Thinking about to get GX-7 ... have few questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ginny, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Ginny

Ginny New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2013
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    Good morning everyone, I am a new member here :smile:

I am about to dump Nikon to m4/3 system, getting tired to carry heavy stuff. I am thinking about to get either GX-7 or EM-1. I really like the look of GX-7 and I just wonder ...

1. How good is GX-7 AF tracking for moving object compare to EM-1 (on m4/3 lenses) or DSLR?
    2. If I get GX-7 with Olympus lenses, will the body fix the CA and Distortion? or I have to do that in Lightroom?
    3. I know that IBIS in GX-7 is not as good as EM-1, but wonder what's the speed you guys can handheld?
    4. I wear eye glasses, wonder if I can see the whole frame in the EVF without taking the glasses off? (this issue won't happen with EM-1 which has bigger EVF)

Thank you in advance ... :biggrin:

2. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    1. Similar
    2.I Wonder that one myself!
    3.Depends what you call sharp. With 7mm lens I can go down to 1 sec.
    4.I doubt you will see the whole frame with your glasses on while its no problem with GX7

YMMV

3. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    3. I managed to go down 1 sec as well with 20mm.
    4. I wear glasses and I can see the whole frame if I shoot 4:3. It's a 16:9 EVF. It crops the image if you shoot in 4:3 or other ratios that aren't wide. But when it uses up the whole screen, there's a slight vignette but nothing serious.

4. mw1

mw1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2012
    I only own the gx7.
    1. haven't seen any demonstrations that the AF-tracking on EM-1 is really superlative. In general the PDAF is most useful for legacy 4/3 glass, and even then the reviews I've read have been very mixed.
    2. I only shoot RAW so I'm not sure CA is ever corrected (and at any rate, only lateral CA is ever corrected). I've read that in the past distortion is corrected but CA is not...
    3. With the PL 25mm f/1.4, my success rate is near 100% at 1/10s.
    4. don't wear glasses, sorry

5. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I believe Panasonic bodies will correct both ca and distortion. You will be able to see the finder just fine with your glasses, however the eyecup is very small and you may want to buy the optional extension (you get a lot of light coming in the sides otherwise). Tracking is poor with most mirrorless cameras, though apparently the EM-1 is better than most.

6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    While I still have my Nikon D7000 and lenses, I haven't used it much since I started m43. The exception is with the 80-200/2.8 or 70-300/3.5-5.6 when I have the Oly 12-35/2.8 on my EM5.

1. I have both the GX7 & EM5. Can't say I've noticed much difference. Does seem worse than my D7000.
    2. Dunno. I shoot raw and do what I need in LR.
    3. I have both the GX7 & EM5. Can't say I've noticed much difference.
    4. I usually wear contacts. When I'm wearing my eyeglasses I find both the GX7 and EM5 a pain, and feel lke I need to move my head to see the entire image in the EVF. Again, I haven't noticed much of a difference. BTW, both EVFs appear bigger than the OVF on the D7000 to me. And the ability to control the brightness of the EVF is great for shooting in low light.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    1. E-M1 can C-AF properly and track. so far it is the ONLY ONE in m4/3rds.
    2. All m4/rds lenses are distortion corrected on all m4/3rds bodies. CA is corrected with Lumix lenses on Lumix bodies. E-M1 purportedly corrects CA with some m4/3rds lenses : needs more reports.
    3. Stabilisation. E-M5, e-P5 and E-M1 have the best, currently. Believe it.
    4. Glasses. I have no idea.

8. Ginny

Ginny New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2013
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    Thank you all the reply, very useful info :th_salute:

9. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I can not wear glasses while using the EVF on my GX7, a tilting EVF in a rangefinder body makes it a bit more pokey than the E-M1's EVF from my experience.

Great camera but definitely use it if possible before you buy.

10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I can wear glasses while using the GX7 EVF, as can many others, and see the whole screen for 4:3 shooting.

I have heard reports that the VF4 and EM1 viewfinders have so much image magnification that you need to have eye close to the EVF to see it all and wearing glasses makes this harder. So maybe also use these cameras if possible before you buy. (isn't this general advice anyway?)

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    mirrorlessons were quite impressed with C-AF in their review of the GX7, quote:

12. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Best of luck

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I wear glasses and the EVF works fine. I can see the whole frame in 4:3, which is what I normally use, since everything else is just a crop of that anyway. And don't assume the bigger EVF means there won't be any issue with glasses. I've used FF 35mm cameras that I couldn't see the entire image without moving my eye around (and others that I could.

Panasonic's latest cameras (GH3, G6, GX7) have pretty amazing C-AF. Better than quite a few DSLRs:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51955665

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51957330

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Meyerweb thanks for the links : four months ago and I missed those threads completely!
    It is strange there isn't much noise about the G6 C-AF when everyone's discussing E-M1 and GX7 ... and with the recent G6 bargains it all might resurface in more discussions.

15. kitkatherine

kitkatherine New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Katherine
    1. Similar - with some caveats. White fur does not focus well (dogs, I've learned to focus on brown fur instead). As long as you are focusing on something it understands (really extremes like all white or all black dogs, for example), it's incredibly fast. The burst mode is a lot faster than my DSLR ever was, by the by, which makes all the difference for me at least.
    2. No idea - sorry!
    3. this photo was taken, handheld, in a room only lit by a Christmas tree (not an incredibly bright one at that) and a light on in a room two over. 1/13 second. I don't have another example of handheld slow with my Minolta on, but I know I've gotten it down to 1 and been fine.
    11429000925_d6497df314_n.
    4. Not a glasses person myself - sorry.

16. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    1. How good is GX-7 AF tracking for moving object compare to EM-1 (on m4/3 lenses) or DSLR?
    I can't give any input on this - I manual focus 99% of the time using focus peaking.

2. If I get GX-7 with Olympus lenses, will the body fix the CA and Distortion? or I have to do that in Lightroom?
    I haven't used any Olympus lenses with my GX7.

3. I know that IBIS in GX-7 is not as good as EM-1, but wonder what's the speed you guys can handheld?
    The GX7 IBIS works quite well. I have had some success at 1/3 sec.

4. I wear eye glasses, wonder if I can see the whole frame in the EVF without taking the glasses off? (this issue won't happen with EM-1 which has bigger EVF)
    The GX7 is the only EVF that does not vignette when I wear my glasses. I have tried them all (Olympus and Panasonic). The GH3, EM5 and EM-1 have darkened corners. The larger size of the EM-1 EVF only offers me a larger vignette image. This was a big thing for me. Because of the many responses to this issue I believe that different eyeglass prescriptions give different results. The only sure way to see which EVF works the best for you is to try each camera yourself. You must make sure the eyepiece diopter is properly adjusted for your vision. Of all the u4/3 cameras I own, the diopter adjustment is the easiest on the GX7 and the most difficult on the GH3.

Mike

• Like Like x 1