1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thinking of buying camera for concerts

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by memzinla, Mar 28, 2014.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello. I've been thinking about buying a small camera for concerts. I just bought a Sony RX100 to use for concerts when cameras are allowed, and use an E-M5 for everything else. I've had good and bad luck when it comes to cameras. I've been able to sneak in my sister's old EPL2 to some concerts, but one time I wasn't able to sneak it in because of the removable lens.

I see that the Olympus EPM2 is 300 with 2 lenses for 300! I could sell the RX100, and have roughly around 100 dollars extra, and I could sell the 14-42mm lens, so have some extra money. I currently have the 14mm pancake lens, and have been wanting the 40-150mm lens.

WOuld the EPM2 be easier to sneak in? Has anyone sneaked it in into a concert? Would you just keep the Sony?

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    If you couldn't sneak the E-PL2 in, you won't be able to sneak the E-PM2 in. The RX100 would likely be a lot easier.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's not so much the camera as the lens + camera combo. I've been able to bring Gx1 with 14 or 20 attached, but not with longer lenses. All depends on how thoroughly security decides to frisk you or search your bag. If not too thoroughly, you can put the longer lenses in your bag. So, Epm will probably be fine.

4. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm. The times I've been caught the removable lens was their excuse. I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you for the replies. :D

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Yes, I think that is the current rule in most venues. However in my experience, a small m43 like GX1 with small lens attached and no accessories will be thought of as a point and shoot. One of the times I was forced to check camera in , I did have the 20mm attached. However, I also had a bag of lenses in my bag :smile: After a few moments fondling the outside of my bag, the security guard asked if I have more lenses and that was that. I have a feeling that if it was just the camera plus 20mm I would have been ok.
    How is the RX100 btw? I considered it for the same purpose before going with LX7. Is it bright enough on the long end to get decent shutter speeds?

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Unfortunately, small is the name of the game if you want to get by security at concerts. The good news is, you really don't need that fast a lens. Sure, the arena or concert hall is dark but it's usually pretty bright on stage. Some suggestions: Panasonic LF1, which has a 28-200mm, f/2.0-5.9 zoom, a 1/1.7" sensor and a low-res EVF. The camera is smaller than a Sony RX100. You might also want to check out the Olympus Stylus 1 with a 28-300mm, f/2.8 constant aperture lens, a 1/1.7" sensor and a very good EVF. When the camera is powered down and the lens is collapsed into the body, it is jacket pocketable. Or maybe a Pansonic ZS30 superzoom, which is smaller than the Oly and has a 24-480mm zoom range but a slower f/3.3-6.4 aperture. The sensor, of course, is a small 1/2.3" affair. I prefer EVFs at concerts because one can turn off the rear LCD and not draw attention to one's self. And check out this link:

http://rocksubculture.com/2014/01/1...our-thirds-point-dslr-vs-mirrorless-settings/

• Like Like x 1
  7. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I've taken my Canon G16 to a couple of concerts and worked quite well. It has a fast lens, 2.8 at the long end. A very basic viewfinder....but it works. Not bad for $450.00.

8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Lens in one pocket PM2 with BCL in the other? They'll never know!

9. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I must have bad luck. :/ They always tell me to take out what I have from my pockets, and one time a guy wanted to keep my RX100 when regular cameras were allowed!

Thank you for the tips/link Biro. I gasped when I saw a picture of Gwen Stefani. I went to that concert. :D

DL photo, do you have concert pictures taken with the G16?

tjdean01 I have bad luck. :(

Steven I think the RX100 is such a great camera. I always buy it for concerts, and end up selling it because there are periods when I don't go to any concert because the bands/singers I like don't come to Los Angeles. It's always put away because I use my E-M5 the most.

Steven I think the RX100 is such a great camera. I always buy it for concerts, and end up selling it because there are periods when I don't go to any concert because the bands/singers I like don't come to Los Angeles. It's always put away because I use my E-M5 the most. The RX100 has given me great results with concerts. Here are some of my favorites:

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/memo90061/8178118983" title="JotDog by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr"> 8178118983_3c0e8a7c75_c. "800" height="800" alt="JotDog"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/memo90061/8200961691" title="Poncho de Moenia by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr"> 8200961691_1bc34eec6c_c. "800" height="800" alt="Poncho de Moenia"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/memo90061/8192479266" title="Belanova by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr"> 8192479266_3bbbf9b69e_b. "683" height="1024" alt="Belanova"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/memo90061/8275593698" title="I've had it up to here! by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr"> 8275593698_391cb5d9bb_b. "683" height="1024" alt="I've had it up to here!"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/memo90061/8275869780" title="PeeWee by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr"> 8275869780_4ea4454e8c_b. "1024" height="683" alt="PeeWee"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/memo90061/8275820289" title="Gloria Trevi by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr"> 8275820289_c4086467db_b. "683" height="1024" alt="Gloria Trevi"></a>

I must have bad luck. :/ They always tell me to take out what I have from my pockets, and one time a guy wanted to keep my RX100 when regular cameras were allowed!

