Thinking about the 45mm 1.8 again

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Donsantos, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Donsantos

Donsantos Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2012
    I had this lens for the gf1 but returned t because it was a little soft wide open. I'm thinking of trying it again for 315$ refurbished and see how it fairs with my gx1. What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    This lens is known for being sharp wide open :confused: Maybe you just had a bad copy. I dont have the lens (my Canon FD 50mm works for me), but I do covet it :biggrin:

3. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    The 45mm is not exactly what I'd call sharp, especially wide open. At f/2.8 it is pretty sharp in the centre but distinctively soft at the edges, great for portraits with dreamy background. At f/4 it's sharp edge to edge, but again not as sharp as say the 20 or 25.
    That being said its my favourite lens for portraits, it offers very distinct signatures at different apertures one has to get to know. However, it is not a lens to show off sharpness or that will outresolve the sensor.

4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    HUH?!? :confused:

Just about EVERY review, report, etc that I've yet read on the subject has pegged the Oly 45 as among the very sharpest lenses (wide open) within the M 4/3 lineup. My own copy (used along with an Oly OM-D) easily confirms this to be the case. Compared to my Pany 20 wide open, I'd say the 45 is even a hair sharper. Go figure...

5. Donsantos

Donsantos Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2012
    must be copy variation. Can you post a 100 % crop of the 20mm and the 45mm?

my old 20mm blows the 45mm out of the water in wide open sharpness. i'm thinking I didn't have a sharp copy.

out of all the lenses I've had so far this is how I rank their wide open performance.

20mm > 25mm = 14mm > 45mm

6. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I love my 20 for the FOV and low light performance, but my 45 is definitley sharper.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi..
    U must have been a bit unlucky.I love this lens and use it extensively . Its one the sharpest native primes across all formats .
    Here is a thread of pics which I recently shot with OMD+ this lens .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    https://www.mu-43.com/f57/hot-modelsl-footy-players-omd-oly45mm1-8-deadly-combo-33703/

• Like Like x 1
  8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    yeah, that ol softie of a lens 45mm....

some of my soft shots with it:

lemay-3.

c45-15.

c45-20.

c45-3.

• Like Like x 3
  9. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I love the 45mm. It is sharp and a super fast (and silent) focuser on my OMD

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I understand the Olympus 45mm f1.8 is a great performer, small and well made!

A friend of mine has one and is producing some amazing images from it - it is also considerably cheaper and a tad faster than the PanaLeica 45 f2.8.

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, agree completely. If anything, I've read some folks not loving the 45 because it is a bit too "clinical", which to me means too sharp/revealing for portraits.

12. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    When I photograph people with this lens, I do not sharpen for reasons stated here already, the othe M4/3 lens I do a little bit even though in some cases, i could get awat with not doing so.

13. Donsantos

Donsantos Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

I've decided to pony up the 315$ and give the 45mm another chance. I figure I can always sell it for at least 300$ on craigslist.

I've also order the 14mm for 169$

now I have 14mm 25mm 45mm which gives me pretty nice coverage

14. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam

:rofl: :rofl:

15. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam

All very sharp lenses :wink:

16. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Central Park South / NYC

Ah.. Well, don't really have a true side-by-side comparison for you. Obviously the Pany 20 & Oly 45 are not close in focal length, so I'd have little reason to be shooting the same subject with both lenses... That said, the image I've posted here was shot virtually wide open (f/2.2) and was hand-held shooting with a 1/10th of a second shutter speed. As you hopefully can see, the image is truly tack sharp, even under difficult, adverse lighting.

Honestly, my only gripe about the 45 is that I wish the lens-barrel were metal instead of the cheap looking plastic "chrome". I'd easily have ponied up extra coin for a better built lens... :mad:

OMD_NYC_CPark-S_79_zps03539acf.