Thinking about starting a blog. Need some help.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gdourado, Mar 13, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal

How are you?
    Lately, I've been thinking about starting my own photo blog.
    I really like to watch some blogs around the web, and I would like to have my own.

I'm really a noob when it comes to blogging and web-design... So I don't really know where to start...

I opened a account and started looking around it.
    Would that be a good place to start?

Also, could I protect my pictures?
    I really wouldn't like to find my images around the web later...

Do you guys who have sites and blogs worry about this?

Looking forward to reading your input on this.

Best wishes!
  2. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I generally recommend Blogger since it is dead easy to set up and there are quite a lot of customisation options. I imagine Wordpress is the same. The best thing to do is jump right in and try! Learn by doing and expect to never stop learning.

As for protecting images, my advice is forget it. Anything someone can see on the web they can steal. Fact. So only upload what you wish to share. Keep file sizes small. Keep private stuff private. I watermark my photos to make it a slight bit more inconvenient for people to steal them (and they were). But I don't imagine this would stop a determined thief.
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US unforutnately limits you to what themes they have. Customizing them costs money, and at that point, I'd rather host it myself and then buy a theme or customize one. Which I've done.

Blogger is better w/ personal customization, but for some reason, I much prefer wordpress tools over it.

And as Robin stated, if you want to protect your images, don't post them online. You can watermark, but you can crop it out or "fix it." You could whole watermark, but that detracts way too much from the picture. At best, you can keep the honest people honest.