1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thinking G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by noelh, Apr 19, 2011.

1. A factor in choosing the GF1 over the G1 was bulk. Turns out I'm using the LVF-1 under all but low light conditions. So much for the bulk factor. With the G1 like the GF-1 a d/c model the time factor for ever owning one kicks in.

Seem like a number of people use both bodies. For those users when size is not an issue is the G1 your primary camera? The reviews noted that the EVF on the G1 is one of the better units available. If the real world resolution is significantly superior to the LVF-1, I would consider the G1. Is it? Have not touched a G1, but the ergonomics seem to be what I prefer. Old school. Dislike the touchscreen trend. Like dials & control buttons/levers. No need or desire for video, SCN, iA or even P modes. Probably off the radar of the marketing people at Pany.

2. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    The G1 is my primary camera. Yes, the EVF in the G1 is significantly superior to the LVF-1. Panasonic got a lot right in the G1 on their first try at a Mu-43 camera.

3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi Noel,

I have both the G1 and GF1 but not the LVF-1, so I can't directly compare the viewfinder aspect. I am using the G1 significantly more than the GF1 , the built in viewfinder is good and allows fine judgement of manual focusing when using lenses such as my 4/3 mount 50-200mm, f/2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital (4/3 fitting) where given that it is used on a tripod and with its f/3.5 aperture at 200mm I can judge manual focusing very well.
    I'm currently using a borrowed 100-300mm Panasonic lens where, with its f/5.6 aperture at 300mm I'm struggling to judge manual focus, but thankfully auto focus gets it right a significant amount of the time.
    The GF1 tends to be used with 12mm and 15mm Voigtlander lenses for landscape photography using the lcd screen for framing purposes and lens scales for focusing.
    So yes the G1 is a good 'ne, and like you I like its relative simplicity with fewer unnecessary gizmos.

Barrie

4. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I got the GF1 first, then the G1 and loved it. I also have the LV1 and yes the resolution on the G1 EVF is significantly better, but the LV1 is fine for composition and seeing in bright light situations with the GF1.

I find myself mostly using the G1 and with the zooms. I have the prime lenses with the GF1. I suspect that I will use the GF1 and whatever lens, like the 14, for walks in the woods or with the 20 in a city. But I do reach for the G1 most and at times I wonder why I have the GF1, though it is perfect for when you want the smallest possible kit.

5. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    EVF of G1 is perfectly usable. Ergonomics-excellent. If you do not want video, go for it.

6. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Have owned a G1 since they started. Obtained a GF1 recently but have now sold it. The LVF for the GF1 is very poor compared with the G1 finder. With the G1 you never have problems in bright light. Take the photo using the EVF then playback in the EVF to check what you have, great stuff !! The G1 was brilliant from day one, and still is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    G1 still an excellent choice

I have the G1 and cannot change it due to there being nothing worthy in the 4/3 line to tempt me save for the GH2...but I don't have a use for Video so I am hoping that there is a G3 with high iso capabilities like the GH2.

The EVF is the best along with all of the manual controls saving ducking in and out of the menu.

All Panasonic need to do is put a bigger sensor in period.

8. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

G1 or GF1

Well I started with a G1, liked it and thought I needed a GF1 as well. I prefer the G1, as I don't do video and use the GF1 predominately with the 20mm lens because of its size and weight. I find the viewfinder of the G1 a better option is bright light. I'm happy with both.
    DUD

9. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    With E-P2 and 20mm I prefer the minute Sigma VF-21 brightline optical finder. I don't use the EVF with this lens. Shown here on E-P1 Table-gtripod.
    Funny how many brands are combined here. I guess I'm not committed to any.

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I was attracted to the GF1 and it became my first MFT. However, I found the lack of a viewfinder frustrating at times, so next came the LVF1. Bit of a PITA to carry and mount, with so-so quality. Then found I could buy a used G1 cheaply and that solved the viewfinder problem. But I wanted the option to shoot some video and I liked the rear wheel placement of the GF1. Final answer - for now - is a G2. It won't totally replace the GF1, but it does fit in my sling bag so carrying it in place of the GF1 is not a big deal.

Gotta love the options, particularly if you're willing to buy used gear that's not the latest model...

11. Rob1975

Rob1975 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2010
    I have both the G1 and the e-p1. I find that the IQ on the G1 is lacking compared to the Oly, especially at the higher ISOs. Can someone who has shots taken with the G1 in RAW at ISO 1250 post a few for me to look at? I'm considering selling the G1, although I really wanted to use the EVF for my mf lenses...

