1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thinking of buying a used GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jrworthy, Nov 16, 2012.

1. jrworthy

jrworthy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    Washington DC
    I currently own an Olympus EM-D but I am thinking of picking up a used GH2 for video.

As Panasonic shooters, GH2 specifically, are there any pitfalls I should look out for when purchasing a used model? Also, are there any questions I should ask the seller before agreeing to make the purchase?

Also, one last question, what price range would you consider to be fair for a used GH2? I have looked at Adorama and B&H for their prices but since I may be going down the route of a private seller I figure it would be fair to offer a little less than what they offer.

Thanks!

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have a GH2 for 2 years now. Can't really think of any weak spots to look at specifically. You'll want to check for any dirt on the sensor by taking a picture of a white wall at f/11; no need for a fast shutter speed, moving the camera is actually better. The picture should be clean, period, otherwise the sensor is in for a clean. Not difficult if you dare yourself, something to negotiate about price-wise.

Of course you'll want to ask for (a rough estimate of) the shutter count; if it's over 10k that's not really a problem but again something to haggle about the price maybe.

Both my GH2 (Dec. 2010) and G1 (July 2008) didn't give me any problems nor suspicions about weak spots.

Can't say anything sensible about American prices; here in Europe I'd expect to fetch around 500 euros for my GH2 at the moment. I don't think prices will plummet after the GH3 is on the market, because the GH3 is so much more expensive.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Ask specifically about the integrity of the articulated screen casing. It's not the sturdiest design and I've seen minor cracking in a few well-used models.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Amazon has the GH2 body at $592 and that's with a return policy. So definitely don't go above $550.