy man. Everyone has different needs for their shooting style, I chose M43 for the portability and Olympus' IBIS. I don't shoot fast moving subjects so I can't comment on the focusing but for stationary subjects it is good enough for what I need. And besides, it looks like you aren't completely giving up on the system since you are still keeping the Pen F and some lenses :).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    You have to buy whatever actually meets your needs. If its sports, get a rig for sports. No problem with that at all. Perfectly logical.

If its still life etc, check out the AussiePhil thread in "other genres" and decide if the Nikons can do 2 second handheld exposures.

Keeping the PenF allows you to retain the strengths of both systems. Selling the em1 and pro gear gives you funds for a low light indoor sports setup if that's what you need.

Its all good. Life is too short to not do what you wish if you can.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    The D500 is of course going to beat the E-M1 at that type of photography as will the lenses that feed the Nikon system. The only reason to stay with Olympus and which is an important factor to a lot of people, is size, the Nikon will of course loose that battle hands down. But if that's not an issue then yes, it's the D500 every time. The main thing that would make me hesitate is the probability of Nikon replacing the D500 with a new version later this year. Why not get more familiar with he E-M1 II in the meantime, mastering how to work around the things you don't like then make another call when the new Nikon gets released?

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Uhh..., what makes you think Nikon would release a D500 successor this year? It's hands-down the best crop sensor camera for sports, and even rivals the D5 and 1DX2. There is zero reason for Nikon to update it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've no fear of Nikon replacing the D500 anytime soon. I got a Nikon D300 day of release and just sold it 2 months ago. I have no problems holding on to the D500 for that long or longer.

While not m43 small, I do have a Nikon Df, which is the smallest FX camera Nikon makes. That works for me. I like putting some sharp legacy lenses on there and running it.

The bulk of my pro shooting is hi iso, low light, sports and events. I could spend more time trying to figure out how to make the EM1.2 shoot better or I could spend that time getting good shots with the D500. My confidence is not there with the EM1.2 like it is with the D500. I then have to think about the weddings that I've shot in the past and the issues I've had to overcome with the Olympus gear. For me, the point of getting this gear was supposed to make my shooting easier and not give me new ways of trying to work around limitations I didn't have before.

From a personal shooting standpoint, though I'm more than satisfied with m43.

All...this is a great conversation...I appreciate all the contributions so far. It's continuing to make me think.

7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I know, it is supreme for sure, I'm just pondering whether Nikon will release, not an update of the D500, but another FF camera with it's capabilities, like a D750 replacement? That and the size issue is about the only reason I can think of for not getting the D500 at this time.

8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    A full-frame D500? That camera already exists. It's called the D5.

9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Em1 will net you between 450-550. The em1ii you probably could sell for 1800. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

10. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Gryph. Your last post says it all. If you are fighting the system and you dont want to have to then whats the point? (i dont mind trying to find ways to make cheaper and smaller get the job done. Its a challenge. But the Oly pro gear isnt really cheaper now, which i guess is the issue). Put it this way - if i was paid for weddings or sports (no idea if you are), id use whatever was needed to do the job properly. Of course, that varies for everyone.

Summary:

Keep m4/3 for your personal, enjoyment photography.

Get an IQ / ISO system for more critical use if it aids in getting the results YOU want (or need) without unnecessary stress.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    The mk1 improved dramatically in that regard over it's lifespan, I'd assume that the mk2 will too. How soon? Who knows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Having come this far, consider waiting for the rumored FW update for cp+.

Otherwise, understand the issue. I deliberately haven't tried a d500 :).

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Let's wait and see what happens this year. May make more sense then.

14. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I have an EM1 (my second) and regularly shoot Motorsports.
    I have shot 1000s of images at various events including MotoGP, Speedway, Touring Car Racing etc
    Out of all of those 1000s of shots I have obtained only a handful that I am extremely pleased with, a few more that I was very happy with and 1000s that were mediocre or at worst unusable and fit only for the recycle bin !
    But (perhaps perversely) I get more satisfaction from the very few really good images I achieve because the camera I use is limited in its abilities to achieve what I want than I would if I knew that every shot I took would result in success
    I get a huge sense of achievement when I scroll through my images after an event and find one that really stands out which I don't think I would get if I had a camera which made capturing such images easier
    One of my Speedway shots is currently doing very well indeed in a competition between my own and other camera clubs around the Southern Counties of England scoring 10/10 in four out of 5 rounds and 9.5/10 in the other with 3 rounds to go !
    This is an image competing against others taken with equipment costing far more from people with sometimes far more experience
    The fact that my image was taken with my 'lowly' M43 camera with its comparatively poor CAF performance only serves to make me happier with the image and the results it is getting
    Using the EM1 presents me with an ongoing challenge whereby I have to continually strive to try harder and to learn techniques which will render better images with more experience
    My Motorsports thread on M43 hopefully demonstrates that I am getting gradually better at achieving good results having been trying and practicing for a couple of years !
    Although I would like to get an EM1 Mk2 I cannot justify the cost at the moment but no doubt will get one in a year or so when more affordable used or discounted new examples are freely available, but at that time there will no doubt be better options available and I will still be happy with the success rate I achieve with an 'inferior' camera
    The D500 vs Olympus M43 debate for me is a case of instant gratification vs hard work and the really great sense of achievement you get when you use something which requires more practice and work
    Of course none of the above is relevant to a Professional user and my comments are not aimed at the OP or other Pro users but I just wanted to add my own personal feelings about my own experience which some might agree with especially those that 'only' shoot for the rewards of a hobby
    Regards
    Rob

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    This is the key and you have already summed it up... the Nikon works for you.... if you need to fund the swap by selling off then it makes sense to do so.

For the sake of others that will read this the Key words --- HI ISO --- LOW LIGHT -- (my word) ACTION SPORTS .... yep the EM1.2 is not there yet... even i'll say that but for anything with some light hell it's a hard camera to beat.... now if someone would loan me a D500 to play with..... :)

I was out this morning shooting the local "Colour Run" event and the Pro that was beside me was awestruck at the 18fps CAF performance over the 5fps of his Nikon D8xx but that is just one small part of the overall package.

Cheers and good luck with whatever the decision.

• Like Like x 3
  16. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    I really wouldn't ponder over it that much, the D500 is ideal for what you want to do. So keep it. The Pen F is ideal for your personal stuff. So keep it. Everything else is just equipment that's devaluating over time the longer you keep it without you earning value from it.
    Do you see anything about the EM1.2 that would have you favour it over your Pen F for personal use? Is there any reason you would favor the EM1.2 over the D500 if it matched the focus performance, as unlikely as that is? If the answer is no to either of those sell it and invest the money elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I like the fact that m43 allows me to shoot all the primes and zooms wide open, which mitigates the need to ramp up the ISO a ton. The IBIS is nice too for video, but I can use my steadycam and the D500, which also shoots 4k video.

IF, and this is a big IF, the EM1.2 AF performance matched the D500, that would make selling the EM1.2 a lot harder. The higher FPS on the EM1.2 is nice, but if the frames are not in focus, that negates the advantage. I'd rather have 10 nikon frames in focus than 18-60 frames that are 80%.

18. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Well the D500 is a tank compared to my little EM5ii and I guess the EM1ii is only a little bigger. But if the D500 does what you want and you don't mind the size/weight then it is a no-brainer.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If it has not already been quoted enough, I'll open my post with it. You said it all quite clearly. My only advice would be to consider keeping one E-M1. It is a different experience than shooting with the PEN or the Nikon, and as a D300 lover, I have to say that it rates up there near the D300. It is a pleasure to hold and use as a camera body, and with the 12-40, makes a great small package that can be carried and used all day long (with a spare battery or two).

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 2
  20. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    Hi Andrew,

You and I go back a long way on these internet sites, so I was a bit stunned to read your post, but I surely understand. There's no question that full frame Nikons can knock the socks off of most other camera systems used by pros these days. Even I am reluctant to sell my Df and arsenal of lenses although I don't use them much these days, but I'm not a pro like you. To his last days, my father, also a pro, kept and used his 4x5 view camera. You have to do what you have to do, so do it. I'm not sure that the DX format of the D500 does it, but you would know better than I. Certainly DX has come a long way since the days of the D2x and the D200.

Just keep posting great shots like the ones that you did in your hockey thread, and keep making money to feed your family.

Don

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1