12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Still own both. GF1 / G1

I started with an Ep1 and the Gf1 with EVF.

Knowing I would choose between bodies after using them for several weeks, after which I would purchase a second body to go along with my preferred choice.

I liked the rock hard feel of the GF1, not to mention it was so very close to my early days using a rangefinder, and the Ui was more to my personal taste.

The Oly OOC JPEG quality (awesome) was never an issue as I shoot RAW anyhow.

I bought the G1 as my second body as the prices were great, and I didn't need video from a second camera. ( I don't think I need it at all) I find my GF1 most always has the 20mm stuck on the front, and comes into play more often for my legacy lenses.

The G1 carries the ยต43 system lenses, has a really wonderful EVF, and articulating rear LCD. It just feels better in my hands with longer focal lengths. Also, my G1, despite every effort will not "zoom to manual focus" by depressing the thumb wheel, I need to hit the left nav button, then back to center... explains my preference of the GF1 for legacy glass.

I really like my G1, though more and more frequently, I have to rescue it from my wife... which is another indicator that it's an easier body to use as she's as new as noobies get..and she just always grabs for the G1 even when she beats me to the Crumpler...

I'll never sell the GF1, it's too reminiscent of the old days for me. That said, if I were a younger man, never having owned a rangefinder, I'd be happier with the G1/G2 / GH series... a more familiar style, great EVF easy to hang onto for my large hands too.

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for the feedback.

Overall content with the GF1. Find with the 20mm & no LVF-1 it's the right size to "pocket" & take almost everywhere. Nice to have a camera capable of decent images available for the unplanned subject that pop up.

Need to upgrade the computer hardware & invest in some form processing software before another camera body is added to the kit. But if a hot deal comes along for either a G1 or G2 body... Right now depleted funds and the prices are bit more too high.

14. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I'm with G1 for about 6 months now and don't feel the need of another body. Considering that most of time I use manual lenses and most of time get focus using the EVF, I can say it is REALLY useful, at least for me. Sometimes I don't even need the EVF magnification to get critical focus with my faster lenses. On the other hand, I have only the Fresnel split screens of my 35mm SLRs to compare with.

15. yjhuoh

yjhuoh New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2011
    where are they selling G1's? the G2 has been out for a while now, and the G3 isn't that far away.

16. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I use the G1 and in the past have considered the GF1, but there isn't really a huge size difference, its only the evf housing and the grip that adds mass. I carry the G1 by the grip with wrist strap so its perfect for me, and I really wouldn't want to be without the evf.
    You can fit the G1 with the 20mm inside a large coat pocket to.

17. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Oh I bought mine quite some time ago....

18. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

you'll find plenty on EBay, both new and used.
    Prices seem to have gone up, however, since I bought one for my wife :redface:

C U,
    Rafael

19. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    I've had a G1 since they came out and the GF1 about 18 mos and ordered the aux EVF immediately. I knew I wouldn't use it much without and it stays on the camera. I prefer the G1 for most shooting though. The EVF is superior and I shoot a lot with MF lenses so that's important but I can certainly use the GF1's EVF adequately for MF. I prefer the tilt LCD of the G1 for tripod shooting or strange/difficult situations. I also prefer the G1's ergonomics except for the one button push for MF of the GF1 altho' I do a thumb roll from left button to okay button for MF on the G1 and that'e become quite automatic for me to the point I do it on the GF1 also.

I'm expecting to upgrade and am waiting to see what the G3 offers before deciding between it and the GH2 for improved sensor. However, I am not that unhappy with the G1 and mostly shoot with it instead of my 5D.

The 20 mostly stays on the GF1 and gets picked up And dropped in my handbag or into a bag aae second body. I would never choose it as my only m4/3 body but npt sorry I bought it BUT I won't replace it whereas I will upgrade the G1.

Diane

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Actually the G1 is my primary camera and size is an issue although I'm a special case since I abhor camera bags and all my stuff goes in my leather 'sack' nestled within various wooly hats.
    Most of the time that's my G1 with manual lens in one hat and in the 'sack'.
    If size is more of an issue I tend to use my e-410 & manual lens which is actually a smaller form in terms of coat-pocketing the shape.
    There is not yet a camera made which would suit my needs perfectly ... bring on the rumours!