Thinking about trading my 35-100 for 14-140

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MadProphet, Nov 26, 2013.

1. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

I've got a couple 1.x primes, so subject isolation and low-light is pretty well covered. The better - or perhaps greater - range is more attractive to me than the 2.8. On the new version of the 14-140 the image quality looks purty darn good.

Anyone use both and have an opinion? It would be my general walk-around.

Sent from my fortress in the Foothills

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I haven't owned or used the new 14-140, but I did own and use the first version a lot. The IQ difference between the two was very significant. I doubt the new version of the 14-140 has closed the gap enough that it could replace the 35-100 in terms of IQ. It's a trade-off between IQ and range.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Same here. I had the old 14-140 and it's a fantastic "all in one" focal range, BUT, the quality wasn't in the same league as the 12-35 and 35-100 zooms. Don't get me wrong - if you just really need/want the range, the 14-140 is optically just fine considering it's a 10x slowish zoom.

I just also know that for me personally, I don't think I can go back to the superzoom quality after getting used to the 35-100. Your mileage may vary, depending on how much of a stickler you are for IQ. For whatever it's worth, I'm not one to go over corners with a microscope or nitpick every flaw of a lens; I'm inclined to mostly notice center sharpness and ability to crop or zoom without losing details to mush. There's a significant jump between any of the 'consumer' zooms and the f/2.8 Panasonic zooms, but of course the trade off here is having a 10x zoom in one solid lens.

4. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I suppose if you don't need the 35-100, why not. I only keep mine around because I need it.

5. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the feedback. I'm keeping it.

Sent from my fortress in the Foothills

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You said it better than I could, as usual. :wink: I kept my 14-140 for a LONG time after I got the 35-100 - I really liked it and didn't want to lose the versatility. But I realized, looking through my LR catalog, that I actually hadn't used it since I got the 35-100, and that was a wake-up call...I sold it. No regrets - no regrets about selling it and definitely no regrets about the photos I took while I owned it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    for the moment I made a different chioce. Got the 75 rather than the 35 100 and am keeping 14 140

Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.