Thank you for the tips/link Biro. I gasped when I saw a picture of Gwen Stefani. I went to that concert. :D

DL photo, do you have concert pictures taken with the G16?

tjdean01 I have bad luck. :(

• Like Like x 2
  10. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    I suggest wearing black cargo pants and putting the camera in the lower pocket on the left and the other lens in the other pocket. I never get frisked with my E-PL5 and 40-150.

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    That does not work if you are getting frisked . Depends on what kind of concerts you go to I guess :)

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Depends on the lighting setup and preference of musicians I guess but most places I ve been to I am barely getting by with bright primes . I can't imagine trying with dim lenses and smaller sensors.

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wow memzinla, those look really good. I am trying to remember why exactly I got Lx7 instead of Rx100 as the get in anywhere concert camera. I think it was a combination of lower price, compatibility with viewfinder which I already have , and good microphones that don't break down in loud settings unlike Rx100.

14. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Years ago, and I do mean years ago, about 1984 or so, I worked security at a Beach Boys concert at my college. Now the Beach Boys were already well past boys and into grandfather age by then, but that didn't stop some college girls from throwing things on the stage. I was a decent sized guy at the time and so I was working center stage between the front row and the stage. We were told the crowd could take pictures for the first three songs but none after that. I don't know why, seems like a silly rule, but that was the rule. It was announced before the beginning of the concert. Well, of course there was one guy who continued taking pictures. I told him three different times that he had to stop taking pictures. I really didn't want to hassle anybody, but it was my job to enforce the band's rules. So, after the third time and I turned my back to walk back to my position, I see the flash go off again over my head. So I turned and took the camera away from him and turned to walk toward a police officer to give it to him to hold onto until after the concert was over. Before I made it halfway there, the guy had come out of the seats and jumped my from behind. He was basically riding on my back with his legs wrapped around me and his fingers up my nose trying to separate it from my face. I walked like that to the police officer, with the guy on my back and handed him the camera, which was just a cheap instamatic style camera. A couple of other security guards peeled the guy off my back and pinned the guy to the ground. He began screaming and the police officer told them to let him go. They did and he jumped up and shoved the police officer. The officer grabbed him and pushed him out a door and shut him outside. I don't know if he ever got his camera back, but I was told his arm was broken at some point in the incident. All of this at a lame Beach Boys concert.

So, I ask you, how bad do you want to take pictures at a venue when you have been asked not to?

I quit working security btw, I just never enjoyed being the buzzkill at the concerts.

• Like Like x 2
  15. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    There is no joy in messing around and trying to bend/break the rules. There are plenty of free shows and many blues bars or other smaller more intimate venues where they allow you to take all the pictures you want. I would not risk getting in an altercation and possibly losing my camera just to get some shots of celebrity or two :tongue:

16. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    All these rules don't really apply anymore , at least logically , with people waving their giant screen cellphones and even IPads in the air. Much more disruptive than a small m43 cam IMHO .
    I've only heard of the first 3 songs rule for pro photog s in the pit. Never for paying public. Would be kind of hard to enforce , but I like the idea. But again , with the damn cellphones these days, half the attendees would have to be thrown out :)

17. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don't disagree, but you are plainly stating you looking for a camera to sneak in. If you are having to sneak it in, it sounds like they don't want you taking pictures with it. Hey, I don't care how many pictures you take. I really don't see why the band would either, as your photos are publicity of some sort for them. But if they don't want you to take photos, they don't want you to take photos. Seems simple to me. I sure wouldn't want to be asked to leave a concert because I was taking photos. And for the record, I have taken photos at concerts, not as good as yours, but I have taken photos, but I never sneaked around to do it.

18. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you Steven! :)

I did try the Canon S110 because of the price, but I wasn't happy with the results from that camera. :(

With me I want to take pictures that bad if I sneak in a camera. :p I know it's dumb, but I just looooove having at least a couple of photos from the concerts of bands/atists I LOVE. I'm a huge music fan, and I just have this amazing feeling when taking pictures of my favorite artists. I feel like I can't even enjoy the concert if I don't have any pictures I like. I don't like taking pictures with my iPhone because I'm not happy with the quality. I wouldn't sneak in a camera if I ended up hurting people. I just think it's dumb that cameras aren't allowed, but huge smartphones or tablets are ok. They are bigger than a camera. I always thought professional cameras weren't allowed because the band probably thought you would make money off of them?

19. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    You posted some nice shots. You should reach out to a music magazine or website and offer your services. If they are interested, they might be able to score you a press pass for some of these concerts. Problem solved without having to buy a new camera!

• Like Like x 1
  20. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you. :) That would be nice!! :) I'd love to take pictures with my E-M5.