Thinking about the Olympus 11-22mm zoom

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by PeterB666, Mar 19, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I need a good wide angle lens for dawn/dusk/night photography for my E-P1.

Currently I am stuck with my Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 which isn't wide enough and the Olympus 14-42 doesn't care for Coken filters due to the weak AF motor.

I have been thinking of either the Olypus 11-22mm as is a faster than other wide offerings and is readily available second-hand at a price I can afford.

My other option would be the forthcoming Olympus 9-18mm zoom but gee that's slow at the long end. While the aperture itself isn't a problem, it shure makes a difference trying to compose on the LCD in bad light.

Anyone using the 11-22mm on either the E-P1 or E-P2. What's it like with handing and AF (even though I won't be using AF much).

Any opinions on which may be the best choice? I would consider other alternatives but the Panasonic 7-14mm is far too expensive.

Cheers

Peter

2. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Rather than the 11/22 I would consider the current 4/3 9/18, cheaper and lighter and AF works which I think 11/22 doesn't suport contrast AF. (not 100% sure)

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I use the ZD 11-22 on the Pen, CDAF works with all 4/3rds standard lenses no problem.

E-P1 + ZD 11-22mm f2.8-3.5
    1/800s f/2.8 at 11.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

It's optically superior to the ZD 9-18, and the build quality is superb - weather sealed and bombproof... designed for use with the E-1/E-3. If you want the speed of aperture at this focal length, there's no better choice.

However, I do like to have the lighter, more compact ZD 9-18 to hand, and it balances better on the Pen... the m4/3rds option will be even better.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 4
  4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks Brian. The 11-22 has a 72mm filter thread. Do you think it would vignette with Cokin 85mm wide filters?

5. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Brian

Thanks for clarifying that, out of interest can you confirm which current 4/3 lenses will work with AF using a Panny G1

Regards Phil

6. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Peter, I made a note of my filter kit... here we go :

For anyone wondering exactly what you'd need for an Neutral Density Graduated Filter kit for use with the ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60 or Leica 14-150 OIS... here's the parts list.

LEFK Lee Foundation Kit : £49.70
    LEW72 Lee Wide-angle Adapter 72mm : £33
    CKZNDKIT Cokin Z-Pro ND Kit : £89.95

+ P&P & VAT = £180.60 in total

Speed Graphic are a recommended source in the UK.

Very good customer service.

Cheers

Brian

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Chris Light

Chris Light New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2011
    Fallbrook, CA
    Hi all. First post here, so be gentle :)

i just purchased the Oly 11-22 discussed in this thread. I'll be using it with my GH1. I havent gotten the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter yet, but i had a question...

regarding the focus distance markers on the lens.....is it supposed to rotate with the focus ring when the lens isn't mounted, or is it engaged when the lens is mounted? just curious, because mine does not rotate when it's not mounted, and i want to make sure there's no defect before i order the adapter.

Thanks for any input!

Chris

9. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

The focus distance markers operate when the lens is attached to the camera Chris. The 11-22 is a wonderful lens, I use mine on my EP 2 and although it is a little big the image quality is wonderful.

10. Chris Light

Chris Light New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2011
    Fallbrook, CA
    thats just the info i needed Gilly, thank you much! im excited to start using it.

11. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    How does it AF ( I use the 12-60 with EP2 EPL1) works ok but AF hunts quite a bit Results are SHARP
    11-22 is one great lens as all HG/SHG lenses .. some say they are the best Digital lenses out there. :2thumbs:

12. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Autofocus is slow, probably in the same league as the 12-60. I tend to use manual focus which is isn't a hardship using the VF 2.

13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    None of my 4/3 lenses autofocus quickly (by SLR standards), even the CDAF optimized ones. I don't expect my E-P1 to be speed machine anyway so I don't particularly mind.

14. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Chris and Gilly. Yes I loved my 4/3 glass but was frustrated with it on :43: and sold it all.

15. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    :eek: