Thinking of adding a G1 to my kit.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bilzmale, Apr 6, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I shouldn't really :rolleyes: but I think I'd enjoy adding a used G1 body to my kit. I like the E-P2 and will use it for video and when size is an issue but I miss having a bit more to hang on to plus built in EVF, articulated LCD and built in flash.

I'm unfamiliar with the Pana lineup but it seems from reading that the newer models added video and reduced the size with IQ being the same.

Are my assumptions correct? I'd appreciate feedback from G1 users particularly if you have E-Px experience as well. G1 sellers are welcome to chime in although I might do better to wait until the G2 is released putting more G1s on the market.
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill,

one of the main advantages of the G1, as well as the value for money, seems to be the kit lens which has an OIS control switch on the barrel and has a greater range. I don't know whether the 14-45mm has been discontinued?

The G1 is really excellent for use on a tripod too... the articulating lcd is invaluable for composing from any angle.

I don't know for sure, but the new models seem to focus on adding video and touch screen features rather than any great improvements in image quality - so a 2nd hand G1 would make a lot of sense if you don't need those features.

Personally, the E-PL1 makes more sense as a backup m4/3rds body with flash capability - due to the IBIS for legacy lenses and improved grip.

• Like Like x 1
  3. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    The EVF on the G1 is one of the reasons I bought one. It's a standard for other camera EVFs to try to reach.
  4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    It would be interesting to know whether the EVF on the G2 has been improved since the G1?

I think the E-P2/PL1 EVF is the best I've used - would love to see a rangefinder shaped m4/3rds cam with that EVF included.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't have E-Px experience, but I am a G1 user. I like to use the EVF 90% of the time, so an integrated EVF is more appealing to me than an add-on EVF. I can't compare it to the E-P2 EVF, but I've been extremely happy with the G1 EVF.

You are correct that neither the G2 nor the G10 is being touted as having better IQ than the G1. All of those cameras have the same sensor as your E-P2, so IQ should be nearly the same as what you have now if you are shooting RAW and processing in something other than Olympus' software.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Do it for the grip... if anything else LOL.

Just do it. You will like it. Much better at hoisting adaptive lenses than the smaller bodies.

I love mine. Just throwing some Rokkor X's on it tonight (the coupler from Hong Kong finally arrived) and I cannot imagine that kind of forward weight on a smaller frame. Now for some of those lovely fast, cheap Hexanons..... oh what fun!

I look forward to the good news from you bilz.

Bokeh D
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks guys - got my eye on a used body on eBay. Will let you know how I go.