Thinking about trading my 35-100 for 14-140

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MadProphet, Nov 26, 2013.

1. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

I've got a couple 1.x primes, so subject isolation and low-light is pretty well covered. The better - or perhaps greater - range is more attractive to me than the 2.8. On the new version of the 14-140 the image quality looks purty darn good.

Anyone use both and have an opinion? It would be my general walk-around.

Sent from my fortress in the Foothills
  2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I haven't owned or used the new 14-140, but I did own and use the first version a lot. The IQ difference between the two was very significant. I doubt the new version of the 14-140 has closed the gap enough that it could replace the 35-100 in terms of IQ. It's a trade-off between IQ and range.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Same here. I had the old 14-140 and it's a fantastic "all in one" focal range, BUT, the quality wasn't in the same league as the 12-35 and 35-100 zooms. Don't get me wrong - if you just really need/want the range, the 14-140 is optically just fine considering it's a 10x slowish zoom.

I just also know that for me personally, I don't think I can go back to the superzoom quality after getting used to the 35-100. Your mileage may vary, depending on how much of a stickler you are for IQ. For whatever it's worth, I'm not one to go over corners with a microscope or nitpick every flaw of a lens; I'm inclined to mostly notice center sharpness and ability to crop or zoom without losing details to mush. There's a significant jump between any of the 'consumer' zooms and the f/2.8 Panasonic zooms, but of course the trade off here is having a 10x zoom in one solid lens.
  4. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I suppose if you don't need the 35-100, why not. I only keep mine around because I need it.
  5. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the feedback. I'm keeping it.

Sent from my fortress in the Foothills
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You said it better than I could, as usual. :wink: I kept my 14-140 for a LONG time after I got the 35-100 - I really liked it and didn't want to lose the versatility. But I realized, looking through my LR catalog, that I actually hadn't used it since I got the 35-100, and that was a wake-up call...I sold it. No regrets - no regrets about selling it and definitely no regrets about the photos I took while I owned it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    for the moment I made a different chioce. Got the 75 rather than the 35 100 and am keeping 14 140